Maintenance and Guitar Care: Essential Tips for Keeping Your Instrument in Prime Condition

Most guitars need a setup on the change of the seasons down to the sea change in temperature and humidity. Some modern instruments less so because of things like carbon reinforcement in the neck and two way truss rods but you need to learn how to assess your own instrument even if you don’t know how to adjust it properly. Keeping strings clean makes your frets last considerably longer and old strings loose their intonation. A clean on string changes is always a good idea and there is no rule about how long strings can last because the acidity of the player’s sweat . I’ve seen strings last two hours to six months of constant use before they are degraded enough to change depending upon the individual.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Most guitars need a setup on the change of the seasons down to the sea change in temperature and humidity. Some modern instruments less so because of things like carbon reinforcement in the neck and two way truss rods but you need to learn how to assess your own instrument even if you don’t know how to adjust it properly. Keeping strings clean makes your frets last considerably longer and old strings loose their intonation. A clean on string changes is always a good idea and there is no rule about how long strings can last because the acidity of the player’s sweat . I’ve seen strings last two hours to six months of constant use before they are degraded enough to change depending upon the individual.
Sure you got a point. The thing with changing humidity when moving towards coastal area is real as per the stories I heard Not just on guitar but also on furniture. As for the string I find myself frequently changing the D and G even when I simply store my guitar.

Sure you got a point. The thing with changing humidity when moving towards coastal area is real as per the stories I heard Not just on guitar but also on furniture. As for the string I find myself frequently changing the D and G even when I simply store my guitar.
G D what is happening to them? I only ever swap a single string if the others are basically new. Coated strings are good if you have a lot of guitars and hardly play some of them.

If your strings tarnish badly when left it is likely that you have high acidity in your sweat. You need to clean down the strings thoroughly when you stop playing and probably use a coated string.

Back