Interesting - Power Amp only IRs

Badonkey Kong

Roadie
Had a thought today, and sure enough, somebody else has gone ahead and done it. Have played with a few of them, so far I like the 6L6 50 70 and 60 80... They seem to pair up with the Synergy modules direct pretty well. Of course, add your preferred preamp in front and speaker cab IR after...

Has anybody else played with these?

They might actually work decently with a flat power amp and real cab as well. Or am I chasing unicorns?

I haven't tried these..I have the God's Cab IRs they mentioned in the attached blog post with the poweramp thing baked in. I think the Guitar Hacks IRs had them too?

My beef with these like the others I've tried, is that there aren't IRs for certain Depth/Presence ratios and things get fiddly with approximations and EQ.

I have captured the preamp, poweramp and cabinet all seperate with the Quad Cortex and the results were pretty good.

I imagine these could be useful.

An impulse response can only capture the frequency response of an amp. As a technology, they're completely oblivious to most of the characteristics that make an amp interesting (non-linearities/dynamic response). These are a complete waste of time/money/whatever.

If you like the way they filter your model's frequency response, I guess that's cool; but don't kid yourself about what you are getting here.

Captures/profiles are a different story.

An impulse response can only capture the frequency response of an amp. As a technology, they're completely oblivious to most of the characteristics that make an amp interesting (non-linearities/dynamic response). These are a complete waste of time/money/whatever.

If you like the way they filter your model's frequency response, I guess that's cool; but don't kid yourself about what you are getting here.

Captures/profiles are a different story.
It's nice that in the attached blog post about using these the writer only talks about the change in frequency response and the information is free of any "dynamic" marketecture alluding otherwise.

Back