NAD: Mystery Science Theater 3000 Edition (Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic)

Let me just clarify that you’re referring to the Electra Dyne and not “E.D.” of another sort. :grin

It was pre-Dyne, and part of the path that let me to the Dyne, eventually. I think maybe it was RA100 2x12 > Stiletto Deuce head > Electra Dyne head. (I also briefly owned the smaller Dyne 1x12 combo but didn’t like it, before all that.)

If I recall correctly, the Royal Atlantic manual say the high gain channel has the most gain of any of their amps, to that point?

What do you think of the power scaling feature? I ended up just using the master volume knob and found the scaling to be kind of a novelty.

I will say, however, that the RA100 was among the first Mesas I’d ever owned and I was a total noob at dialing them in, at that point.

Have fun with that badass beast! :love

I don't use the Power Scaling on the TA-30, so can't imagine I will on the RA. I love headroom
and maximum dynamism. :love

Yes, The Hi-Gain is way too much gain for me. I am happy with what I can get out of the Vintage
Lo/Blue Channel/Mode. It cleans up great and is super dynamic. It exhibits that Marshall vibe
in that regard. Really dynamic, sensitive, and responsive. That alone makes me happy with the
amp---even if it is a) overkill, and b) more than I need, and c) redundant, and d) nostalgic. :LOL:

I don't use the Power Scaling on the TA-30, so can't imagine I will on the RA. I love headroom
and maximum dynamism. :love

Yes, The Hi-Gain is way too much gain for me. I am happy with what I can get out of the Vintage
Lo/Blue Channel/Mode. It cleans up great and is super dynamic. It exhibits that Marshall vibe
in that regard. Really dynamic, sensitive, and responsive. That alone makes me happy with the
amp---even if it is a) overkill, and b) more than I need, and c) redundant, and d) nostalgic. :LOL:

Yes, I got great crunch tones out of it, gigged the combo a few times. :chef

As for moving it on: I have a pretty good tolerance for lugging gear - still bring my Dyne head + Recto 2x12 to every gig - but that combo definitely went over my threshold. I would actually feel physical anxiety leading up to every time I was going to have to move it. :rofl

Here’s a pic, hope you don’t mind…

IMG_6435_Original.jpeg

Did it have the side handles on the cabinet, TS?

Yes, the metal ones with rubber handles that don’t go into the actual cab, and swing up, if that makes sense. Wasn’t so bad with a band member helping, but heaving it into my van by myself was an injury waiting to happen.

Anyway, what guitar(s) have you tried with it? Humbuckers? Strat?

Yes, the metal ones with rubber handles that don’t go into the actual cab, and swing up, if that makes sense. Wasn’t so bad with a band member helping, but heaving it into my van by myself was an injury waiting to happen.

Anyway, what guitar(s) have you tried with it? Humbuckers? Strat?

Just a Charvel so far. I am going to dive in more tonight with other
guitars and maybe even stick something in the loop. :unsure:

My Trem-o-Verb has the same design/handles as the RA 2 x 12.
I could not imagine m oving it any distance with the top handle.

Kill me now! :brick

Spent a good 3 hours in front of the Royal Atlantic last night. I rifled through a
few guitars. Some were big winners paired with the RA (Edwards Goldtop and
Aerodyne Strat :love ) and some were sorry ass losers. I'll protect the innocent
by not mentioning any names. :LOL:

The biggest takeaway is how much I loathe listening to Vintage 30s solo'd and
out of a mix, while seated right in front of those nasty ass fuckers. :facepalm

I know how great they can sound. But man, those speakers get on my nerves
right away. Really stiff and forward. Like an out of control adolescent male. :bonk

I don't want to haul another cab into the living quarters to try different speakers,
so I endure the harshness. :crazy

Excited to use it with the Loadbox and then route it through the Fractal Cab Block.
This Analog Man grows more digital by the day, it seems. :beer

The biggest takeaway is how much I loathe listening to Vintage 30s solo'd and
out of a mix, while seated right in front of those nasty ass fuckers. :facepalm

I know how great they can sound. But man, those speakers get on my nerves
right away.

Man, I just love V30s in every application, including at home on their own. And loud, in a band I find them incredible. They ended the speaker search, for me. But I hear what you're saying.

Really stiff and forward. Like an out of control adolescent male. :bonk

... :rofl

Last edited:
Back