Just Ordered An 800 Page Book.

Im also reading a book :D

1678190982714.png

I’m currently rebuilding my Sci-Fi hardback library… Spend time on eBay buying books for TEOTWAWKI

Funny enough “A Canticle for Leibowitz” just arrived last week.

Episode 19 News GIF by The Simpsons

I also used to love reading but do it a lot less nowadays. I think a big issue has been the dopamine hits/addiction to screens (YouTube, video games, etc). Or just wanting to do other things like play guitar or watch my kids play sports.

As a kid I loved reading just about any kind of fiction. I was really big into Star Wars novels too, and would love to re-read some of the books from the 80's and 90's. In my 20's I was a big fan of horror novels, especially all of Stephen King's classics. I'd love to re-read those now that it's been 10-15 years.

The last few years, I've been trying to work my way though some classic books that I probably should have read by now. Things like Great Gatsby, Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn, Moby Dick, etc. I've also read a lot of music biographies too.

I mostly read on a Kindle as I don't like the clutter of books, and recently got a new one and started working through a few books I had purchased and forgotten about. Right now I'm reading a book about the Mafia, which I bought a few years ago after watching the movie "The Irishman". It's kind of interesting but also kind of tedious. Then I'll likely go back to the classic books.

I LOVED reading as a kid. And into adulthood. But too many hobbies and life get's in the way of really diving in and doing that hyperfocus that makes reading so enjoyabe.

It's true. When I was young and dumb I didn't always understand why parents didn't read more. Then
I became a parent. :facepalm

I still prefer reading over watching TV, because I feel it rewards me in more meaningful and enriching
ways. That doesn't mean I do it. :LOL:

Yup. Pretty f'ing crazy, eh? :idk Even worse it is non-fiction and not Tolkien or David Foster Wallace.

Any other nutbags like me who like to read books in a world that seems to increasingly hate them
and be content in its shallowness and ignorance??

Oooppps. Was that last bit too much?
Apologies if I missed it later in the thread but what book is it? Have you started it yet?

I LOVED reading as a kid. And into adulthood. But too many hobbies and life get's in the way of really diving in and doing that hyperfocus that makes reading so enjoyabe.
I have the same problem. My reading pile has five or six books on it but it takes me close to a year to get through it. As a teenager that would have lasted maybe a week (and been almost entirely over 800 pages each).

I probably read a novel bi-weekly. My parent brought us up with good reading habits and is still my preferred way of decompressing from all the noise in the world. If only that would have translated into good study habits. :facepalm

This is another book I have been slowly digesting. It's already in my Top Ten of most illuminating
books I recall reading. So insightful. Really captures the entire history of recorded sound and the
illusions, delusions, and corruptions it has led to. If I had a Recording/Engineer School, or even a
Live Performance School this would be required reading for all students and faculty. It is that good.

510zKxz71vL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

It's Behave, by Robert Sapolosky. Sounds Calvinist, but is a book on evolutionary biology/psychology
from a Stanford Nueroscience Professor who studies Primates in the wild. Ergo, Humans. :LOL:

81aXWyAaxhL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Rad, I'm going to add that one to my list, thanks la szum!

If you like this one and want something along the same lines, check out Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Its a look into why homo sapiens dominated the other species in the same genus, its a fascinating read.

I knew getting one-upped was just a matter of time. This is a Gear Forum, after all. :LOL:
Well, I wanted to keep in line with the Marshall series but couldn't think of a good 410, 900, 2000...page book to recommend so I just went with a tried and true novel. :)

Maybe check a 1,000 page book next?

Shogun by James Clavell

Slow start but fantastic historical fiction.
This is a true page turner. I’ve read it twice.

Probably pseudo-unpopular here, but I’ll mention it anyway… Atlas Shrugged is it around 1000 pages and I’ve read it twice as well; not a page turner until the first 400 pgs are completed. (I’ve read all of her books btw.)

Back