Lifelong Education & Ongoing Enrichment For Adults

la szum

Goatlord
There are a lot of smart, schooled, educated, down-to-earth, experienced, and aware folks here. Thought
a thread about ongoing education and adult enrichment would be cool. I was thinking back to my
childhood, and how they had "Adult Education" classes at the local schools in the evenings. People would
come and learn Pottery, Macrame, Woodworking, Writing, and even Auto Repair as I recall. I know because
in order to graduate on time with my class I had to take the Wednesday night Adult Woodworking Class
taught my Stan "The Man," McMann. True story. :whistle

Anywho, that made an impression on me about the value of ongoing education and adult learning well into
life. Such an impression that I cannot imagine it ever ceasing in my own lifetime. There is still so much
more in life that I want to learn about, or learn how to do, or learn how to do more skillfully. Just a lot that
is interesting to me. .... except for Pottery. :LOL:

Kind of sad that I don't see things like this for adults in communities anymore. I guess you need to sign up at a
local college/community college and pay tuition---which is not always accessible to everyone everywhere.

I'd personally love to learn more about Japan, and Japanese Culture and History. I would love to travel there someday.
I hope I can. Anyone know any great resources on Japanese Culture and History that you could share? Books? Videos?
Movies? Museums?

If there is something someone is interested in maybe we can make this a sort of "old classroom" where we share
enriching educational resources and experiences with one another as adults. :idk

1696633621405.png

I took a night class on DOS back in the day 🤪

YouTube has some good resources for many things that have seemed to replace that, in almost all but rural areas where you can still be mentored on some things.

Frets probably has a bit more experience with the culture side for Japan.

I was there a few times briefly in the military, so my experience is somewhat skewed, because, well... the people were as nice as possible mostly further away from a US military base as possible. That's due to 18-21 year olds being able to drink and they do do some stupid things. Then the local community gets real tired of that quickly.

Okinawa...Great diving - World class unless you're afraid of snakes. Large, highly poisonous sea snakes are a delicacy. Local people free dive (No supplemental air) to catch and bring to the surface. Once I saw those snakes I was out of the water. It's amazing how deep they dive and can stay underwater without tanks or fins.

Tokyo - Fun place, used to have awesome prices on electronics. I think most of us cleaned up buying car stereo's there for less than 1/3 of the price in the states, Pioneer, Kenwood or higher end all there for the picking, although heavier volumes have likely shifted to China/Hong Kong by now. I was there in the later 80's on this "trip".

The food is very good, but I've tried some odd things elsewhere in the world. I like sushi and sashimi and good saki so that is a bias, but it's fantastic to me.

They're a fairly shy but proud people who take care of, and respect, the elderly. There are some odd cultural things, like while out looking around some shopping areas, the mixture of what might be considered "adult" in the West is just mixed in with the most mundane items in a very strange way to outsiders LOL. Those are my observations over 2 weeks while in the military and 1 week as a more adult civilian consultant.

There are some beautiful gardens, Parks and Mountains that I hope you get to see in person someday.

I taught myself a 3D CAD program, starting about 10 years ago, and I'm still learning how to use it more efficiently.

I'm running a project right now, a 2nd story addition, in which the soffits are sloped at the same pitch as the roof, and as such, all the fascia trim form compound miters at the corners. Lots of angles to deal with. Back in my 30's when I only framed houses, I used to figure this stuff out on the dining room table at night with a calculator, at first using Trig & Geometry, and then moving on to using spreadsheets (which I also learned as an adult.)

But now, I draw the project in 3D, then pull all the info I need to build it, right off the drawing. I love progress, and I love learning new things!

I'd personally love to learn more about Japan, and Japanese Culture and History. I would love to travel there someday.
I hope I can. Anyone know any great resources on Japanese Culture and History that you could share? Books? Videos?
Movies? Museums?
Japan is my favorite holiday destination. Flights from Finland have been pretty affordable for years and the flight time was about 9-10 hours. Nowadays unfortunately it's more like 12-14h since you can't just fly through Russia anymore.

I've been there 5 times and can speak Japanese at a "ask for directions and buy stuff" level. What keeps me coming back is that there's always something weird and wonderful to see. It's safe, clean and the food is to die for.

My spouse is now an exchange student in Tokyo so I'm planning to visit her at the start of next year.

