Line 6 mystery product speculation

None of which refutes what I wrote in my post. 2015 (or 2017 or 2019) is more than "a few years ago", and again, Moore's Law is a very specific thing.

That technology improves over time is almost a given.
Since I was talking about a device which came out in 2015 and I even said 2015, I'm not sure what your point is then.

I don't know if its true for SHARCs but if its not, that's an issue specifically to that company itself, not chip design in general. Yes, there are some serious slowdowns and goofiness going on with CPU power in general, but its not like a 2024 intel (even with all the crazy problems they are having) isn't faster and cheaper than a 2015 one was
Of course an Intel is faster and cheaper. But DSPs for audio don’t go in millions upon millions of devices the world over. It’s a far different scale. Hence my curiosity.

That’s a question for @FractalAudio and @Digital Igloo. Most of us aren’t buying SHARC processors in bulk.
I don't sweat the cost of DSPs all that much—it's the hundreds of other parts, new tariffs, shipping cost increases, labor increases (which are more than fair), etc. For example, sheet metal costs three times what it did back when Helix was new. Therefore, whatever portion of Helix/Rack/LT's ex-factory was allocated to sheet metal, we'd have to charge 3x as much today to make the same margin.

An earlier Line 6 regime used to sweat the cost of DSPs a lot, which is why we ended up with products running older modeling engines. Today, every Helix, HX, POD, and Catalyst product is running either full Helix Core or a slightly stripped back version (no higher oversampling, slightly shorter IRs, etc.), and any ARM-based products (POD Express, HX One, Catalyst) simply run fewer blocks instead of stripping things back more. There's no reason to skimp on sound quality anymore.

Since I was talking about a device which came out in 2015 and I even said 2015, I'm not sure what your point is then.
Fair enough. I was trying to defend what I'd actually written re: Moore's Law, since you quoted me. But really, these are two completely different conversations.

DSP juice should never be an issue anymore. I can run 4 fully stuffed HX Floors on one core of my Macbook Air at 32 samples buffersize.

I think in technically we could probably close this thread
As Nexus has been confirmed that it’s just a comm protocol name like line6 link that may or may never be used
There is no current pending next Gen product called Nexus

Fair enough. I was trying to defend what I'd actually written re: Moore's Law, since you quoted me. But really, these are two completely different conversations.
I have been doing a deep dive since you mentioned it on the death of moore's law! It seems like some stuff is still cooking along, but yeah! Pretty crazy just how close we seem to be at the density and heat limits in so many places. I think I'm such a technophile that I just can't stop for a second believing that stuff will keep blasting along forever, but when you said it, I really started looking around, its pretty crazy just how huge of a topic with so many people are talking about the end of moores law

There is no current pending next Gen product called Nexus

Well...

Nexus.jpeg

FWIW: I find that to be highly interesting.
Line 6 (now Yamaha Guitar Group) has created multiple connectivity protocols:
  • FBV (1995)—DC downstream, bidirectional data over CAT-5
  • VDI (2002, 7 years later)—2 channels of audio upstream, DC downstream, bidirectional data over CAT-5
  • L6 LINK (2010, 8 years later)—8 channels of audio downstream, bidirectional data over AES/EBU (110-ohm XLR)
  • Maybe one or two others that were scrapped and never made it into any products
Now 14 years after L6 LINK, it may simply be time to try (with an emphasis on try) something new.

Nexus may not show up in any product, but if it does, it may be more likely a Yamaha thing than a Line 6 or Ampeg thing. IIRC, it was not originally designed for guitar-centric gear, and remember, YGG is also home to one of YCJ's many R&D arms.

The kids at The Other Place© are still talking about how Nexus must mean we're doing some sort of profiling engine, even after they've been corrected multiple times. <facepalm>

Last edited:
Line 6 (now Yamaha Guitar Group) has created multiple connectivity protocols:
  • FBV (1995)—DC downstream, bidirectional data over CAT-5
  • VDI (2002, 7 years later)—2 channels of audio upstream, DC downstream, bidirectional data over CAT-5
  • L6 LINK (2010, 8 years later)—8 channels of audio downstream, bidirectional data over AES/EBU (110-ohm XLR)
  • Maybe one or two others that were scrapped and never made it into any products
Now 14 years after L6 LINK, it may simply be time to try (with an emphasis on try) something new.

Nexus may not show up in any product, but if it does, it may be more likely a Yamaha thing than a Line 6 or Ampeg thing. IIRC, it was not originally designed for guitar-centric gear, and remember, YGG is also home to one of YCJ's many R&D arms.

The kids at The Other Place© are still talking about how Nexus must mean we're doing some sort of profiling engine, even after they've been corrected multiple times. <facepalm>

1000060951.gif

You could still call that profiling engine you're working on something else, couldn't you?

Back