NAD- ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

Even in a model it will react the same way. If you've got the input on the model above 2 or so then you're getting way more compression and gain in the input section of the Bassman than what you've got out of the DR at 2.

It's been a really long time since I played a real Bassman but I believe they start clipping earlier than a blackface amp.

Sounds like it's just not your cup of tea though and nothing wrong with that. And probably not worth battling with to try to make it your thing.

I think it was Ted Nugent who used to play live with a pyramid of 6 Twin Reverbs stacked up. Thinking about how loud that DR can be even at 2 it blows my mind thinking about how loud 6 Twins would be when they're cranked into distortion o_O

I believe there was even an era of Super Twin Reverbs. 6 x 6L6 power section = 180 watts per amp. :crazy

I bought one from a retired pedal steel player for like $350 in 2008 or so. Don't have it any longer.
There was no breakup in that thing..... just volume and more volume.

Those SV20s are dank :love

That said, I hope you keep coming around on the DR, I love these things lol

I think I'm barkin' up the wrong tree with it, the more clips I check out on the YouTubes the more I'm realizing that. I suppose these are kind of like the bridge between a Twin and a Bassman, they don't stay clean when they're cranked but they're not getting tons of dirt when they are, either.

I'll keep dickin' with it, though. I'd rather get to know it as best I can before I move it.

Yeah, the Bassman does clip a bit early but it seems to be a more appealing clipping when it happens.

A Bassman definitely clips in a very different way than a DR. Have you cranked the DR up enough to hear it start clipping?

Blackface Fenders clipping sounds "wider" to me, like a coarse grain compared to a fine grain clipping from something like a Vox.

I believe there was even an era of Super Twin Reverbs. 6 x 6L6 power section = 180 watts per amp. :crazy

I bought one from a retired pedal steel player for like $350 in 2008 or so. Don't have it any longer.
There was no breakup in that thing..... just volume and more volume.

Yeah, things got pretty crazy in the late '70s. Everything was about "more power!!" for a while.

More power tubes, master volumes, ultralinear transformers, higher efficiency speakers...

And then everyone realized the amps sounded terrible with all these "improvements" and eventually they went back to the "reissue" original specs.

A Bassman definitely clips in a very different way than a DR. Have you cranked the DR up enough to hear it start clipping?

Blackface Fenders clipping sounds "wider" to me, like a coarse grain compared to a fine grain clipping from something like a Vox.

Nope, I'd have to leave my place with it in order to crank it.

These are the 3 tones I get lost with nightly and what I want to get out of whatever amp I end up with-

It's too late to get the DR loud enough to record a clip with, but those pedals definitely don't sound like that through the DR. Normal and Bright Gain are both around 11 o'clock, haven't paid attention to what the headroom meter looks like though. The camera is sitting on the DR about a foot and a half in front of the two 2x12's the FM9 is coming out of.

@DrewJD82

The Reissues are even brighter than the original Deluxe Reverbs.

That's not surprising. My '66 Deluxe Reverb isn't particularly bright unless you crank the treble. I put an original Tone Tubby Alnico in it and that cuts the high end even more. It's a great amp for home playing or gigs in small venues.

51286002526_38f3145d17_b.jpg

That's not surprising. My '66 Deluxe Reverb isn't particularly bright unless you crank the treble. I put an original Tone Tubby Alnico in it and that cuts the high end even more. It's a great amp for home playing or gigs in small venues.

51286002526_38f3145d17_b.jpg

Nice!

Is the Super Reverb basically a Deluxe with more speakers?

Nice!

Is the Super Reverb basically a Deluxe with more speakers?

I agree with the responses above. The Super Reverb is really a completely different animal than the Deluxe Reverb. As Metro said it's more in the direction of a Twin Reverb but if pushed add some Vibrolux Reverb grind. The 4x10 configuration gives it more body than the Deluxe's 1x12 but has more detail and less punch than a 4x12.

It's one of my very favorite amps. I gigged it for years and only switched to the Sig:X with a 2x12 Fatbottom cab when we started playing larger venues. Past 6 on the volume the bottom end gets a little loose but the Sig:X is tight up to and past volumes you'd want to use on stage.

Right on, I saw the front panel and just assumed it was a bigger Deluxe. Thanks for the info, guys! I’m fairly ignorant when it comes to older Fenders….or Fender amps in general.

I run mine on the normal channel with treble set at 3 with an EVH GB. Takes
pedals great. Similar settings with a Jensen P12Q.

What's the difference between the P12Q and the P12N?

I had one of the original Lacquered Tweed Hot Rod Deluxes and it came with a made in Italy Jensen P12N, Once broken in it was a really nice speaker. It sounded a lot better than the speaker that came standard in the HRD.

I really liked that speaker but don't see it in common use.

Back