IRDX Core, let's talk about it...

is it true this just adds a static 2nd and 3rd order harmonic (rather than dynamically?) heard something about it just modulating in volume by +/- 0.5dB.

I’m curious but I don’t know how accurate it can be without know the poweramp, volume, speakers etc being used

is it true this just adds a static 2nd and 3rd order harmonic (rather than dynamically?) heard something about it just modulating in volume by +/- 0.5dB.

I’m curious but I don’t know how accurate it can be without know the poweramp, volume, speakers etc being used

I'm not good at analyzing audio signals like that but judging by listening there is some saturation, dynamic "movement" (compression) and eq going on.

Interesting. It introduces a subtle, yet audible, difference - but, to be honest, it just sounds like a vanilla audio exciter to me.

It might be doing other stuff as well, but IRDX is definitely adding harmonics, which are very notable once the "effect" knob goes over 100%. The extra high frequency information makes the tone feel quite fizzy.

Interesting. It introduces a subtle, yet audible, difference - but, to be honest, it just sounds like a vanilla audio exciter to me.

It might be doing other stuff, but IRDX is definitely adding harmonics, which are very notable once the "effect" knob goes over 100%. The extra high frequency information makes the tone feel quite fizzy.

I can see myself using it on some guitar tracks that need to be brought forward a bit more, guitars that are too dark.

Absolutely. Not saying there's no value to it, just that claims about what IRDX does might be a tad overblown.

I'm 99% certain you could get the exact same results using any audio exciter plugin (f.ex. Process.Audio Sugar).

Yeah, as I say in my video I like the effect but I also think it's not based on real life artifacts. I've heard countless IR vs real cab comparisons and IRs sound so accurate, you never really hear these sonic traits that this plugin adds, certainly not added top end or anything like that. So is it realistic? In my opinion not really but is it a fun and useful effect? Sure!

Yeah, as I say in my video I like the effect but I also think it's not based on real life artifacts. I've heard countless IR vs real cab comparisons and IRs sound so accurate, you never really hear these sonic traits that this plugin adds, certainly not added top end or anything like that. So is it realistic? In my opinion not really but is it a fun and useful effect? Sure!
I was about to write almost exactly the same after testing it last night.

s-l1600.jpg

Mikko just dropped this interesting comparison video:

Yeah, looks like saturation for harmonic generation and a (weird) subtle EQ curve. Or, in other words, an audio exciter :LOL:

Screenshot from 2024-01-12 16-13-50.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-12 16-15-06.png

There's value to Bogren's single-knob plugin solutions IMHO, and the effect is cool - but i doubt this has anything to do with "speaker dynamics" as claimed.

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like saturation for harmonic generation and a (weird) subtle EQ curve. Or, in other words, an audio exciter :LOL:

View attachment 17198View attachment 17199

There's value to Bogren's single-knob plugin solutions IMHO, and the effect is cool - but i doubt this has anything to do with "speaker dynamics" as claimed.

Its really surprising how many still try to push "speaker dynamics" term on IR products and no one is actually trying to invent a new tech that actually do that very thing.

It is quite amazing how people's ears get convinced of things based on what they are actually seeing.

Back in FXpansion days, before my time even, they had a synth called Orca. Initially people were into it, but when they re-did the GUI to look like some weird fish monster creature thing.. people swore blind that it sounded better - when all that had changed was the UI.

I don't buy this IRDX business. I don't doubt it does something, but I don't think it is analogous to anything that happens in the real world, and I don't think it is a worthwhile investment. 39eur is throwaway beer money, and I reckon they're counting on the fact that you'll buy into it based on the UI, or you'll hear the subtle shift in tonality, but have no real idea if it is real or not, and then go "ah well... I only paid 39 boobies for it"

Huge meh from me.

You drink Bud Light. You wench.

Ha! I have proof that I don’t! There’s been a 12-pack sitting in my fridge since I moved in 2.5 years ago! I keep them in there because I know one of my idiot friends will gladly drink them at some point and I’ll point and laugh at the skunk piss face they make after.

Ha! I have proof that I don’t! There’s been a 12-pack sitting in my fridge since I moved in 2.5 years ago! I keep them in there because I know one of my idiot friends will gladly drink them at some point and I’ll point and laugh at the skunk piss face they make after.
Ahhhh I see! A Coors man! WE FOUND ONE GUYS!

Back