I'd say learn a bit of Japanese (take a course, buy a textbook and learn on your own, use Duolingo etc), book a trip and go. I'd recommend at minimum 2 weeks because the flight time is long and there's a lot to see.

I recommend Osaka because you can also travel to Kyoto, Nara or Kobe from there by train in about 20-60 minutes for a day trip. Kyoto is historically cool but it has very long, very straight streets so expect to walk a lot in one direction. Nara's main attraction is a park with deer roaming freely that you can feed with biscuits you can buy from vendors.

Tools like Google Translate can help you translate Japanese well enough to understand the basic gist of what is said in text. if you use an iPhone, it has an app that can translate voice for you too, or translate English voice to Japanese text to show to the person you are talking to. I haven't tried it so not sure how well it works.

If you want to see what life there looks like, the YouTube channels Virtual Japan and Rambalac are great. They basically bike or walk to various places in Japan and film it all in 4K. VJ even livestreams usually on Sundays so you can ask stuff in chat and everything, he's an American who lives in Japan.

I do believe our brother @Orvillain has spent some time in Japan, I know his wife is Japanese as well.

I would absolutely love to visit Japan. I want to visit anywhere not in the US, really.

YouTube has some good resources for many things that have seemed to replace that, in almost all but rural areas where you can still be mentored on some things.

Frets probably has a bit more experience with the culture side for Japan.

I was there a few times briefly in the military, so my experience is somewhat skewed, because, well... the people were as nice as possible mostly further away from a US military base as possible. That's due to 18-21 year olds being able to drink and they do do some stupid things. Then the local community gets real tired of that quickly.

Okinawa...Great diving - World class unless you're afraid of snakes. Large, highly poisonous sea snakes are a delicacy. Local people free dive (No supplemental air) to catch and bring to the surface. Once I saw those snakes I was out of the water. It's amazing how deep they dive and can stay underwater without tanks or fins.

Tokyo - Fun place, used to have awesome prices on electronics. I think most of us cleaned up buying car stereo's there for less than 1/3 of the price in the states, Pioneer, Kenwood or higher end all there for the picking, although heavier volumes have likely shifted to China/Hong Kong by now. I was there in the later 80's on this "trip".

The food is very good, but I've tried some odd things elsewhere in the world. I like sushi and sashimi and good saki so that is a bias, but it's fantastic to me.

They're a fairly shy but proud people who take care of, and respect, the elderly. There are some odd cultural things, like while out looking around some shopping areas, the mixture of what might be considered "adult" in the West is just mixed in with the most mundane items in a very strange way to outsiders LOL. Those are my observations over 2 weeks while in the military and 1 week as a more adult civilian consultant.

There are some beautiful gardens, Parks and Mountains that I hope you get to see in person someday.

Thanks, Mav! :beer

I do believe our brother @Orvillain has spent some time in Japan, I know his wife is Japanese as well.

I would absolutely love to visit Japan. I want to visit anywhere not in the US, really.

At 55 I figure I have another 10 years, give or take, where I am mobile and have enough stamina to
travel and enjoy it. I am on off-the-beaten path kind of guy. Won't find me on a Cruise-ship or hitting
the Touristy spots. Just not my bag. You seldom see a place or people for who they are when you get
caught in those corrals and traps. :idk

I taught myself a 3D CAD program, starting about 10 years ago, and I'm still learning how to use it more efficiently.

I'm running a project right now, a 2nd story addition, in which the soffits are sloped at the same pitch as the roof, and as such, all the fascia trim form compound miters at the corners. Lots of angles to deal with. Back in my 30's when I only framed houses, I used to figure this stuff out on the dining room table at night with a calculator, at first using Trig & Geometry, and then moving on to using spreadsheets (which I also learned as an adult.)

But now, I draw the project in 3D, then pull all the info I need to build it, right off the drawing. I love progress, and I love learning new things!

That's awesome, Tom! I see no reason to cease growth and learning before they start tossing dirt on our corpses.

Japan is my favorite holiday destination. Flights from Finland have been pretty affordable for years and the flight time was about 9-10 hours. Nowadays unfortunately it's more like 12-14h since you can't just fly through Russia anymore.

I've been there 5 times and can speak Japanese at a "ask for directions and buy stuff" level. What keeps me coming back is that there's always something weird and wonderful to see. It's safe, clean and the food is to die for.

