Memorial for Bernie Marsden

Piing

Roadie
The Bernie Marsden / Micky Moody was the first Whitesnake I saw live. I have fond memories of it

May he rest in peace, as our beloved Jon

A legend

I would love to get some of his books

Last edited:
Last night I was reading Bernie Marsden's book "Where's My Guitar?"
My wife told me she'd just seen online that Bernie had passed away.
Oh my God!
That hit me like a brick!
Bernie was a great guitar player and wrote some great songs for Whitesnake.
Most of all he was a humble, generous man and will be greatly missed.
Condolences to Bernie's family at this sad time.

Rest In Peace Bernie Marsden

Edited for spelling mistake.

Last edited:
The Bernie Marsden /Mel Galley was the first Whitesnake I saw live. I have fond memories of it

May he rest in peace, as our beloved Jon

A legend

I would love to get some of his books

So who was responsible for changing up the feel of Here I Go Again when it kicks in? I'm thinking..., maybe Sykes?

The whole sound of the band changed when Sykes joined. I think Coverdale was looking for a more American rock sound. Which, to be fair, gained Whitesnake a lot more fans, coverage ( esp. on MTV) and made a lot more money.
But for me, the classic blues/rock of the Marsden /Moody line up was the best Whitesnake of all.

The whole sound of the band changed when Sykes joined. I think Coverdale was looking for a more American rock sound. Which, to be fair, gained Whitesnake a lot more fans, coverage ( esp. on MTV) and made a lot more money.
But for me, the classic blues/rock of the Marsden /Moody line up was the best Whitesnake of all.

+1

And to the Americanization we have to add the departure of Jon Lord. His absence made it a very different band. But that was not a bad thing, because then he rejoined Deep Purple for good, and the new Whitesnake also did great things.

Whitesnake was pretty much my first rock band I listened to as a kid, so Bernie and Moody were my first heroes alongside Blackmore.
Met Bernie a couple times and he was as British as they come, jovial, funny and very friendly.
Last time I saw him was with "The Snakes" in 1998. Moody, Marsden , Jørn Lande vocals, Sid Ringsby bass and Willy Bendiksen on drums.
Lande does an incredible early Coverdale, goosebumps all night!

I met Bernie years ago, after seeing his band Alaska. He was so kind and generous with his time. Talked to a group of us for quite a while.
I still can't quite believe he's no longer with us 😔

So who was responsible for changing up the feel of Here I Go Again when it kicks in? I'm thinking..., maybe Sykes?

Wasn't it Adrian Vandenberg who played on the popular/later version of the song?? :unsure:

I think that whole story was partly responsible for Coverdale and Sykes falling out. He was
threatened when Vandenberg came in and redid his parts for that song. Guess Sykes playing
was a bit too aggressive for what Coverdale was going for.

I may be remembering this all wrong, too. :LOL:

Wasn't it Adrian Vandenberg who played on the popular/later version of the song??
He played the solo, but Sykes was on that version of the song.
I think that whole story was partly responsible for Coverdale and Sykes falling out. He was
threatened when Vandenberg came in and redid his parts for that song. Guess Sykes playing
was a bit too aggressive for what Coverdale was going for.

I may be remembering this all wrong, too. :LOL:
I honestly don't know the details. But I got the impression that Coverdale just didn't want anyone in that band eclipsing him. Sykes was the whole package.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Don't ask me where, but there was an interview where Vandenberg mentions going into the studio for
that session while Whitesnake was recording that album. Adrian had zero idea he was walking into an
Hornet's Nest. He even mentioned overhearing the shouting match that ensued.

Adrian also said he played on the entire song and recut Sykes rhythm tracks, too. :idk

See if I can find it.

Last edited:

Found it. Pretty much what I remembered. My memory is not as bad as I had assumed. :chef

Adrian also wrote the songs for Slip Of The Tongue and didn't play on the album due to a
wrist injury. So Vai played on it. Then Adrian had to learn Vai's parts for the live shows when
Vai left. :brick

Coverdale goes through guitarists like a toddler goes through underwear. :LOL:

Sad to hear.

Had the Marsden Marshall and that thing was a breather with seemingly no negative feedback. It arrived damaged though I wish I would have kept it.

RIP Bernie!

I honestly don't know the details. But I got the impression that Coverdale just didn't want anyone in that band eclipsing him. Sykes was the whole package.

Just guessing, but I could see it being a money/control thing, too.

ie. Sykes warranting/deserving full member, equal-split + decision-making status and Vandenburg being a much cheaper, hired young guy thing…

The way Adrian tells the story is that he had no idea what was going on, and he was invited to the
studio AFTER Sykes was done with all of his guitar tracks for that album. Adrian is working
some ideas up in a different room (for Here I Go Again, I am assuming) and then Sykes shows
up unexpectedly to the studio, and realizes what is going on (behind his back). He flips his lid
on Coverdale (deservedly so!). I recall reports of Sykes wanting to throw down right there.

He does have his publishing, so I am sure he is doing ok $$$.... but that was still shit from Coverdale.
People being used by other people for the latter person's personal gain and profit. Such a novel idea! :facepalm

Man, reading up some Whitesnake history and once John Koladner got ahold of Cooverdale
the band really changed. Sounds like he, as an A&R guy, knew how to take advantage of Coverdale's
growing ego and personal ambition and together they did whatever it took to make Whitesnake
a massive global success.

Back