Let’s talk strats (Pro vs Ultra vs ?)

Man, I really tried, but back on ignore you go. Bye again.

It’s so funny that you feel congenitally compelled to blurt that out publicly…

Most men would just do it without the need for public display.

black and white smoking GIF

It’s so funny that you feel congenitally compelled to blurt that out publicly…

Most men would just do it.

Dude, as I was accidentally still reading it: This will defenitely last longer as the last time. Such a bunch of pseudo heroic toxic masculinity BS - phew.

Dude, as I was accidentally still reading it: This will defenitely last longer as the last time. Such a bunch of pseudo heroic toxic masculinity BS - phew.

It’s just compulsive with you isn’t it?

And what the f*ck is toxic masculinity… You’re afraid of your own twigs and berries?

Bloody mess you are …

And always remember: In case you're lacking the cognitive resources to reply properly, add a LOL emoji. True Facebook-style.

I like Ron Ellis pickups but they are not exceptional IMO I have a couple of PAFs ( I didn’t pay anything like list) they came in a job. My favourite paf either Tom Holmes or Throbak 101. The Throbak is by far the most accurate.

I haven’t owned a strat since I was a kid. Seems a bit sacrilegious. Thinking of filling that void in my soul.

Been looking at the American Pro II and Ultras. (Sweet Jeebus that Cobra blue Ultra HSS is :chef )

So the Pro line looks a little more traditional like I’m probably accustomed to from when I last owned a strat. The Ultra seems to specifically being aimed at modern styling (thinner necks, deeper heel contour, flatter radius etc.) which appeals to me at a glance as I have generally gravitated to more modern playing guitars of late.

What’s the story on the noiseless pickups in the ultra series vs v-mod’s in the pro series? Anyone played both sets, and have an opinion either way?

I’m going to go try a handful out, but curious what’s the general opinion of these newer strats vs some of their competition in these price tiers.

Personally I think the American Professional line of guitars from Fender is a really good all around starting point for a quality guitar. The construction, hardware, pickups, etc. are all very good. It's expensive nowadays but everything is. The days of standard USA guitars for $1k or less are long gone.

I haven't played the Ultra series, but I had an older Deluxe model Tele which was the predecessor. It was a good guitar and had things like the compound radius board, locking tuners, and noiseless pickups. To be honest I didn't love the feel of the compound board on that guitar as it seemed kind of weird. To me a Fender shouldn't have a very flat board, but that's just my take. More of a feel than anything else. The noiseless pickups were okay but I eventually changed them out for Suhr Classic pickups which I liked more, even with the noise.

I haven't tried the exact latest generation noiseless pickups in the Ultra Strat, but I did try the latest gen high output Strat noiseless pickups. They were interesting but didn't last long in the guitar.

If I had $2,000 and was looking at a Strat, I'd probably lean towards the Ibanez AZ2203N. I have the AZ2204N and it's similar just with three pickups and the Strat controls. I've been really impressed with the quality, made in Japan with flawless jumbo stainless steel frets and high end everything. And sometimes you can find them used at a big discount.

Feature%20Products_AZ%20SSS_AZ2203N_Header.jpg

Otherwise I'm not sure about the pricing, but if I had a budget over $2,000 I'd look at Suhr. Again you get the stainless steel frets and high end construction, with a little more traditional look and feel, but you also have awesome pickups and the noiseless system that has far less tonal compromise than stacked pickups.

Personally I think the American Professional line of guitars from Fender is a really good all around starting point for a quality guitar. The construction, hardware, pickups, etc. are all very good. It's expensive nowadays but everything is. The days of standard USA guitars for $1k or less are long gone.

I haven't played the Ultra series, but I had an older Deluxe model Tele which was the predecessor. It was a good guitar and had things like the compound radius board, locking tuners, and noiseless pickups. To be honest I didn't love the feel of the compound board on that guitar as it seemed kind of weird. To me a Fender shouldn't have a very flat board, but that's just my take. More of a feel than anything else. The noiseless pickups were okay but I eventually changed them out for Suhr Classic pickups which I liked more, even with the noise.

I haven't tried the exact latest generation noiseless pickups in the Ultra Strat, but I did try the latest gen high output Strat noiseless pickups. They were interesting but didn't last long in the guitar.

If I had $2,000 and was looking at a Strat, I'd probably lean towards the Ibanez AZ2203N. I have the AZ2204N and it's similar just with three pickups and the Strat controls. I've been really impressed with the quality, made in Japan with flawless jumbo stainless steel frets and high end everything. And sometimes you can find them used at a big discount.

Feature%20Products_AZ%20SSS_AZ2203N_Header.jpg

Otherwise I'm not sure about the pricing, but if I had a budget over $2,000 I'd look at Suhr. Again you get the stainless steel frets and high end construction, with a little more traditional look and feel, but you also have awesome pickups and the noiseless system that has far less tonal compromise than stacked pickups.
Needs a tort guard, but otherwise hawt.

Needs a tort guard, but otherwise hawt.

Yeah mine has the tort guard, although I would prefer parchment. I'd love to get the black one if it had a maple board, then get a black pickguard for it a la Gilmour. Although I also like black with white/parchment plastics and a maple neck a la Clapton.

I've thought several times about getting rid of my Tele and picking up one of the Ibanez AZS, but don't like the finishes and the goofy control plate with the fixed bridge. There's some really good deals on used ones out there.

7200B471-E1B3-44C2-891B-5CF4D9463542_1_105_c_600x.jpg

Yeah mine has the tort guard, although I would prefer parchment. I'd love to get the black one if it had a maple board, then get a black pickguard for it a la Gilmour. Although I also like black with white/parchment plastics and a maple neck a la Clapton.

I've thought several times about getting rid of my Tele and picking up one of the Ibanez AZS, but don't like the finishes and the goofy control plate with the fixed bridge. There's some really good deals on used ones out there.

fourth of july dog GIF

Control plate looks like a hot dog. I'd still buy one though. The guitar, not the hot dog. I hate hot dogs.

This is probably the stupidest question I've ever asked but, like, do you have normal sausages in America? proper butcher's sausages that don't look like someone's shat out some beige play-doh and boiled it?
I believe so, but I don't eat that shit. It's gross.

This is probably the stupidest question I've ever asked but, like, do you have normal sausages in America? proper butcher's sausages that don't look like someone's shat out some beige play-doh and boiled it?

I believe so? But I've never been to Europe to compare. We eat a lot of grilled bratwurst in the summer which is a pork sausage. I'll also cook up sausage for pasta dishes.

Hot dogs are a weird food and I don't really like them much, unless they are really high quality. The cheap stuff is really gross.

It’s almost like someone tried to design the guitar I would hate the looks of the most…

:barf

Back