My spouse is now an exchange student in Tokyo so I'm planning to visit her at the start of next year.

I'd say learn a bit of Japanese (take a course, buy a textbook and learn on your own, use Duolingo etc), book a trip and go. I'd recommend at minimum 2 weeks because the flight time is long and there's a lot to see.

I recommend Osaka because you can also travel to Kyoto, Nara or Kobe from there by train in about 20-60 minutes for a day trip. Kyoto is historically cool but it has very long, very straight streets so expect to walk a lot in one direction. Nara's main attraction is a park with deer roaming freely that you can feed with biscuits you can buy from vendors.

Tools like Google Translate can help you translate Japanese well enough to understand the basic gist of what is said in text. if you use an iPhone, it has an app that can translate voice for you too, or translate English voice to Japanese text to show to the person you are talking to. I haven't tried it so not sure how well it works.

If you want to see what life there looks like, the YouTube channels Virtual Japan and Rambalac are great. They basically bike or walk to various places in Japan and film it all in 4K. VJ even livestreams usually on Sundays so you can ask stuff in chat and everything, he's an American who lives in Japan.

Thanks @laxu . That was awesome. How long is your fiancee in Japan?

I find the best way to learn about any culture is to immerse yourself in it. Pack up and go, before you can't! I've been to Tokyo a few times, Japan is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Food is pretty amazing too, if you're willing to step out of your comfort zone and be adventurous. One of my favorite things about Japan is how they organize their shopping districts by what they're selling. On a small scale, take the mall. One floor is all cameras, next floor is all televisions, next floor is all mens clothing. On and on. On a larger scale, think about how many guitar stores are in your town, then imagine they were all in one place and you could hit them all in one trip. In Japan, they have entire streets full of nothing but music stores. The one I hit on each trip was Ochanomizu, it was like guitar shopping in heaven, lol. It's honestly overwhelming the amount of stores and floors so packed with gear it literally spills onto the sidewalk. WHEN you go, la szum, be sure to have what you want in mind before you arrive or you might not be able to handle it, lol.
EYVkVpHl.jpg

MqERyD3l.jpg

gjgy76Fl.jpg

2uLiBb2l.jpg

QC77d7Fl.jpg

ImxX6dBl.jpg

Last tip on Japan - stay in the "traditional" hotels, not the Best Western!
e3O2Jkgl.jpg

GnhZwqJl.jpg

Did I mention the food is amazing?
UFhNIlJl.jpg

On a related note, I am currently in Edinburgh, Scotland. Learning all about the rich history of the country and the people. And the whisky. :LOL:
8JXz6Oj.jpg

8xDXCThl.jpg

3pCZNZ8l.jpg

Last week in a field outside of Salisbury, England...
hQ6ltdf.jpg

I find the best way to learn about any culture is to immerse yourself in it. Pack up and go, before you can't! I've been to Tokyo a few times, Japan is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Food is pretty amazing too, if you're willing to step out of your comfort zone and be adventurous. One of my favorite things about Japan is how they organize their shopping districts by what they're selling. On a small scale, take the mall. One floor is all cameras, next floor is all televisions, next floor is all mens clothing. On and on. On a larger scale, think about how many guitar stores are in your town, then imagine they were all in one place and you could hit them all in one trip. In Japan, they have entire streets full of nothing but music stores. The one I hit on each trip was Ochanomizu, it was like guitar shopping in heaven, lol. It's honestly overwhelming the amount of stores and floors so packed with gear it literally spills onto the sidewalk. WHEN you go, la szum, be sure to have what you want in mind before you arrive or you might not be able to handle it, lol.
EYVkVpHl.jpg

MqERyD3l.jpg

gjgy76Fl.jpg

2uLiBb2l.jpg

QC77d7Fl.jpg

ImxX6dBl.jpg

Last tip on Japan - stay in the "traditional" hotels, not the Best Western!
e3O2Jkgl.jpg

GnhZwqJl.jpg

Did I mention the food is amazing?
UFhNIlJl.jpg

On a related note, I am currently in Edinburgh, Scotland. Learning all about the rich history of the country and the people. And the whisky. :LOL:
8JXz6Oj.jpg

8xDXCThl.jpg

3pCZNZ8l.jpg

Last week in a field outside of Salisbury, England...
hQ6ltdf.jpg

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!! :love

Back