I Hate Quilted Tops and I Will Never Buy One

texhex

Roadie
Well... almost never.

I know this is a veneer but wow what a nice one, fairly well book matched too and the seam isn't horrible. Found this at my local Guitar Center in the back still in the box. Unboxed it, plugged it into a Mark V 35, tuned up the Floyd a little and it played perfectly. Played it for about 30 minutes or so, gave it a close look over and double/triple checked all the hardware and decided to pull the trigger.

I've had it at home now for about 3 hours and it's a keeper for sure. The recess for the Floyd on this one is absolutely perfect. I was able to get the Floyd and action lowered to exactly where I wanted it and set the relief in the neck and there is zero buzzing. The neck and frets are excellent and the dish carve on these newer Wolfgang Specials is pretty nice. I literally swore I'd never own a quilted top, they still mostly disgust me but I'm digging this one.

Very happy NGD!

BfwFPPh.jpg

0v82MUU.jpg

5uyYpu9.jpg

Last edited:
Yup Love the EVH its on my GAS list
and that exact one, the Solar
Congrats sure is a beauty

HNGD

:chef

Last edited:
Well I’ve been playing this thing off and on all day. A few things to note:
  1. The bridge pickup is awesome, clear and articulate. So far I’m really liking it compared to the JBs in my other two guitars. I don’t think these are the same as what comes in the USA models but I can’t find where you can actually buy the pickups that come in the USA Wolfgang guitars either.
  2. The neck pickup is very dark it also measures out at 15.63 whereas the bridge is 13.27. I’m not sure how I feel about this but it’s way too dark for my tastes. Good thing I hardly ever use it. :LOL:
  3. The frets may need just a touch of rounding. They are jumbo frets and I’ve never played jumbos before so I can’t tell if it’s the height or something else I’m feeling. Nothing is really sharp or sticking out, I just keep bumping them. It’s also a little weird having the strings so high up off the fretboard when I‘m fretting a note, not bad, just different than my other guitars. I kinda like it.
  4. The DTuna works very well once you set it up correctly. The low E Floyd fine tuning screw was screwed way down from the factory and the DTuna wouldn’t even pull.
  5. I opened up the cavities and the pots are EVH branded so I’m assuming these are USA parts?
  6. Guitar size and layout. I love it! The compact size is very cool, I though I would hate it but I don’t, it works.
I’m not sure if there are any real upgrades I’d do to this. The Floyd is not an Original German but it feels and works fine (it‘s also brand new) so we will just see how it goes with that I guess. Overall it feels like a pretty decent instrument and worth what I paid for it.

ZTUW0gN.jpg
2REussn.jpg

FxcF8gp.jpg

Last edited:
It's the strangest thing, I fell in love with quilted maple, in the early 2000's with PRS guitars. LOVE quilted maple.

Having said that, out of the 17 guitars I own, only 2 of them have quilted maple tops. Hell 8 of them are solid colors. I do have 4 flamed maple guitars.

This guitar kicks ass! I'm seriously digging this thing. I'm finally used to the jumbo frets, the neck is awesome, I'm loving the body size and shape and the EVH humbucker sounds incredible.

I was really nervous about spending money on these MIM guitars. I have a 2015 Les Paul Traditional and a 2016 American Standard Strat and wanted to add something different. I had purchased one of the MIM Frankensteins which came out to $2200 after tax and that guitar was a total joke for that kind of money (although it did sound great) and I returned it. This guitar is the total opposite.

If you have a chance to check out these newer quilted maple EVH Specials you owe it to yourself to take one for a spin.

This guitar kicks ass! I'm seriously digging this thing. I'm finally used to the jumbo frets, the neck is awesome, I'm loving the body size and shape and the EVH humbucker sounds incredible.

I was really nervous about spending money on these MIM guitars. I have a 2015 Les Paul Traditional and a 2016 American Standard Strat and wanted to add something different. I had purchased one of the MIM Frankensteins which came out to $2200 after tax and that guitar was a total joke for that kind of money (although it did sound great) and I returned it. This guitar is the total opposite.

If you have a chance to check out these newer quilted maple EVH Specials you owe it to yourself to take one for a spin.

This is certainly not helping my GAS

:crazy

Back