MIDIGuitar 3 is for real!

I sold off all my guitar synth stuff over last few months and the Fishman Triple Play floor controller was the last to go. (I’m trying to be a keys player… more a ‘user’ than what you would call a player but loving it)
Anyway sellers remorse set in and I was about to buy FTP Connect for those times I want synth sounds to use with my guitar player brain since I can’t improvise on a keybed as well as I’d like. Instead I took a chance on MG2 license for $149 and a day later installed the MG3 beta.

It is so wonderful to be able to plug a guitar, any guitar you like, into your interface and have such good tracking. It is better than the FTP that I was about to buy that would cost me almost twice as much. And the software, even in its buggy beta state, you can see the impressive potential.
When I think about the freedom from extra hardware combined with the excellent tracking, MPE / polyphonic nature and how the MG3 software seems to be heading toward a great design I think I can genuinely say ‘Game Changer’ status is warranted.
I think so because a lot of guitar players don’t bother with pitch to midi solutions due to the inherent problems. However, when word gets out, a lot of them who resisted it will become happy users. So that’s a change in the whole of the guitar game.
Well done Jam Origins for the MG3!

high quality GIF

I sold off all my guitar synth stuff over last few months and the Fishman Triple Play floor controller was the last to go. (I’m trying to be a keys player… more a ‘user’ than what you would call a player but loving it)
Anyway sellers remorse set in and I was about to buy FTP Connect for those times I want synth sounds to use with my guitar player brain since I can’t improvise on a keybed as well as I’d like. Instead I took a chance on MG2 license for $149 and a day later installed the MG3 beta.

It is so wonderful to be able to plug a guitar, any guitar you like, into your interface and have such good tracking. It is better than the FTP that I was about to buy that would cost me almost twice as much. And the software, even in its buggy beta state, you can see the impressive potential.
When I think about the freedom from extra hardware combined with the excellent tracking, MPE / polyphonic nature and how the MG3 software seems to be heading toward a great design I think I can genuinely say ‘Game Changer’ status is warranted.
I think so because a lot of guitar players don’t bother with pitch to midi solutions due to the inherent problems. However, when word gets out, a lot of them who resisted it will become happy users. So that’s a change in the whole of the guitar game.
Well done Jam Origins for the MG3!
I wish they'd get the ball rolling on something besides the MacOS version. No idea on an ETA. I use the Windows and iPadOS versions of MG2 - mainly the latter. I absolutely love it but there's room for improvement, and I'm looking forward to seeing what v3 brings to the table.

I’m using the Windows MG3 beta.
Came out a couple days ago apparently. I’m curious to see what you think. And I’m betting JT buys a breath controller for full on Trumpet mojo with the money he saves selling all his Roland Boss gear lol

I’m using the Windows MG3 beta.
Came out a couple days ago apparently. I’m curious to see what you think. And I’m betting JT buys a breath controller for full on Trumpet mojo with the money he saves selling all his Roland Boss gear lol
giphy.gif

That's huge news! Thank you!

I'm off to Jam Origin's website to find out how much of my money you just spent. ;)

Holy hell, their website is a mess. :sofa "Coming soon! Features you've been using for years! Completely MIA: Our latest products!"

OK, I finally found the beta, by clicking around more or less at random:

If I hadn't been told it was out, I never would have found it. I'm disappointed there's no plug-in version yet (I always have MG2 on a track in my Ableton Live template) but I still can't wait to try it!

Yes I can't wait till I can sell a working dedicated hardware box to buy some VST that I now have to lug a laptop around with to gigs or better yet an IOS device in hopes to enjoying a mighty 3 fret, single string stretch of flawless tracking.
:poop::poop::poop:

girl crying GIF

Yes I can't wait till I can sell a working dedicated hardware box to buy some VST that I now have to lug a laptop around with to gigs or better yet an IOS device in hopes to enjoying a mighty 3 fret, single string stretch of flawless tracking.
:poop::poop::poop:

girl crying GIF
Honestly, an iPad is typically less "luggage" than a hardware synth, and it's just about all GUI, which is nice. Admittedly, it takes a little time/ creativity to configure to where it's stage-ready (e.g. hold my calls and don't automatically shut down in the middle of the 2nd song) and mount effectively somewhere.

If things come out as a wash (as they so often do), JamOrigin pulls ahead for me because I can play it with any guitar I feel like grabbing on any given day, as opposed to that one guitar with the big mole and the weird-ass cable.

4baabbd8-7341-42d1-8e70-df401696cfb3_text.gif

(And this new thing with synths that don't have 13-pin input but instead require a $200 conversion dongle puts me off even more. Now even my formerly "elegant" Roland-ready Strat manages to be a PITA. Huzzah!)

You kind of lost me with "a mighty 3 fret, single string stretch..." What are we referring to here?

(And this new thing with synths that don't have 13-pin input but instead require a $200 conversion dongle puts me off even more. Now even my formerly "elegant" Roland-ready Strat manages to be a PITA. Huzzah!)

You kind of lost me with "a mighty 3 fret, single string stretch..." What are we referring to here?
They all have compromises and caveats. For sure. My POV is always coming from a live performance thought process vs. home recording/playing. Switching between sounds on an IOS device or laptop while using a traditional rig is an additional ugh for me that I didn't even care to bring into the discussion
:oops::brick:ROFLMAO:

The number of times I have tried seeing what the hubub is all about has consisted of me having like a 3 fret sweet spot on the A or D string around the 3rd-7th fret area where a single piano note from the stock default toneset will fire off at a given moment. It continues to be the thing that everyone says is so great that is 1000% the opposite experience every time I have tried it. Clunky, slow and nowhere near the game changer I am repeatedly told it is vs. using my old a$$ sounding PCM flute tones from the GR whatever and now my GM.

I honestly think it is going to take someone who this setup working passing me a device already configured and optimized for this for me to see the light on this thing.

I honestly think it is going to take someone who this setup working passing me a device already configured and optimized for this for me to see the light on this thing.
One of my "dream jobs" is opening a little brick and mortar shop where I'd perform exactly this service for local musicians. Unfortunately, every person on earth who might be willing to pay for that service is probably in this thread at this moment. Not very reassuring for the bank loan officer LOL.

P.S. Switching between sounds is as easy as sending MIDI PC#. There are caveats (specifically: audio gaps) if switching between different plugins, but this can be overcome with a good AU plugin host.

One of my "dream jobs" is opening a little brick and mortar shop where I'd perform exactly this service for local musicians. Unfortunately, every person on earth who might be willing to pay for that service is probably in this thread at this moment. Not very reassuring for the bank loan officer LOL.

P.S. Switching between sounds is as easy as sending MIDI PC#. There are caveats (specifically: audio gaps) if switching between different plugins, but this can be overcome with a good AU plugin host.
It's one of those things where the juice is not worth the squeeze compared to just using a dedicated Roland/Boss footpedal with switches built in. As terrible as those (GR era) switches may be. I am too far into the Roland "journey" to turn back now
New York City Omg GIF by Max

Presumably true of the standalone beta - but after I've fallen in love with it, I wonder what the update from MG2 to MG3 will cost. I can't imagine that will be free?
I think so but maybe I’m being optimistic. Read this exchange and tell me how you interpret the answer:

I think so but maybe I’m being optimistic. Read this exchange and tell me how you interpret the answer:

Actually I think you may be right. Their website refers to a “lifetime authorization” or something to that effect. Huzzah! :)

Back