I might be starting a band

you're a bunch of perverts

Just protein rich brother … land of USDA Prime!

scrooge mcduck 80s GIF

Been through it too many times. One guy was given a 2nd chance and promised he'd play nice then went right back to trying to change the band format
I was this guy once. Started a metal band. In My mind; it started off with a few common covers then go to original material.

3/5 of the band decided to try to get 4 hours of covers ready before working on originals. Band were all perfectionists with no leeway for interpretation and picked shit that 1.5 hrs a week practice was not going to begin to cover. It was a shitshow.

Any of you guys ever seen Tom Hess?

He goes so far as to say you should have a written plan for the band objectives, that includes any and everything that having a band entails. And then you use that "manual" as the roadmap. I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but his thinking is that it takes away the possibility of one person "being in charge," since it's a piece of paper, and not a member, who makes the decisions.

I guess it makes sense, whether it's written or not. But I don't know how you could think of every single thing to address, beforehand, and, if I'm being honest, I'm fine with one person ending up being the de facto 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to take things in a direction that's different from what was originally agreed upon.

Last edited:
Good luck. Im relocating in a Year and a half and plan on hitting the ground running just doing a duo with my wife to get us out there and continue making some money. Will be new and different, a little scary but Im looking forward to it.

Good luck. Im relocating in a Year and a half and plan on hitting the ground running just doing a duo with my wife to get us out there and continue making some money. Will be new and different, a little scary but Im looking forward to it.
What area, I'm just curious, if you don't mind sharing?

Anybody been in a situation where after hanging out and getting along you end up finding out the band members are God awful musicians and really sucked on their instruments ?

Anybody been in a situation where after hanging out and getting along you end up finding out the band members are God awful musicians and really sucked on their instruments ?
Usually the hanging out and getting along part comes well after I'm working with people already. If the audition requires hanging out before working on music, its definitely the wrong situation for me.

Thank you and good look to you both.

No, I never say yes to a band or a potential band member before having played together.
I can live with one or two band members I don't really get along with if they are good with their instruments.

A band without drummer? :rimshot
:grin

there's a drummer but he couldn't be with us the other day. we'll have another meeting all together I guess next week.

No but I havent been the person auditioning in a long time. I have had the opposite happen a few times. One guy, a bass player literally only played on one string. I wish I was joking. As far as knowing whether we suck or not, I always send recent video before ever setting anything up. never had someone say they weren't interested. I have had people flake out but never scared anyone away with the videos or playing live.

Once we auditioned a drummer, he came in the rehearsal room bringing his own snare, kick pedal, cymbals, he "tuned" the kit...
we started with ac/dc's shoot to thrill and he couldn't play a single hit of the intro in the right place... I let you imagine how was his timing and groove even in the simple parts...he was a complete disaster.

Me and the bass player in front of me looked each other in the eyes with terror knowing that what expected us for the next 2 hours :eek:

Once we auditioned a drummer, he came in the rehearsal room bringing his own snare, kick pedal, cymbals, he "tuned" the kit...
we started with ac/dc's shoot to thrill and he couldn't play a single hit of the intro in the right place... I let you imagine how was his timing and groove even in the simple parts...he was a complete disaster.

Me and the bass player in front of me looked each other in the eyes with terror knowing that what expected us for the next 2 hours :eek:

I honestly wish I had that kind of patience. I have earned a few haters because I'm straight forward to a fault. I have stopped people in the middle of a song and said thanks for coming. One thing I despise wasting is time. When you analyze everything right down to the barest essentials that is all we have. Time.

I'd venture to guess I have auditioned over 100 people through the years. Typically at an audition I can tell by the third song if they are going to work out. I have seen a couple times where the person was nervous so I gave them a second try and they did much better and ended up in the band.

I honestly wish I had that kind of patience. I have earned a few haters because I'm straight forward to a fault. I have stopped people in the middle of a song and said thanks for coming. One thing I despise wasting is time. When you analyze everything right down to the barest essentials that is all we have. Time.

I'd venture to guess I have auditioned over 100 people through the years. Typically at an audition I can tell by the third song if they are going to work out. I have seen a couple times where the person was nervous so I gave them a second try and they did much better and ended up in the band.

I auditioned for a band in my musician whoring years when I would take any and all gigs. The
keyboard player (didn't sing though!) was the definite band leader. I could tell right away. Very
much THE guy in that setting. They gave me a couple of songs to have ready and we went through
them. No biggie. Keyboard player stops us after. Has to go to the bathroom. I know he is taking a
shit. Comes out. Says, "Yeah, thought about it on the crapper and I don't think you are right for us
right now."

Flush! :LOL:

Fast forward 3 years and I get a nice gig with 3 of the other players in the band (drummer, bassist, female
vocalist) in a modern rock setting that was more suited to my style anyways. No keyboardist! They say he
was an asshole. Oh really? Apparently an asshole with Irritiable Bowel Syndrome. ;)

I still think it is funny that my audition made a guy want to take a dump!! :LOL:

Oh, that's brutal lol.
This is exactly how Microsoft does interviews… Or used to. It’s a little less brutal because they may just let you go after a 45 min. interview.

Not necessarily telling you that if you had a pass, there would be five more that day.

Super rigorous process, and doesn’t waste time. Candidates would never know however. I only knew because of insider knowledge.

Made it past 2500 external candidates, and a half a dozen internal candidates only to be told that the req was closed. Bad day lol 😆

Back