Just picked up a Sugar Drive.

Sorry, glad you like it, I dislike Klons haha.

King of Tone, much better.
Have you tried the MXR Duke?
JT, is the ocd clone still winning?
It is. By quite a big margin. The SD does kick butt but it is more something I would built a full dirt board around? Using it on the clean channel of the Boogie is RIGHTEOUS. It's good as a boost but I like it as a pedal dirt base even more. Very impressive for that.
The Mosky Silver Horse on headroom mode (switch) and zero gain is the best tube amp boost in existence.
It has 25v of peak-to-peak internal voltage, clean, tight, and almost sounds like an extra tube stage on the frontend.
It is different than the Golden Horse (Klon) because it cleans to zero distortion even with EMGs and has much higher output.

I only buy "Authentic".... from China.

:bag

View attachment 1439
Nice! Are the Mosky's noisy? How's the Caline Fuzzy Bear?

I honestly want to try both the MXR Timmy and the MXR Duke of Tone. I love that MXR is partnering up with the designers to offer relatively affordable and reliable versions of pedals that are getting increasingly expensive. I'd love to see MXR license an OCD now that Fulltone is going out of business.

I'm with you, I don't like pedals that cut a lot of bass. Usually I use drive pedals to kick a breakup or crunch tone up to another level. I don't use them to fix issues with the core amp tone and I don't like to stack them (gets fuzzy real quick). So I'm much more likely to want a Timmy or Bluesbreaker style pedals rather than something like an 808 or Klon. Although sometimes a classic 808 can be nice for a solo boost.

So just did some quick A/Bing.

Over BL crunch channel set to not quite crunch when up loud. I LOVE the OCD clone. Level up 60/70%ish and gain just starting to hit the amp input. Sizzle is juuuuuuuuuust right. The Sugar is great too with level wayyyyy up and gain just barely cracking open. I like the OCD better especially for a live setting as that sizzle will come in handy a few hours in when your ears are shot :cop

I didn't like the OCD on the clean channel. I felt like I could like it with some judicious channel eq tweaks? The Sugar on the clean channel with level up high and gain up towards 50%ish was actually this weird mix of clean and brutal. Like; articulation (for better or worse :bag :rofl ) was phenomenal. Super chunky and gainy without excess sizzle. Very impressive.

The BL itself is such a weird Mesa. You can have all the knobs other than the Master cranked and get a great tone of out it. It's defintiely the hardest to f**k up your tone Mesa I have ever played.

I find that pedals mostly work either into a crunchy amp or into spanking clean. Pedals that do both convincingly are a rare breed.
For serious gain tones into a clean channel you might want to try the Marshall Jackhammer.
The EQ sections is a bit weird, as there is a semi-parametric boost/cut thing going on, but once you wrap your head around that, it's pretty versatile.
The OD is fine, the distortion setting is stupid, iirc.
They are pretty affordable, because people don't get the EQ.

I was tempted to get one but I never liked the Klon sims that I tried. I ended up with a couple Bluesbreaker style pedals instead.

I really want a Greer Lightspeed right now. It seems like the ideal "add a little more gain" pedal that isn't a "transparent" OD, isn't a mid boost, and isn't a fizzy distortion pedal.
I have a Sugar Drive on my board and I’m a metal guy. I like it for rhythm guitar boosts, I LOVE it for leads. It allows more bass to come through and the gain on it has a certain quality that sounds better than the drive circuit on tubescreamers, to my ear anyway. On my board I use an SD1 for rhythm guitar and the Sugar Drive for leads, and both really compliment each other well.

Have you tried the MXR Duke?

It is. By quite a big margin. The SD does kick butt but it is more something I would built a full dirt board around? Using it on the clean channel of the Boogie is RIGHTEOUS. It's good as a boost but I like it as a pedal dirt base even more. Very impressive for that.

Nice! Are the Mosky's noisy? How's the Caline Fuzzy Bear?
I did. It's a great little pedal. The BL eats it right up, in a good way. Use it in boost or OD, and teh Crunch mode kicks massive ass. Use the Distortion into the Clean with the Clean's gain at 1 o'clock, and it's fantastic. Like giving the BL a third channel.

I did. It's a great little pedal. The BL eats it right up, in a good way. Use it in boost or OD, and teh Crunch mode kicks massive ass. Use the Distortion into the Clean with the Clean's gain at 1 o'clock, and it's fantastic. Like giving the BL a third channel.
Man; I really like using dirt pedals on that clean channel. KILLER platform for it. The SD is tight and articulate and dare I say brutal when pushed enough but super clean and clear at the same time.

Man; I really like using dirt pedals on that clean channel. KILLER platform for it. The SD is tight and articulate and dare I say brutal when pushed enough but super clean and clear at the same time.
Yup that's a Klone. PickDropper from TGP makes amazing Klones too. He built my custom MacGuffin pedal, which is a Klone into a Bluesbreaker circuit.

I’ve played several KOT’s and I don’t get the hype but to each his own.
Yeah, it's personal preference. For me the Klon is wooly and midrange focused. Where the KOT is open sounding and versatile.

Last edited:
Holy FUCK. This SD has some sizzle \m/ Also; despite the jacks feeling a little looser than more expensive pedals and more than a little bit of noise when standing directly in front of my Quilter/412 rig; the Mosky Silver Horse fucking rips too!

I need to put together a board with some sort of preamp with not idiotic "tone controls" that the Quilter doesn't have and a good delay/verb and micro pitch (and and and) to use up in my jam room :unsure:

The Mosky Silver Horse on headroom mode (switch) and zero gain is the best tube amp boost in existence.
It has 25v of peak-to-peak internal voltage, clean, tight, and almost sounds like an extra tube stage on the frontend.
It is different than the Golden Horse (Klon) because it cleans to zero distortion even with EMGs and has much higher output.

View attachment 1439
When you use it as a clean boost maxing out the level and gain on zero is it still quiet? Reason I ask is I saw a video comparing the Moskey silver horse and golden horse with the Archer. When the level was turned up it was quite noticeable. A defective unit perhaps? That is what made me pause on picking one up.

When you use it as a clean boost maxing out the level and gain on zero is it still quiet? Reason I ask is I saw a video comparing the Moskey silver horse and golden horse with the Archer. When the level was turned up it was quite noticeable. A defective unit perhaps? That is what made me pause on picking one up.
It's a little noisier than the MXR and the jacks feel a little bit cheaper. You could probably open it up and bring the Jack clips together just a hair to make it be a tighter fit? For the price it's a great pedal.

View attachment 1439

I may have to try that with my Wish Klone.

Back