Just Ordered An 800 Page Book.

la szum

Goatlord
Yup. Pretty f'ing crazy, eh? :idk Even worse it is non-fiction and not Tolkien or David Foster Wallace.

Any other nutbags like me who like to read books in a world that seems to increasingly hate them
and be content in its shallowness and ignorance??

Oooppps. Was that last bit too much?

Yup. Pretty f'ing crazy, eh? :idk Even worse it is non-fiction and not Tolkien or David Foster Wallace.

Any other nutbags like me who like to read books in a world that seems to increasingly hate them

I love reading. Read Under The Dome a couple of times and it's around 1000 pages. Pretty much all fiction though. Along with Steven King, James Michener & David Baldacci are a couple favorite authors.

Last edited:

One man’s 800 page book is another mans 30 hour audiobook.

#readingmadeeasy

Timely thread...

Wife and I were at a bnb a couple a weeks ago and I immediately noticed the Primus biography across the room on the bookshelf when we got there

I read the whole thing in a couple days and it reminded me that I really should do that more often, it was a joy.

The home owner must've been a fan... I took a pic of the first page

Resized_20220822_182610.jpeg

Timely thread...

Wife and I were at a bnb a couple a weeks ago and I immediately noticed the Primus biography across the room on the bookshelf when we got there

I read the whole thing in a couple days and it reminded me that I really should do that more often, it was a joy.

The home owner must've been a fan... I took a pic of the first page

View attachment 201

I think that is what they call "serendipitous." How cool is that??!!

I love reading a book, and how it can elicit thoughts, ideas, and feelings later on that day as you ponder what
you had read earlier. It feels like some kind of cognitive magic act I don't quite understand.

I love reading a book, and how it can elicit thoughts, ideas, and feelings later on that day as you ponder what
you had read earlier. It feels like some kind of cognitive magic act I don't quite understand.
I can tell a good book right away if I can vividly picture the scene in my mind. Details... like the way the author would describe the way the airplane overhead casts the moving shadow as it crossed the road..., shit like that. If I feel immersed..., I usually get to a point where I know I have to stop reading and go to sleep, but I don't want to. I LOVE that!

Last book i read was Don Winslow - Power of the Dog. That one got to me… I was not myself for a long time after that. Before the kids I always read books, but not so much when they came. Except reading books for them :p

I’m a big fan of reading and if I find something good I’ll spend all my free time reading it, nonstop until it’s finished. The last year I haven't read much, but the year prior I was putting down books like a fat kid at an ice cream buffet. Lots of Buddhism and "unf*ck your life" books. The last one I bought was the War Of Art, which deals directly with writer's block.....but I haven't opened it up yet.

I did get in the habit of starting my day with Marcus Arelius' Meditations for a while and should certainly get back to doing that. It's really astounding how on-point something someone wrote hundreds of years ago is today.

Absolutely.

When watching the Taylor Hawkins tribute just a few days ago when Travis Barker got on the drum set, I relayed to the wife the story Les had about meeting him on the lollapalooza tour with the Aquabats, and by the end of the tour he quit and joined blink 182 (also on the tour)

I haven't finished the 800 page book yet. I have this habit of working on 3 or 4 books at the same time. :facepalm

Good thread.

I read voraciously; if I can get my hands on actual books I will but I’m more likely to use Kindle as I’m an OTR truck driver and do t have space.

Lately it’s been Gregg Hurwitz, Jim Butcher, the entire Reacher series (again), Simon R Green’s Secret Histories series (again) and a few one offs.

That was all last month. I used to keep lists of books I’d read and the times when I read them (waiting at doctor’s offices, waiting on a load for work etc) but I moved a while back and lost them. All good.

I LOVED reading as a kid. And into adulthood. But too many hobbies and life get's in the way of really diving in and doing that hyperfocus that makes reading so enjoyabe.
Same. I get a lot of reading done when traveling. Hasn't been much of that in the past few years.

Back