Line 6 Relay G10S Wireless

Jarick

Rock Star
I've been using the Lekato 5.8 ghz $50 set off Amazon the last several months and it's okay. I like not having wires quite a bit, latency seems pretty low, and the flexible plugs are nice for different guitars. However, I found I was constantly forgetting to switch them off so they were always dead, charging is a pain because of the USB cable, and I was getting a lot of noise and dropouts especially when the battery started to run low.

So I picked up a Line 6 G10S wireless unit. It's the nicer version that's got the metal body. I like that the receiver uses AC power and you can charge the plug inside it, so I should not have to worry about it dying. The receiver has LED's to indicate wireless strength as well as battery life. This one also has the cable tone switch so you can go from no cable to 10' to 30' cable to roll off high end.

First impressions are positive. It seems well built and the metal transmitter seems fairly durable. It works well with almost all my guitars, although on my 335 it stands out quite a bit from the body and on the Strat it gets a little close to the trem bar. The sound was very solid with no dropouts for the most part...at some point I was getting dropouts but realized I set my cell phone directly next to the receiver and when I moved it the problem went away.

Tonally it's a little more neutral than the Lekato which is noticeably quite bright. On the "no cable" setting there's a boost in presence (aka no cable capacitance roll off) but it's a little fuller sounding in the lows and not as sharp as the Lekato. 10' setting is fairly neutral, actually slightly less bright than an actual 10' cable in a nice way. 30' rolls off a little more too probably like a coily cable somewhat.

Another nice thing is that when you unplug the transmitter to switch guitars, there's no loud buzz like when you swap regular cables. I think there's a tiny pressure switch that must cut the signal. Well done! Oh and there's no ground noise either, so if you have a noisy guitar (like my Les Paul), that problem more or less went away. You'll still have 60 cycle hum though. And no noticeable latency I can tell.

All in all, seems like a really nice unit!

I had the transmitter for a hot minute when I had the Yamaha THR30II (ended up returning it). I was very impressed with the build quality and performance of the wireless unit.

The pressure switch is definitely a nice touch, as is the charging receiver.

Yep still using the original G10 too. I got it originally for live use, but it is so convenient at home! It sits on my desk with a cable running out to my Helix so it’s always ready to go and no guitar cables to deal with.

Back