Just How Many Greats Have Rocked A Les Paul?

index.php

Everybody has rocked a Les Paul at one time or another, our very own Super Strat user @DrewJD82 is rocking a couple of les Paul types at the moment :D

17 year old me would be sooooooo making fun of me if he saw that, too.

Actually, last night I plugged my JEM into my FM9 and it was on a preset I made for the Edwards with the EMGs, it sounded like straight ass. Really thin and almost like a single coil. My first thought was “Oh no….don’t tell me all those guys who used to bust my balls about playing an Ibanez were actually right about how thin they sound in comparison to a Les Paul…..” despite getting plenty of rippin’ metal tones out of Ibanez guitars since I was a teenager.

Kept on playing, switching pickups, playing with the volume knob, nothin’ was changing it. Banged on the pickguard a few times and bam! There it was! Loose connection in there somewhere. I had to laugh at the brief feeling of dread that came over me when I thought it was a Les Paul VS JEM issue though.

^^ That reminds me of my old first-year RG550. I'd been hunting for a white one since I started playing, it was my 'unicorn' guitar.
I finally found one on eBay for a decent price and it was really clean, all original....but it sounded terrible. Super thin and generally limp.
I eventually sold that guitar because I was never in love with it, but now I'm wondering if it was just fucked up wiring making it sound lame. :facepalm
Some days I wish I still had it, but at-least I got to own my 'unicorn' for a few years.

More on-topic, the first guy to make me think "oh actually LPs are cool" was Al Di Meola. I had the sleeve from "Elegant Gypsy" framed on my wall but I guess it was lost in a move. No idea where it is now.

Attachments

• elegantgypsysmall.jpg
    elegantgypsysmall.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My favorite Les Paul Players:

Randy Rhoads
John Sykes
Zakk Wylde
Gary Moore
Tom Kiefer
Yngwie Malmsteen (Yup! He actually plays them along with his Strats!!)
Devin Townsend

Back