NAD - Marshall SC20H In Da' House

Byrdman

Roadie
It arrived late yesterday afternoon! I will be spending more time with it this afternoon after a too-short play session last night. so far it's a keeper but I have 45 days to make sure.

Initial impressions -
  1. It sounds great! Initially put everything on 10 then used the MV & Pre-Amp in various settings and it was awesome. I'm going to watch some YT videos to dial it in better, but seems more dynamic at lower Eq settings 6-8.
  2. It's loud, but not as loud as I thought it would be after hearing everyone's experience. With Pre-Amp at 7-8+, after about 3.5-4 on the MV it doesn't get much louder but saturates the tone more it seems. I hope this is normal. I was expecting it to be louder, but I guess since I am use to a DSL100H, I'm not going to get the volume and headroom of the 100w unless I get a 2203 or 2204.
  3. The dynamics on this amp is unbelievable, but comes with a cost. My playing sucks, lol... Every mis-picked string or string not muted properly seems to sing out. The good thing is that I'm pretty sure my playing will get a lot better using this amp over time since you have to be on top of your playing, picking, and muting techniques.
  4. With Pre-Amp 8+ and MV above 4-5 there is a hiss going on with it. Lower settings seem to be pretty quiet.
  5. Can get Plexi type tone out of Low input + Boss SD-1 - BONUS!! I have a Klon Clone I'm going to try too.
I'll get some pics up in a few min.

SC20H 2.jpg

That's awesome. Definitely still on my radar, but I may have to live vicariously through you guys for a while. Got laid off after 24 years at my company. The plus side is I got a decent severance package, so I should have plenty of time to find a new job.

Anyway, on with the happy new amp days!

That's awesome. Definitely still on my radar, but I may have to live vicariously through you guys for a while. Got laid off after 24 years at my company. The plus side is I got a decent severance package, so I should have plenty of time to find a new job.

Anyway, on with the happy new amp days!
Thank you!! That sucks! Hopefully you will find something soon.

Congrats on the amp! Not sure it works the same as the JCM8/9s do, but running it clean with the master cranked and an SD1 in front brings amazing gain tones on the big ones.

And good luck on the job hunt @Badonkey Kong !
I'll give it a try in the morning, but it should do the same just with a little less headroom.

I’d expect this to be a workalike for a 2204 - slightly smaller iron probably. It’s a great circuit.

The sound of the amp will change dramatically with guitars. It’s a different amp if you move back and forth between Gibson & Fender style guitars. That’s a feature. I love it.

As others here have pointed out, fuzz and drives in the low input do something different than the amp drive. Big Muff, Fuzz Face, DS-1, all kinds of stuff will work.

I’d expect this to be a workalike for a 2204 - slightly smaller iron probably. It’s a great circuit.

The sound of the amp will change dramatically with guitars. It’s a different amp if you move back and forth between Gibson & Fender style guitars. That’s a feature. I love it.

As others here have pointed out, fuzz and drives in the low input do something different than the amp drive. Big Muff, Fuzz Face, DS-1, all kinds of stuff will work.
I have been spending 99% of my time on the High channel because it sounds so good, but will be trying all sorts of stuff on the Low this weekend. For starters, I want to see what the Plexi Pre-Amp in my Stomp XL will do in the Low and in the effects loop. I have never tried 4CM with my Stomp, but will be experimenting with it a lot. the only other pedals I have are an SD-1 and a Klon Clone.

Back