Joyo Rigel Preamp Pedal

I have a couple of Joyo pedals and really like them. If I ever have need of a preamp pedal, this will definitely get a look.

ETA: Just looked on Amazon and it's only $69. Seriously? Wow... might buy one just for fun...

Here's the same cat demo'ing the other Joyo preamp pedal:

Mine arrived Friday, but didn't get a chance to plug it in til about 30 minutes ago. After a little knob fiddling I landed on a nice crispy/crunchy tone I really dig. Been using my DSL1 in my work-from-home office lately and not as in love with it as I had been. Plugged this in and switched the amp to the clean channel and >boom< sounds much better than what I had going. Granted, I used to love the DSL, so I'm thinking the recent lack-of-love for it is operator error.

Think I may try it in the loop too, but run a 10-band in there already. So, hmmm... :unsure:

Been running my 94 Ibanez RG470 w/Duncan Distortions into this Rigel, then into the clean DSL1 at lunch today. This thing really just rips. Great value for $70.

Going to try and grab a little bass combo practice amp this week, then I want to see how the Rigel fairs as a bass preamp.

Been running my 94 Ibanez RG470 w/Duncan Distortions into this Rigel, then into the clean DSL1 at lunch today. This thing really just rips. Great value for $70.

Going to try and grab a little bass combo practice amp this week, then I want to see how the Rigel fairs as a bass preamp.
It’s just super unfortunate it’s a 100% rip of KSR. I did pick one up too and it’s really fantastic sounding. I like it for Fear Factory type vibes for sure.

It’s just super unfortunate it’s a 100% rip of KSR. I did pick one up too and it’s really fantastic sounding. I like it for Fear Factory type vibes for sure.
I personally dislike Dino quite a bit, but the dude has always written sick riffs with great tones. I didn't realize this thing was a 100% ripoff, which does take some shine off the apple for sure...

Well that definitely does not suck. This is the first pedal distortion I’ve heard that I’ve liked since the AMT P2. I may have to check this one out personally.

Is this (and the AMT) something that could be plugged straight in to the return of an amp?

Is this (and the AMT) something that could be plugged straight in to the return of an amp?
I believe so, but haven't actually tried yet. I had a CHUG pedal for awhile and was able to go straight in with it. From what I understand, this Rigel is a similar pedal in that regard.

I believe so, but haven't actually tried yet. I had a CHUG pedal for awhile and was able to go straight in with it. From what I understand, this Rigel is a similar pedal in that regard.

Haven’t heard much about the Chug after it got released, and you mention it in the past tense, assuming you didn’t get along with it? (You like the Rigel better?)

Haven’t heard much about the Chug after it got released, and you mention it in the past tense, assuming you didn’t get along with it? (You like the Rigel better?)
I bought the CHUG to use with a 5-string bass I own that had just plain awful passive EMG pickups in it. The CHUG did great with that, but after fooling with it a bit, I decided to swap the pickups with a set of Bartolini's and BOOM the bass came to life and didn't need the preamp pedal anymore. Since I didn't have another use for the CHUG, I sold it and put that money towards my Mesa Badlander.

This Rigel was a total "I have a few extra bucks this month and trust @Desertdweller's recommendations" thing. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Yes, and they both sound great like that. I used the AMT P2 on a recording years ago and I think it sounded great. I think I had a YT vid for it too…

Yep I did make a brief demo of it:

Yeah that is still my favorite pedal preamp, by far.

The Joyo can do the same thing. The P2 is probably a little more amp-like in that it took an overdrive in front of it really well and just absolutely crushed like a tube amp. I don’t know that i would put an OD in front of the Joyo, it sounds like it already has that type of boost/tightness circuit in it already.

Back