In praise of the Boss GT1000-CORE

I'm not bailing on my Helix just yet but I did ask out of the Beta program because I don't have the time or patience AND am still pi$$ed about sending my Helix LT to be "repaired" and they did absolutely nothing to it. Oh and a couple other things over the last couple years.

Cooled down a little but I still am looking passively for a main rig.

Sorry, but I'll take a Stomp any day, over the CORE.

Course you would, they were one of the first to market and most established in the niche, and at a friendly budget. They have effective marketing and because of that, a loyal, rabid fanbase which Helps their word of mouth.

But I assess things on their merits, and for me, stereo in/out capability, DSP that doesn't run out, and powerful routing won the day. The Amp models that I'm as happy playing as my amps was a bonus.

And I suspect that the issues people have with UI are wildly subjective.

I say that because I, as someone who'd never tried such a unit before, was happily creating patches from scratch within a few hours, and My only references to the manual were to see what a particular knob did or what a particular effect was called.

The Core and Full fat 1000 UI's main crime seems to be that it's not HX/Line 6 and that they don't release Updates every 10 mins.

Last edited:
Just adding my 2c ........

I.m.h.o ..... having up until very recently been regularly using the FM3, Helix and GT1000 ...... I sold the FM3 and I think/hear that currently the GT1000 has the best tones and feel of the three ....... its fidelity and dynamics are truly amp-like ...... hence I am keenly awaiting the [hopefully very soon to be released] Helix FW 3.2 to hear how "massive" the sonic improvements are.

B.T.W ... the Helix UI is awesome .... but equally the GT1000 onboard editing is stupidly easy and intuitive ...... if it takes you more than 5-10 minutes to learn how to do anything I'd be stunned.

For me personally, Helix 3.2 will determine whether I keep the Helix or keep the GT 1000.

All the best,
Ben

Worked on my practice and backup GK based rig yesterday. Played the Recto model through the Rectifier I have in my jam room. Was pleasing to play but sounded like a chainsaw. I swear Boss just captured these amps at a certain point and then just put active tone stack on top and a gain switch that gives you more chainsaw or less chainsaw. There cannot be component level modeling happening on their stuff. No matter how enjoyable they are to play on a response/feel level.

Worked on my practice and backup GK based rig yesterday. Played the Recto model through the Rectifier I have in my jam room. Was pleasing to play but sounded like a chainsaw. I swear Boss just captured these amps at a certain point and then just put active tone stack on top and a gain switch that gives you more chainsaw or less chainsaw. There cannot be component level modeling happening on their stuff. No matter how enjoyable they are to play on a response/feel level.

On the legacy stuff? Not even the people that like Boss use those.

The AIRD stuff is what most are using but those are "Original" amps. Who knows how they're creating them. I'm not massively bothered because I like how they sound.

Although in defense of the Brit stack, having thorough experience of an 1959 (what became my Gower), the results of the modeled amp with a modeled SD1were close enough to the 1959 and an actual SD1.

I say close enough because it was as close as different 1959 and SD1. I mean it ball parked "boosted Marshall" because what's the Gold Standard of boosted Marshall anyway? How many people dial em in exactly the same?

I had both the GT-1000 Core and the GT-1000 side by side for a while earlier this year.

There's some cool things that they are doing:
  • Gapless preset switching
  • Clean and crisp sounding effects
  • AIRD cab modeling can be really nice and easy compared to IR hunting
  • Some of the AIRD amp models sound and feel great
  • Interface is actually pretty easy to use
  • Lots of processing power for dual amps and plenty of effects
  • Bluetooth editing on the GT-1000 is a nice feature
And some drawbacks:
  • Overall tone borders on being very digital (overly present/fizzy)
  • Legacy amp models can be not good to downright terrible
  • IR management is a disaster
  • Effects feel artificially limited (missing models/functionality from other devices)
  • Editors were kind of buggy
For me there wasn't enough to keep it around compared to Fractal and Helix. I thought Fractal amp modeling was overall much better across the span of amps. The GT can do a good generic clean or generic high gain, but can't do basic amps like AC30, Plexi, or Tweed Fenders. That's just not going to cut it in 2022 (or even in 2017). The effects were good but limited...missing a lot of models that things like the DD-500 or RV-500 would have for instance.

Overall it feels like they're a generation away from really nailing it, if they wanted to.

I had both the GT-1000 Core and the GT-1000 side by side for a while earlier this year.

And some drawbacks:
  • Effects feel artificially limited (missing models/functionality from other devices)
For me there wasn't enough to keep it around compared to Fractal and Helix. I thought Fractal amp modeling was overall much better across the span of amps. The GT can do a good generic clean or generic high gain, but can't do basic amps like AC30, Plexi, or Tweed Fenders. That's just not going to cut it in 2022 (or even in 2017). The effects were good but limited...missing a lot of models that things like the DD-500 or RV-500 would have for instance.

