Rock Star
6505.jpg

"Clean"
:farley

"Crunch"

Lead

Basically three channels of ultra-gain.

PS.
The Badlander is now dethroned as the official TGF amp, we have more people with the 6505/5150 in this place.
Recent acquisitions by @Bruce and @bikescene and yours truly.

Who else has one?

Last edited:
Yeah, if we include all the 5150 variants, I think it’s safe to say they win here.

I see the 50-watts EVERYWHERE now, there’s so many used for sale I have the feeling in 20 years they’re going to be like pedals people forgot they owned.

Good to see more users.

All variants are plentiful and used prices seem stable here in the US. Even the block letters. I debated grabbing a used 5150/6505 vs the 1992 Original for a bit. I ultimately wanted new amp smell.

I was trying the amp through a Suhr Reactive Load the other night. Played some boring generic stuff that I was going to keep to myself: double tracked rhythm on the Green Crunch channel and some single note stuff on the Lead channel. I threw on my CL80 IRs to check them before I uploaded them to the main forum. Just eyeballed levels, so unmixed.

After reading James’s comment from another post about how the Green channel boosted was used for a lot of recorded tones, I definitely want to get some time in with some boosts on that channel.

I haven’t studied the 5150 layout extensively, but the PCB pretty much looks like the original. Some things look improved, like no epoxy around electrolytic caps and maybe streamlining of wiring floating above the PCB.

I see beefed up heater wiring and pcb traces for the output tubes (power board), J59 and J60 quick connections used to burn on the original 5150 and some early 6505 heads, the new 6505 1992 Original has screw in terminals.
Transformers and power tube sockets are screwed on to the chassis, no more permanent rivets, easier to maintain if something goes boom.
But yes, pretty much the same pcb as the og.

Back