Ibanez 2023 Models

Martin Miller. I have never heard of him. Google led me to his site. After 2 minutes, he is undoubtedly a fine player and certainly deserving of some accolades. HE has a MIJ signature guitar but the Jem, the guitar that STEVE VAI used to basically show the world how far a guitars signal can be twisted and turned in creative genius gets shelved to Indonesia.

How many of us have scrimped and saved for a Jem? worked overtime? Used that tax return check? Picked up extra hours for? I’m one of them. The hedge here is people will do the same for a signature Martin Miller guitar. Lets face it and maybe I’m REALLY showing my ass here, but when a player buys a signature guitar, you want to BE that guitarist, at least .001% of you does even subconsciously. I sure as shit wanted to be Steve Vai. I do not want to be Martin Miller. I wouldn’t have wanted to be him 30 years ago, either. I went to school with 100 Martin Millers. The last guy I took jazz lessons from was a copy of Martin Miller.

I hope they sell 9 million Martin Miller signature guitars. I hope he gets a Lamborghini if he doesnt already have one along with a mansion in Malibu and Ibanez makes billions of dollars off of this. I just do not understand it, and I guess I dont have to :idk

I do not want to be Martin Miller. I wouldn’t have wanted to be him 30 years ago, either. I went to school with 100 Martin Millers. The last guy I took jazz lessons from was a copy of Martin Miller.
1672614554967.jpeg

Martin Miller. I have never heard of him. Google led me to his site. After 2 minutes, he is undoubtedly a fine player and certainly deserving of some accolades. HE has a MIJ signature guitar but the Jem, the guitar that STEVE VAI used to basically show the world how far a guitars signal can be twisted and turned in creative genius gets shelved to Indonesia.

How many of us have scrimped and saved for a Jem? worked overtime? Used that tax return check? Picked up extra hours for? I’m one of them. The hedge here is people will do the same for a signature Martin Miller guitar. Lets face it and maybe I’m REALLY showing my ass here, but when a player buys a signature guitar, you want to BE that guitarist, at least .001% of you does even subconsciously. I sure as s**t wanted to be Steve Vai. I do not want to be Martin Miller. I wouldn’t have wanted to be him 30 years ago, either. I went to school with 100 Martin Millers. The last guy I took jazz lessons from was a copy of Martin Miller.

I hope they sell 9 million Martin Miller signature guitars. I hope he gets a Lamborghini if he doesnt already have one along with a mansion in Malibu and Ibanez makes billions of dollars off of this. I just do not understand it, and I guess I dont have to :idk

It's a different time, man. I have no clue how Miller came to fame, I just saw some clips of him at some point on the internet. One thing that I think is pretty cool about the new school of guitar and how kids are getting it; guys like Martin Miller, Tom Quayle, Andy James, Rick Graham, I hear the younger 'kids' (under 30) talking about them at Sevenstring.org as if we were talking about Vai and Satch in the 90's. Or Tosin or Plini, any of the new school virtuosos.

They might be plain ole internet guys, but more importantly, they're monster players and the younger generation is starting with this stuff right out of the gate. Just like the Polyphia dudes. Once they get all the shreddy shreds out of their systems, we might still be around to hear the cool sh*t that happens as a result. Really, all those guys I listed above are my age, it's what I should be playing like and would be had I not discovered weed, booze, chicks and Pantera. :rofl Andy Wood is actually exactly where I thought my playing was going to be by the time I was 40. Now I'm like a shitfaced Jerry Cantrell that learned one fast lick from Dimebag once.

It's a different time, man. I have no clue how Miller came to fame, I just saw some clips of him at some point on the internet. One thing that I think is pretty cool about the new school of guitar and how kids are getting it; guys like Martin Miller, Tom Quayle, Andy James, Rick Graham, I hear the younger 'kids' (under 30) talking about them at Sevenstring.org as if we were talking about Vai and Satch in the 90's. Or Tosin or Plini, any of the new school virtuosos.

They might be plain ole internet guys, but more importantly, they're monster players and the younger generation is starting with this stuff right out of the gate. Just like the Polyphia dudes. Once they get all the shreddy shreds out of their systems, we might still be around to hear the cool sh*t that happens as a result. Really, all those guys I listed above are my age, it's what I should be playing like and would be had I not discovered weed, booze, chicks and Pantera. :rofl Andy Wood is actually exactly where I thought my playing was going to be by the time I was 40. Now I'm like a shitfaced Jerry Cantrell that learned one fast lick from Dimebag once.
You know something?

I’m perfectly happy with how I play AND the life experiences that came along with being 48 and not surgically attached to my instrument. God bless all these guys you listed. I started with Mick Mars and George Lynch. Not only did I want to play guitar, but I wanted to drink JD with my fellas and bang chicks. I do not regret a single solitary second of that and if I cant play a 64th note F# 7#11 arp at 230 BPM perfectly because I was chasing tail in my youth as well as playing guitar, I’m good with that. Im dying happy.

I’m not ashamed to say I dont recognize a full half of their artist roster. Merging another thread here, I’m wondering how many of these artists are more YouTube famous than having gone out in the world and done s**t famous. I dont know, so maybe you or the rest of the forum can school me.

I’m never going to look at people who’s biggest achievement in the world was starting and growing a successful YouTube channel. Some are quite humble and those I sub and respect. Many are quite full of themselves. Yes, its an accomplishment but no you didnt tour the world with DLR or Whitesnake (when they were playing arenas).