Overall it feels like they're a generation away from really nailing it, if they wanted to.
Happy Gilmore Win GIF

I LOVE Boss effects.

And some drawbacks:

Theres actually something called the WidiJack that allows the core to work via bluetooth with the app.

Guess they had to make some compromises in packing the 1000 into the Core box.

Can I join in? I've only owned the GT-8 and the GT-10 (briefly).

One thing I loved about the GT-8 was the dedicated knobs. I like being able to quickly reach out and grab the knobs without their functions changing and without having to first tap any other buttons. I still use modelers, but I always miss that ability. I also liked the big footswitches as well as the built-in expression pedal, which I miss on my FM9, but not enough to get an external pedal.

I got the Axe-Fx in 2008, which of course destroyed the sounds on the GT-8. However, the GT-8 was still useful as a MIDI controller, as well as a backup for the Axe-Fx. In fact, it was very good. At one point I had a DigiTech MIDI foot pedal, but the latency on that was terrible compared to the GT-8.

Then, I got the GT-10 just to hear how Boss's new modeler compared to the Axe-Fx. It didn't. Returned it.

I've read mixed reviews on the GT-1000 compared to the GT-10. Some say there wasn't much improvement. Some like the GT-10 better.

Is the GT-1000 drastically better than the GT-10? If it isn't, I would recommend an HX Stomp over the GT-1000CORE.

Can I join in? I've only owned the GT-8 and the GT-10 (briefly).

One thing I loved about the GT-8 was the dedicated knobs. I like being able to quickly reach out and grab the knobs without their functions changing and without having to first tap any other buttons. I still use modelers, but I always miss that ability. I also liked the big footswitches as well as the built-in expression pedal, which I miss on my FM9, but not enough to get an external pedal.

I got the Axe-Fx in 2008, which of course destroyed the sounds on the GT-8. However, the GT-8 was still useful as a MIDI controller, as well as a backup for the Axe-Fx. In fact, it was very good. At one point I had a DigiTech MIDI foot pedal, but the latency on that was terrible compared to the GT-8.

Then, I got the GT-10 just to hear how Boss's new modeler compared to the Axe-Fx. It didn't. Returned it.

I've read mixed reviews on the GT-1000 compared to the GT-10. Some say there wasn't much improvement. Some like the GT-10 better.

Is the GT-1000 drastically better than the GT-10? If it isn't, I would recommend an HX Stomp over the GT-1000CORE.
The last early GT unit I heard was a GT-5(?) YEARS ago. It sounded like shit. The 1000, my quibbles with it DULY noted aside; sounds great (as long as you give up from the get go and just use the Boss amp models). That aside; I would recommend the Stomp over the Core 10/10.

I still need to try the core - the GT-1000 certainly has it's quirks as well as some absolutely "wtf were they thinking?" design elements BUT there's some fantastic tones in there. The BOSS amp models have their own thing going on, the modulations are excellent and there's some serious scope to create massive delay soundscapes.

My main bugbear is the inconsistency of effects choices across various products. For example there's no Dimension chorus in the GT but there is in the MD-500, which to me is an absolute signature BOSS effect. I much prefer the way Line 6 and Fractal let you access the core library of effects across their range, minus a parameter here and there.

I hope they do a GX-100 core as the full size GX-100 is probably my favourite BOSS modeler but I have no need for a built in exp pedal.

I still need to try the core - the GT-1000 certainly has it's quirks as well as some absolutely "wtf were they thinking?" design elements BUT there's some fantastic tones in there. The BOSS amp models have their own thing going on, the modulations are excellent and there's some serious scope to create massive delay soundscapes.

My main bugbear is the inconsistency of effects choices across various products. For example there's no Dimension chorus in the GT but there is in the MD-500, which to me is an absolute signature BOSS effect. I much prefer the way Line 6 and Fractal let you access the core library of effects across their range, minus a parameter here and there.

I hope they do a GX-100 core as the full size GX-100 is probably my favourite BOSS modeler but I have no need for a built in exp pedal.

Totally agree, and I think I went on a similar rant over at TGP.

There's some really neat things about the GT-1000 (and Core). Super powerful, instant preset switching, dual amps, lots of DSP for effects. And some of the effect sound fantastic, very rich and clear sounding but with plenty of character. I actually don't even mind the old school interface, it works fairly well and is kind of charming.

But there's some key effects and functionality missing which are annoying. The Dimension as you mentioned is missing, the delays are all basically mono except for the dual which only has a few modes, the routing also prevents you from using stereo in Y splits. It's just...ugh.

The GX-100 looks like kind of a half assed update to the GT-1000, but I'd want to see them release a full new version with better routing, control assignments, etc. And some additional models that were missed.

Back