I wonder how long it’ll take someone to come out with a Redbox-esque IR box

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
What I mean by that is a DI-sized IR box that goes between the head/cab, or in the back of a combo with dual lock. The Cab M+ is close, but still a little big. I’m not a fan of app-based bullshit, but in this case I’d give it a pass, if it got something to that size.

BluGuitar Blubox maybe? 16 IRs, most of them pretty great. Mic position setting to adjust them a bit which is just some sort of EQ and IMO not particularly useful. No custom IR loading though.

I bought one used really cheap to try it and for the money thought it was a good box but wanted more adjustability out of it. Wouldn't buy it at full price.

What I mean by that is a DI-sized IR box that goes between the head/cab, or in the back of a combo with dual lock. The Cab M+ is close, but still a little big. I’m not a fan of app-based bullshit, but in this case I’d give it a pass, if it got something to that size.
HX Stomp velcros up great.

The CAB M is fun, actually.

Regarding software-bound stuff, it's actually a "tweak once + play" as long as you keep your mind at a safe distance from that gaping rabbit hole's gravity. ;)

Lots of them in the market already.

Off the top of my head

TC Impulse
Mooer Radar
Hotone Omni
NuX Pulse
NuX Solid Studio
ENGL Cabloader

I'm sure there is more. Some only have 1/4 jacks because of their size but a TRS to XLR short adapter cable or plug is very inexpensive.

Lots of them in the market already.

Off the top of my head

TC Impulse
Mooer Radar
Hotone Omni
NuX Pulse
NuX Solid Studio
ENGL Cabloader

I'm sure there is more. Some only have 1/4 jacks because of their size but a TRS to XLR short adapter cable or plug is very inexpensive.
Of those you listed only the NuX Solid Studio does what OP wants though.

Definitely. :D
Danger This Is Dangerous GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

DI-sized IR box that goes between the head/cab

In one unit?

Right now I take a signal form the parallel speaker jack output of my amp into a DI box, or into a 25k volume box first then into the DI box, or just a Volume Box if ground loops is not an issue (almost always is).
From there it can go into the DAW or an IR loader box with a XLR to 1/4" cable like Mooer Radar, HX Stomp, etc.

You can tap from the speaker jack as long as the parallel load is higher impedance than the cab and you don't clip the whatever you are running into.

A lot of MESA amps have a Slave Out which is just a 10k volume pot in parallel with the speaker jack.
This can go into a DI Box or an IR loader pedal even when the amp is cranked and not clip the IR Pedal if adjusted correctly.

slave out.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah something like the Radial JDX but with IR loading, no onboard cab sim or at least a switchable one to use with an IR loader of choice

Take my money!

I have a little Bray Line Out box that adds a line level signal between the cab and speaker. That would allow you to use any IR loader. It's passive and pretty cheap.

Back