I HAVE ARRIVED AT THE PROMISED LAND!

Ron is one of the most humble musicians I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. I will definitely check this out. I love his playing and his attitude about everything music related. I also spoke with him after one of his shows. Totally accessible and friendly dude. Killer live tones too.
I love his work with Sons of Apollo. He's a very good singer too ! He uses Vigier guitars and he's the reason I bought one.
I have a 2018 Vigier Expert Classic Rock loaded with the Amber pickups hand wound in Germany.
His signature guitar is loaded with DiMarzio pickups. My other 2 guitars are loaded with DiMarzio pickups. I've been a big DiMarzio fan since back in the 70s...

Ron Thal is a Line 6 Artist....check it out !

Somebody wrote in and said they talked to Ron (BF) post show and saw he was using an LT direct to FOH...very cool !

Caught Rival Sons live just last week; Scott Holiday's core amp tones are all Helix Mandarin (Orange OR80 & Rockerverb) hooked to a SD Powerstage 700, going straight into a set of Supro and Orange cabs. Guy sounded incredible.

Last edited:
I just got through fully integrating my Helix LT with the 5150III and I can honestly say I have never been this over the moon about my rig. Here's the thing...

Helix direct to PA and/or direct to return of a good tube amp is good to very good, especially running them together. The EVH is a great amp. I have felt though a tad lifeless across the board on all 3 channels. I had no idea though once I set up my favorite blocks and settings for 4cm, that it would send the EVH into the stratosphere. The LA comp at the beginning not only gave it life but it supercharged it, all 3 channels with modest settings of course. Then the fact that everything else just sounds and feels so perfect from the TS to the mods, delays and reverb and also the clean boost, AND I managed to get the MIDI stuff all programmed so that I can change channels and enable the FX loop without the footswitch attached, and I am just so insanely stoked right now. Also I am back to my V30 2x12 so it won't be too crazy to bring my stuff.

So even though some teased me about finding the promised land before I definitely have now. Of course I am also realistic and have an entire set of 4 patches set for just direct use but right now I cant stop playing. View attachment 13329
Excited Season 5 GIF by The Office

Congrats!!

Question (as a mate of mine is using a pretty similar setup): What are your settings for the EVH's preamp loop? Do you have your loop levels at "instrument" or "line" and do you have to alter any send/return levels? And what's your output level and master volume knob position?

Fwiw, digging the LT's exclusive display mode. Who knows, I might still be using a Helix if the Floor had that mode as well.

Sorry missed the rest of your question. I keep the fx loop levels at 100% and my main knob is set at around 1 'oclock. Anything higher than that and a fart near the volume knob on the amp makes it go from whisper to run for the hills.

Sorry missed the rest of your question. I keep the fx loop levels at 100% and my main knob is set at around 1 'oclock. Anything higher than that and a fart near the volume knob on the amp makes it go from whisper to run for the hills.

Thanks. So that seemed to work effortlessly then. No idea what my mate is doing wrong, he's got a 6505 (those are the ex 5150 II, right?) and while sonically different, FX loop operation should work pretty much the same. Gonna ask him whether he's gotten things right by now.

Thanks. So that seemed to work effortlessly then. No idea what my mate is doing wrong, he's got a 6505 (those are the ex 5150 II, right?) and while sonically different, FX loop operation should work pretty much the same. Gonna ask him whether he's gotten things right by now.

I had a 6505+ at one time but I don't remember using the FX loop. What I do know is Peavey's in general are very susceptible to dirty fx loop jacks for whatever reason. I've run into it more than a couple times on various Peavey amps. My Ultra 120 and my Bandit Red Stripe were notorious for it.

The problem I am having today is my direct patches (for PA only use) sound like a$$ to me now. The same patches I set up until I smiled.

The problem I am having today is my direct patches (for PA only use) sound like a$$ to me now. The same patches I set up until I smiled.

It's not the patches or even the modeler, it's the speakers that your ears hear, you prefer the guitar cab.

Tweak your PA patches with a full band mix through the same PA, don't expect it to sound like a guitar cab, it's not.

Here's DI's article again:

This was the first time in ages where I spent an entire day just playing guitar. I think I made maybe 3 adjustments/tweaks the whole time.

That's my experience too with tube amps in 4cm.
It's 100% plug & play and have fun.

There's nothing wrong with modelling but what I enjoy the most is the more traditional amp/cab combo with an amp I love.

The helix into a guitar cab with a class D poweramp can deliver great sounds for my ears, sounds I've enjoyed for years both live and at home, but there's an extra something you get when a tube power section is involved that justify the use of a tube amp and a cab.

If you, like me, prefer to use one amp for the entire gig even when going full digital and bringing around some heavy gear is ok/an option, 4cm is the way to follow.

:headbang

It's not the patches or even the modeler, it's the speakers that your ears hear, you prefer the guitar cab.

Tweak your PA patches with a full band mix through the same PA, don't expect it to sound like a guitar cab, it's not.

Here's DI's article again:
I'm still annoyed that MarCom changed the title from:

It's the Playback System

Although it's probably best that I changed it from the very first title:

It's the Playback System, Stupid

Last edited:
Back