But I guess in the end, if you’re putting their guitar with your name on it in front of 500k subs, its good business. Old man yells at cloud. Once upon a time, you had to go out and do to be a star. I guess now you just need a thumbnail looking like you’re about to catch the money shot and a clickbait title. It’s all the same now.
I hate to say it, but we might be the old, disconnected ones man. I’m 47 next month. I remember wanting Bowler’s and Bettencourt’s guitars and tones because they kicked ass on stage.

I'm there with you guys. Technical skill on all these guys is DIZZYING. The songwriting is either unbeknownst to me or non-existent.
Yeah I mean it’s a bit of a cliche to say “yeah well, can you write a song??!!” But I’ve powered through some of the albums by these guys, and I’m largely bored to tears. Polyphia in particular. I’m tired of the Slappy McPoppy Widdly Arpeggio thing.

I like Plini and Nick Johnston of the new guys. We’re the same age and I dig their music. Plini is kind of continuing the Vai school with some added Dream Theater influence and Nick seems to be more in the Satch camp. His ‘Wide Eyes in the Dark’ album is quite good as far as instrumental guitar music goes.

How many of us have scrimped and saved for a Jem? worked overtime? Used that tax return check? Picked up extra hours for? I’m one of them. The hedge here is people will do the same for a signature Martin Miller guitar. Lets face it and maybe I’m REALLY showing my ass here, but when a player buys a signature guitar, you want to BE that guitarist, at least .001% of you does even subconsciously. I sure as s**t wanted to be Steve Vai. I do not want to be Martin Miller. I wouldn’t have wanted to be him 30 years ago, either. I went to school with 100 Martin Millers. The last guy I took jazz lessons from was a copy of Martin Miller.

martin is a veritable beast. his band is ridiculous. but that's just me. i love covers and when a band does them as good as martin miller's band, i sit up and take notice.

is he unique in the sea of great players? probably not. but i don't necessarily value uniqueness these days. you can be unique and totally not appealing to me--vernon reid comes to mind.

I’m not ashamed to say I dont recognize a full half of their artist roster. Merging another thread here, I’m wondering how many of these artists are more YouTube famous than having gone out in the world and done s**t famous. I dont know, so maybe you or the rest of the forum can school me.

I’m never going to look at people who’s biggest achievement in the world was starting and growing a successful YouTube channel. Some are quite humble and those I sub and respect. Many are quite full of themselves. Yes, its an accomplishment but no you didnt tour the world with DLR or Whitesnake (when they were playing arenas).

But I guess in the end, if you’re putting their guitar with your name on it in front of 500k subs, its good business. Old man yells at cloud. Once upon a time, you had to go out and do to be a star. I guess now you just need a thumbnail looking like you’re about to catch the money shot and a clickbait title. It’s all the same now.
yeah, i totally get where you are coming from. it's a different beast these days with who is getting deals. i mean, look...i have an artist deal with fender myself. i am nobody, but in the end it's business. for them, it's not about me being able to influence anyone, because i don't do that and i am a competent player (being generous) and nothing much else. but what they find with me is that i know my gear well and i give good feedback so i get to play prototypes and new things before they come out and i give them my honest feedback.

in the end, it's a business, and ibanez will probably sell more guitars having the likes of players who maybe generate more views and likes than guys who are truly influential players as far as tradition goes.

I like Plini and Nick Johnston of the new guys. We’re the same age and I dig their music. Plini is kind of continuing the Vai school with some added Dream Theater influence and Nick seems to be more in the Satch camp. His ‘Wide Eyes in the Dark’ album is quite good as far as instrumental guitar music goes.
I don’t think of those guys in the same way though. They’re not YouTubers really. I agree, they’re really in those two camps, sonically. Nick Johnston rules.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. He’s an amazing guitarist, but I don’t see any kids or adults wanting to get his signature guitar. Same for other YouTubers.

It’s great that there’s a new avenue these days for musicians to share their music, become more known, create a following, etc., without becoming a “rock star.” But for me, I can never see myself (or anyone, really), buying a signature guitar named after them.

Signature guitars, to me, are where manufacturers want to sell guitars because of the Artist using it…. I believe Gibson sells a ton of Slash Les Pauls. That’s why there have been several versions. I’m on a Les Paul FB page and it’s crazy the number of people collecting/buying Slash Les Pauls. Same thing with Satriani or Vai, etc. I believe they DO move guitars because of the artists.

But are Rabea or Martin going to be moving a ton of guitars for the manufacturer? Highly doubt it.

I don’t think of those guys in the same way though. They’re not YouTubers really. I agree, they’re really in those two camps, sonically. Nick Johnston rules.

Yeah, I didn't mean to lump them in with YouTubers, so much as I was referring to the younger age getting into these guys as a result of social media in general. I know Rick Graham is big on Instagram and I'd imagine everyone else has a decent following if they post frequently.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. He’s an amazing guitarist, but I don’t see any kids or adults wanting to get his signature guitar. Same for other YouTubers.

It’s great that there’s a new avenue these days for musicians to share their music, become more known, create a following, etc., without becoming a “rock star.” But for me, I can never see myself (or anyone, really), buying a signature guitar named after them.

Signature guitars, to me, are where manufacturers want to sell guitars because of the Artist using it…. I believe Gibson sells a ton of Slash Les Pauls. That’s why there have been several versions. I’m on a Les Paul FB page and it’s crazy the number of people collecting/buying Slash Les Pauls. Same thing with Satriani or Vai, etc. I believe they DO move guitars because of the artists.

But are Rabea or Martin going to be moving a ton of guitars for the manufacturer? Highly doubt it.
i tend to agree with you. maybe for ibanez it's a matter of throwing shit against a wall and seeing if it sticks.

Back