I might be starting a band

Any of you guys ever seen Tom Hess?

He goes so far as to say you should have a written plan for the band objectives, that includes any and everything that having a band entails. And then you use that "manual" as the roadmap. I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but his thinking is that it takes away the possibility of one person "being in charge," since it's a piece of paper, and not a member, who makes the decisions.

I guess it makes sense, whether it's written or not. But I don't know how you could think of every single thing to address, beforehand, and, if I'm being honest, I'm fine with one person ending up being the de facto 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to take things in a direction that's different from what was originally agreed upon.

Definitely not wrong about a ’road map’ or mission statement kinda thing. My former drummer and I did this when we started our band in ‘03 after writing a couple songs and figuring out how we wrote together. We had a timeline of when we wanted things to be done by, like when we’d want to start gigging, when we‘d want to start buying merch, when we’d want to record, etc. It actually worked out about 90% spot on with our plans and I’m not surprised that that band was the most successful one I was in, I think largely because of that.

While everyone knew at the end of the day it was him and I who were ‘in charge’, everyone got to speak their peace openly but it never about the music itself, everyone got to write their parts as long as it was within the framework of the band. Well, except for my buddy Nacho’s parts….hahah…I don’t know my theory for sh*t, but I can tell when something is out of key and his ear is about as good as my theory knowledge. :rofl

Sounds awesome!!! Get some video and share it with us…
oh yeah GIF

Ready I am...9 hours to go. :rawk

2014 R8, Helix Floor, SD Powerstage 700 and my greenback loaded 2x12 (this one might stay in the car if I find a decent cab in the room)

My need for playing with other human beings in a band setting is basically the equivalent of blue balls.

I've got find my wife now, LOL.

1000002456.jpg

Damn, @HotRats, I was all excited for you catching up on this thread and then it went sour.

That sucks. Hope the guys gonna be ok and you all can get together soon.

Man, that's such a bummer. I could feel how stoked you are.

Hope it all aligns for you again really soon. :beer

My need for playing with other human beings in a band setting is basically the equivalent of blue balls
I share this sentiment although I've come to the conclusion just last month that I'II hang up my gig hat until my girls get a little older and more independent. Everything before that involving Covid gig shut downs and band member health had my balls blue and neck itching. My recent stint with a new band made me come face to face with all the things I don't like about gigging, so I'm happy to lay low for a while.

Maybe a weekly poker night-style garage jam in the near future for me but I'll live vicariously through you in the meantime! All the hopes and expectations getting squashed by unforseen circumstances is all a part of the experience. Breathe it in!

I share this sentiment although I've come to the conclusion just last month that I'II hang up my gig hat until my girls get a little older and more independent. Everything before that involving Covid gig shut downs and band member health had my balls blue and neck itching. My recent stint with a new band made me come face to face with all the things I don't like about gigging, so I'm happy to lay low for a while.

Maybe a weekly poker night-style garage jam in the near future for me but I'll live vicariously through you in the meantime! All the hopes and expectations getting squashed by unforseen circumstances is all a part of the experience. Breathe it in!

I understand you perfectly. I have 3 kids ranging from 1 to 9 yo and I'm not looking for a gigging machine kind of band. Au contraire I need a band that rehearse a couple of times a month a does few gigs a year, enough to keep things exciting.

The main reason I hope this band will start is thar all other members seems to share the same needs, we are about the same age, with families and kids.

But in the end I need to join band, I've been playing alone since Covid hit.

I enjoy playing piano alone a lot but with the guitar is different. For me playing guitar is all about turnup the volume and play together some kind of rock music.

Last edited:
Soooo, we finally made it, sort of.
Yesterday we had our first "rehearsal" unfortunately without the singer but at least we (drummer, bass player, other guitarist and me) had a chance to meet, talk and most of all play some loud rock and roll.

I'm not fully satisfied with the musicianship of the rhythm section honestly and that's a quite a big concern for me because I know they won't magically become better.

I'd stick with them and see what happens.

The most important goal so far was to find people to play with.
We had a great time, they seem good guys.

So far so good.

Soooo, we finally made it, sort of.
Yesterday we had our first "rehearsal" unfortunately without the singer but at least we (drummer, bass player, other guitarist and me) had a chance to meet, talk and most of all play some loud rock and roll.

I'm not fully satisfied with the musicianship of the rhythm section honestly and that's a quite a big concern for me because I know they won't magically become better.

I'd stick with them and see what happens.

The most important goal so far was to find people to play with.
We had a great time, they seem good guys.

So far so good.

Right on!

And ya never know how things might work out with the rhythm section, the first time people get together and jam can be stressful for some people and until they feel more comfortable they might play like garbage. I’ve bombed auditions before and then talked to the guys after and said “Can we give that another shot? I know I can do that a lot better”, I know one specific time I just couldn’t hear myself singing at all and was too shy to ask for changes to be made so I could hear myself, so the next time I went in I just talked to the bass player about pointing the PA speakers at me and I was good to go, but that first night….ugh.

And if they’re not up to par, you can still find a way to play to their strengths, whether it’s covers or originals. Then there’s those guys who have the abilities but don’t really know it yet and all it takes is someone with a little more experience to point something out to them and it all clicks. Ya never know, but at least you’re jammin!

Right on!

And ya never know how things might work out with the rhythm section, the first time people get together and jam can be stressful for some people and until they feel more comfortable they might play like garbage. I’ve bombed auditions before and then talked to the guys after and said “Can we give that another shot? I know I can do that a lot better”, I know one specific time I just couldn’t hear myself singing at all and was too shy to ask for changes to be made so I could hear myself, so the next time I went in I just talked to the bass player about pointing the PA speakers at me and I was good to go, but that first night….ugh.

And if they’re not up to par, you can still find a way to play to their strengths, whether it’s covers or originals. Then there’s those guys who have the abilities but don’t really know it yet and all it takes is someone with a little more experience to point something out to them and it all clicks. Ya never know, but at least you’re jammin!

I usually can tell the player level in few bars but you're right, people get nervous and under perform.
I'll stick with them and see where we can go because they all seem to be nice guys willing to have fun.

Nice guys, willing to have fun, and all with similar interests/goals with respect to frequency of gigs is all a big deal.

Hope you get a chance to jam again and it goes better!

It took a long time but I've finally joined a band. YAY! :headbang

It's not exactly what I wished for because my goal was to start a brand new band but I couldn't find the right people therefore I've looked for an existing band.
We've jammed 3 times, yesterday they asked me to join and I've accepted.

Cool people, relaxed environment, private remarshal room at singer and drummer's place (they are mother and son, father used to be the bass player but has health issues :().
No pressure, no drama, no egomaniacs and lot of loughs.

What made me say yes are the people in the band.
They are a really passionate group of friends that simply love to play.
The set list is as classic rock as it can be :sofa with a blues preference and I'm ok with that.

Right now my only need is to play with other human beings, have fun and turn up my jubilee/helix rig!

Last edited:
Back