My dreamt Helix Vocals

molul

Roadie
Coming from @Lysander 's Helix LT mini mockup, I thought that would be the perfect form factor for a Helix Vocals:
hack.png

These would be my desired specs:

Hardware
  • XLR input
  • Stereo XLR output
  • Phantom switch
  • MIDI in (USB midi would be good enough)
  • DSP: the Stomp/Stomp XL horsepower should be enough
  • Form factor: the mentioned LT mini mockup
Software:
  • New blocks:
    • "Vocal harmonizer 2/3/4-voice". Monophonic formant preserving pitch shifting. Three blocks for 2, 3 or 4 harmonies (for using what's best in each case and not use unnecessary DSP). Parameters:
      • Key
      • Voice "1-4" scale (like Twin harmonies' scales)
      • Voice "1-4" shift (-9th/9th)
      • Voice "1-4" character (tweaks the formant to get the harmonies to sound like coming from another person's throat)
      • Voice "1-4" pre-delay (0-200ms)
      • Voice "1-4" detune (+/-20cents)
      • Voice "1-4" level
      • Mix
      • Level
      • A way to define your custom scales would also be really handy.
    • Voice enhancer: this is at the beginning of the chain in Boss VE500 and it improves the voice tone dramatically. I guess it's just some slightly tweakable EQ curve.
  • No need for these blocks:
    • Amps, cabs, preamp, IRs.
    • Distortion: probably just select a bunch of them. Those that make sense in the context of voice processing.
  • It would probably be necessary having the first block as dynamics only, and then the harmony as the second block. After that, any other block could be used in whatever order. I don't think I'd need more than 8 blocks (or 16 if running something on parallel)
On the other hand, I wouldn't be interested in having a separate circuit for guitar, and that chord detection feature that I think you only use it a couple of days and then you forget about it forever. For guitar processing I already have a Helix LT.

I'm surprised they haven't added any vocal specific fx to the Helix. Maybe it's because only the Floor/Rack have a mic input.

I'm surprised they haven't added any vocal specific fx to the Helix. Maybe it's because only the Floor/Rack have a mic input.
You could still plug a microphone in any other Helix device, and outputs are balanced in all of them.

Ah, I got you now: Helix LT and HXs have no mic preamp.

That's why we need the Helix Vocals! 😆

I know this is a little different than you’re thinking, but on the current HX lineup I would love to see a “channel strip” block similar to what Boss/Roland have done on their recording gear. It would be one block with gain, eq, compression & enhancer. Just something basic to run parallel to the guitar signal for a singer-songwriter gig or quick demos.

As for a vocal specific multieffects unit, I can hear @Digital Igloo saying that there’s not a market to compete with TC Helicon for a vocals box. However, I could imagine the Line 6 folks being able to create a vocal box that would capture the imaginations of singers and producers if they had the passion for it. It would have to be a combination of having accurate models of tried and true gear, plus innovative effects and maybe microphone modeling. It would be tough because the only people with more annoyingly peevish ears than guitarists are producers.

While I would love a Line 6 (HX) dedicated voice effects unit, I would much rather just have Line 6 add the effects you mention to the current hardware line up. That way the XLR input of the Floor would finally add value to the unit. As it is now, if I were looking for an integrated vocal and guitar effects unit, I would probably be looking at the Headrush Prime.

What's with the mockup? Why not just use the HX Stomp XL enclosure and add XLR in, phantom power switch and XLR stereo outs? The Stomp XL has the exact same number of switches as you have in this mockup...

Honestly if Line 6 released that form factor, I'd sell my HX Stomp, HX Effects, and probably my Quad Cortex and get one just for guitar purposes.
They did. It's the Stomp XL. Unless you mean full HX Floor or LT in the same approximate size as the Stomp XL.

While I would love a Line 6 (HX) dedicated voice effects unit, I would much rather just have Line 6 add the effects you mention to the current hardware line up. That way the XLR input of the Floor would finally add value to the unit. As it is now, if I were looking for an integrated vocal and guitar effects unit, I would probably be looking at the Headrush Prime.

What's with the mockup? Why not just use the HX Stomp XL enclosure and add XLR in, phantom power switch and XLR stereo outs? The Stomp XL has the exact same number of switches as you have in this mockup...

They did. It's the Stomp XL. Unless you mean full HX Floor or LT in the same approximate size as the Stomp XL.
Stomp xl form factor is gross though. Full HX screen for that many switches.

I definitely meant full Helix DSP in a medium package. I had a Stomp XL and didn't like the form factor. This medium sized one with the full screen and interface is great. I could see 10 switches instead of 8 as well. Also having the IEC power cord would be a huge benefit for standalone use.

A footswitch is 3/8" across. The graphics would be way too small for most to read!

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Not sure if I get you. Do you mean the screen in the mockup is smaller than the one in Helix LT or Floor?

I don't know how it compares in size to any other units. I just superimposed one of the footswitches
over top of the display for perspective.

Back