MIDI Controller For DAW

Are you using it just for simple synth riffs and such?

Years ago I picked up a cheapo on Amazon, the midiplus akm320

s-l640.jpg

It worked great for many years but I decided I needed more bells and whistles so I picked up the Oxygen Pro mini

opMini_comp.png

I much prefer the feel of the keys on the akm320 and I don't use the pads or sliders as much on the oxygen pro as I thought I would so... I dunno, I go back and forth.

I will say that I like the 32 keys cause it's still small, but you get another octave out of it. The 25 keys are just, small.

The oxygen pro has a built in arrpegiator, so that can be fun.

What kind of things do you want to do?

I'd like to trigger some VI in my DAW via MIDI. maybe add some synth. Trigger some drums. So I am
thinking something with both pads and keys, and a few knobs. Limited desk space so 32 or 37 key. 49
is probably too big and 25 is probably too small. :idk

I'd like to trigger some VI in my DAW via MIDI. maybe add some synth. Trigger some drums. So I am
thinking something with both pads and keys, and a few knobs. Limited desk space so 32 or 37 key. 49
is probably too big and 25 is probably too small. :idk
If you're just wanting to play in bass lines, some simple block chords, etc., 37 is prooooobably workable. I've been working on my actual key playing skills and 49 is starting to feel cramped...but so, too, is the synth action.

Getting a desk with a solid layout for a keyboard under the desk reeeeeeallly upped my "productivity". See below. Prior to this it wasn't just a matter of the controller taking a lot of space, it was that the controller, mouse, computer keyboard were always competing for prime central real estate.

I don't really like playing drums in on any pads I've had...I've never had any where I didn't still need to go in and do a lot of velocity drawing/manipulating. I find I'm faster just mousing in drum notes on piano roll, oddly, but I also use SD which has some humanizing features that can loosen that approach up feel wise.

Mine is the Arturia Key Lab mk Ii. I got it because it has CV outs, DAW transport control, and the sliders and knobs can be easily set up to control volume sliders and pans on 8 tracks in a DAW. I use the DAW transport buttons alllllllllll the time and wouldn't wanna be without them now. Use the sliders/knobs for mixing a little, but not as much as I imagined. Haven't used the CV outs yet, but still hope for the day! Keybed feels solid.

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_223136994.jpg
    PXL_20230106_223136994.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
Nice. Thanks so much! That Arturia is already on my short list. I have some stand-alone 61 key workstations
and can play some keys. Mostly just looking for something short and sweet to be permanently integrated
with my desk/DAW setup like you have.

May have to get a new desk to accommodate something bigger/better. :LOL:

Nice. Thanks so much! That Arturia is already on my short list. I have some stand-alone 61 key workstations
and can play some keys. Mostly just looking for something short and sweet to be permanently integrated
with my desk/DAW setup like you have.

May have to get a new desk to accommodate something bigger/better. :LOL:
Honestly, the $800 I spent on the Output desk is some of the best gear money I've spent - cable management is a breeze with it, the keyboard tray is very solid, and I've always got plenty of room for everything.

Hahaha I’m just using a folding table you can buy at Target for my studio desk. This is some M-Audio controller GC had for $99 on sale, it just happens to slide ride under my iMac.

58A86645-A66B-4747-B42B-99E6B6FE2E0D.jpeg

So I just pull it out when I use it. I don’t need to pull the keyboard out, everything is accessible there.

Keystation mk3 (61) seems good enough for me.

I didn’t want any extra pads or controllers, just keys to do keys things if the moment comes… and I have this desk with a sliding thingy so it’s hidden under. I’ve had it for a year… but never actually use it haha. But at least I have it if I want to learn to play keys :LOL:
And someone told me to get 61 for some reason I can’t remember if I wanted to learn “piano”….

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting the Akai MPD218 just to trigger drums in Logic. (All pads no keys) Anyone use one of these?

I have the 226, I probably should have bought this one because I really only use the pads. Works as advertised and simple to program. Adequate editor. Steps up drum production a lot better than hunting down kit pieces on a keyboard. Get this item.

*edit* the only thing I'd miss is the transport controls. I do tend to use them when I'm writing drum parts. If you think you would too, maybe consider the 226. Either way this isn't a deal breaker and both would step up your drum production.

Last edited:
To the op: this is a go big or go home purchase. If your needs are basic, you aren't really a keyboard player and just want to lay down some chords or basic stuff, don't overspend. 100-200 bucks max. Quality across the board will be adequate to do what you need but don't expect much feel under your fingers. Plastic keys with no weight. I had an M Audio key station for years, was 100 bucks and served me just fine. I ended up upgrading to a komplete Kontrol a few years ago just as a splurge purchase and after setting it up and playing with the NI integration I really never use the features. I do enjoy the semi weighted keys. Looking back I'd have been better served with a simpler controller with better action. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with and how it is.

I have the 226, I probably should have bought this one because I really only use the pads. Works as advertised and simple to program. Adequate editor. Steps up drum production a lot better than hunting down kit pieces on a keyboard. Get this item.

*edit* the only thing I'd miss is the transport controls. I do tend to use them when I'm writing drum parts. If you think you would too, maybe consider the 226. Either way this isn't a deal breaker and both would step up your drum production.

Yeah I found out quick that hell on earth is using a mouse to program drums. I figure a MIDI controller to trigger my drums would eliminate about 90% of the fuss, by just being able to do a live take via pads to get the foundation of the parts down. (Then tweak as needed with the mouse to finish it off)

What is the “transport” feature?

How hard is it to map the pads? (I use a GetGood drums plug with Logic)

Yeah I found out quick that hell on earth is using a mouse to program drums. I figure a MIDI controller to trigger my drums would eliminate about 90% of the fuss, by just being able to do a live take via pads to get the foundation of the parts down. (Then tweak as needed with the mouse to finish it off)

What is the “transport” feature?

How hard is it to map the pads? (I use a GetGood drums plug with Logic)
Mapping the pads is pretty simple with the online editor. Shows you each pad and options for note choice, color etc etc so you can really customize it. My kicks are blue, snares red, hats yellow etc etc. Transport is stop, start and record so you don't have to use the mouse for those daw functions.

The hardest part about working with midi drums is thinking like a drummer. By far. I don’t drum. Never cared about it until I had to start writing drum parts. I started watching and really listening to drummers. Then my parts got better. Still not as good as a real drummer but they’re passable at least and fit better than drag and drop.

Back