Mexican Strat With Sharp Frets?

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Bought this guitar new a year or two but never really played it. Finaly took it off the wall and can't believe how sharp the frets are. Anyone dealt with this before?

20210610_150430.jpg

Both of my Mexican made Fenders (Roadworn Strat and Charvel San Dimas) had fret sprout. It’s a common issue with guitars made in that factory and can be easily corrected by a luthier, or if you’re up to the task, with one of these or something similar:

MiM Quality is by far sub par
my first ever guitar was a Fender player series had nothing but problems with it, sold 6 months later and no regrets, I replaced it with a Yamaha PAC510v cost less than the player series and was by far superior in every aspect.
and yes fret sprouts, Bought a Chravel which comes out of the same factory, the neck was misaligned and had a bad setup along with fret sprouts, all resolved now and I love it now , but there were growing pains
I will try to avoid anything Fender

It's due to the neck/wood shrinking. Frets don't sprout or grow. :LOL:

At one time those frets were probably perfect, and then wood does what
wood can do----especially if deprived of moisture/relative humidity for a
prolonged period of time.

200.gif
How long and what type of moisture? I mean can you put it scientifically? Haha

Only guitar I have had like this. Thing could cut your fingers off if you grab it wrong. I actually like it otherwise.

Going to have to get a file...

As for My Charvel its Roasted Maple, so it should not have any play, its been caramelized and torrefied, I suspect just bad out of the Factory since i have had them done its been great ever since, and yes here in Quebec very cold and high humidity weather shifts
none of my 3 other guitars had fret issues, Godin Ct Classic, Yamaha Revstar and LTD EC-1000

:idk

I live in a place with crazy shifts in humidity, and the humidity often dips into the teens, so this is something I’m used to.

I’m also really picky about fret end dressing.

So I keep fret end files handy and just plan on dressing the fret ends on any new fretted instrument I buy.

My understanding is that less expensive instruments are often more prone to this at first because they don’t allow the wood time to dry out and settle before building them.

The good news is that it’s a really simple thing to fix

Both of my Mexican made Fenders (Roadworn Strat and Charvel San Dimas) had fret sprout. It’s a common issue with guitars made in that factory and can be easily corrected by a luthier, or if you’re up to the task, with one of these or something similar:

I have this StewMac file and I've probably used it on a half dozen guitars. It has a rounded safe edge, so you don't need to protect the fingerboard or binding while you're using it. Great item.

Back