Jeff Beck has passed away

I've never heard a jeff beck song in my life, but he was an integral part of so much of my training as a guitar tech...so many things were like "ok this is how we setup jeff beck's _____". The name was ever present, but in the days of needing to buy any music that I was ever to hear, it never reached the point where I would have bought it over something else.

Where should I start, now with the magic of the internet, songwise to be introduced to what the guy actually played?
The Blow by Blow album in my opinion.

1673519729126.png

Love Blow by Blow. Had the tape in my car stereo for years. I remember thinking how fresh he sounded, even when compared to some more modern guitar players. Will be missed.

BTW this was the absolute first time I heard Jeff Beck and still love the song to this day. (Solo at the 3:15 mark)

I, unfortunately, didn’t start digging Jeff until recently and still didn’t hit the “I want to hear ALL his work” phase, but I really dig everything I do hear. There’s so much of his whammy bar stuff that Vai snagged and is present in my own playing, I could only chuckle when seeing Jeff do some of the same slurs into notes. And yeah, that dude was totally content just doing his own thing and seemed totally content doing exactly that.

Love Blow by Blow. Had the tape in my car stereo for years. I remember thinking how fresh he sounded, even when compared to some more modern guitar players. Will be missed.

BTW this was the absolute first time I heard Jeff Beck and still love the song to this day. (Solo at the 3:15 mark)

I wasn't aware he'd collaborated with Bon Jovi. Coincidentally, I'd just bumped into this new Ozzy song a few days ago. Wasn't terribly impressed with it at first (growing on me) but as always JB is sublime. I love that he so easily adapts to another genre and set of demands, yet you can hear his DNA in the execution. Absolute mastery.

His passing just hit me completely out of left field. Wife mentioned it at dinner and I don't think she realized what a bomb she was dropping. I don't throw his name around much except in talking with fellow guitarists, but he was... a lot. I just never imagined him sick or dying. Always assumed he'd be out in his garage rebuilding an engine the day I died.

I've never heard a jeff beck song in my life, but he was an integral part of so much of my training as a guitar tech...so many things were like "ok this is how we setup jeff beck's _____".
100%. Jeff Beck is always the ideal in the back of my head when I set up a Strat.

Back