Laney LFR-112

Question: when running a modeler into the LFR (or any "FRFR" setup, I would guess), do you run the volume maxed on the modeler, and then dial in the volume accordingly on the "FRFR"? Or do you do a mix of it, where the volume isn't full up on the modeler?
All of us in the band leave our volumes at 75%, leaving 25% headroom for live situations where the mix doesn't seem right and we have to take matters into our own hands. This is also probably because we also take care of our own mixing (because we often don't have any other choice)

Question: when running a modeler into the LFR (or any "FRFR" setup, I would guess), do you run the volume maxed on the modeler, and then dial in the volume accordingly on the "FRFR"? Or do you do a mix of it, where the volume isn't full up on the modeler?
Run it like I do my near fields -- turn the volume up on the speaker so that maxed volume from the source will be a little louder than the loudest I plan to play things and then use the source volume control.

Or does it have a guitar frequency focus because of the shape and size?

In case it's as close to "FRFR" as manufacturers tend to make you believe, they should just be linear.
The main difference I'd expect from a guitar cab alike version such as this, would possibly be a sort of different directivity/spread and maybe a little more support for whatever lower frequency impact due to the heavier wood construction (this is where many molded plastic monitors often show some weakness). Others than that there's little reasons why there would be much of a difference, it's all up to the quality of the used amplification and speaker components.

Curious, how do these in general sound different than PA-atyle FRFRs/monitor wedges? I.e. can I use these as normal PA-type speakers to route other instruments through? Or does it have a guitar frequency focus because of the shape and size?
They’re supposed to be flat, so probably not too different than a regular PA style cab. Just prettier. ;)
All of us in the band leave our volumes at 75%, leaving 25% headroom for live situations where the mix doesn't seem right and we have to take matters into our own hands. This is also probably because we also take care of our own mixing (because we often don't have any other choice)
75% on the modeler?
Run it like I do my near fields -- turn the volume up on the speaker so that maxed volume from the source will be a little louder than the loudest I plan to play things and then use the source volume control.
Gotcha. I’ll give it a go.

I only ask because I was getting some squirrely feedback that was annoying as hell.

The general rule with powered speakers is leave the volume at unity on the speaker and turn up the input source to the appropriate volume. If your sound source is outputting at line level you should get plenty of volume that way, if it’s instrument level you may need to push the speaker volume.

Kinda reminds me of my (now sold) H&K 1x12 cab. Very sweet sounding, with the H&K 18 lunch box head with those pretty blue neon lights vibe.
Can you expand on the sound of that cab, and was it the TM112? I have a Grandmeister Deluxe 40, and the TM212 2x12 cab which sounds wonderful, I'm wonder how the little brother sounds.

office space creep GIF

Can you expand on the sound of that cab, and was it the TM112? I have a Grandmeister Deluxe 40, and the TM212 2x12 cab which sounds wonderful, I'm wonder how the little brother sounds.

office space creep GIF
'tis a distant memory at this point.. but I ll try to recollect..

Pretty punchy and in your face for a small 1x12!. There was quite a bit of mid focus, and quite a bit of some spikey-spikeys as well (that could have been the way I set the dials on the TM18 and my DS1 (tone never above 10% ofcourse). It definitely had that closed cab "closeness" to it.. which may be great for some styles of music. I remember leaving wanting for more "openness",
of an open back, for flatter/more scooped clean tones/EOB tones when playing by myself. I am sure this would sing well in a mix though.

Back