Mass IT Outage. Is it affecting you?

Laxu is dead on. It boggles the mind how this wasn’t caught in testing, or more importantly, that they don’t do staggered rollouts so they minimize the exposure should something slip past during testing. This is the hold my beer approach to patching, let’s blast this shit out to everyone on a Friday!

Unless it wasn't an accident. Anything is possible these days, even things that seem too outrageous to be true.

LOL! The canonical IT expert solution x15 :rofl

View attachment 25390

REBOOT AGAIN

1000133492.gif

My biz doesn't rely on Microsoft for anything except Word, Excel - and we definitely don't use fucking Outlook. Or "cloud" anything MS. Or Crowdstrike.

We have our own email servers and are connecting via Thunderbird & MacMail. Any other systems are ours and running off our own servers.

We manage everything.

Life is good (as usual).

OTOH, I feel for all the poor IT bastards out there who have to triage this fucking mess at their corporations.

Except you can’t get to WORD where your resume file lives due to your own company’s boo boo…
I keep all my important shit backed up on a local, air-gapped computer. Probably because I'm old, and don't trust tech a whole helluva lot in general, wrt my personal info.

Shit, I used Ticketmaster (cuz I HAD to if I wanted to see John Petrucci) ONCE, one FUCKING TIME, and of course, I had to D/L their app to do so.

Couple weeks ago I get an email saying they had a security breach, along with a list of all the things I NOW GOTTA DO to ensure somebody in bumfuck doesn't steal my money, somehow.

I really don't understand it, but I am so skeptical of most of it.

I got pinged at work this morning by a coworker.

We are almost entirely in Azure.

Him: is CrowdStrike going to impact our SAP Upgrades that are starting today?

Me: WTF is CrowdStrike?
(Google, Google...)

Me: Probably not since all our systems are Linux ;)

We did have a little impact yesterday from the Azure issue...

(Google, Google...)

Yeah, Central US was a shit show for a while there. Every time I refreshed the Azure status page, the list of affected services just kept getting longer and longer.

(Google, Google...)

The amusing thing is that Crowdstrike has Mac and Linux clients too; I run it on my Linux workstations. They just weren’t affected by this fuckup.

I work in the aerospace/defense industry and our entire lab of test PC's got "blue screened". IT is in over the weekend to fix the System32/CrowdStrike folder as none of us have 'admin" rights.

Back