I Came Across A Couple New-To-Me Things To Work On Today

So what do you recommend to increase my index/pinky trill speed? (Or any trills really. My pinky is just the slowest.)

Does building stamina=increased speed?
Depends on what you call stamina, i can play 12 hours a day and not feel fatigued.
I also make it a point to play something an hour without a break. But that’s not something i suggest. For me it works because that stuff keeps me sane.

To the actual question …as i said play all lines you know with hammer ons from nowhere i.e. zero picking.

My go to for that was a Shawn Lane thing.

E—10-12-9-10—-9
B——————12
G

Then repeat on the next string, all the way down then back up in reverse

d
A——————-9
E—10-9-12-10—-12

Also moving across the strings.
Important not to play pull offs but hammer ons.

Next you can use it with diatonic patterns.

Then play it without index finger. As in index middle pinky becomes middle pinky ring.

Make sure your hammer on with as little distance to the board as possible. It dies not require force just a quick bounce.

If youre still with it practice it having the thumb off the neck.

Pattern works for 6s or 4s

Depends on what you call stamina, i can play 12 hours a day and not feel fatigued.
What I mean by stamina, in the context of whether it helps in building trill speed, is for example:

Doing any riff that involves PO's/HO's, with accents that switch to different notes (e.g., a 4-note pattern as triplets), doing it for a set amount of time, like 2 minutes, for example.

I try to use exercises like this with accents that switch to different notes, since that seems to help in building finger strength.

I.e., I can do a 5-7-8-7 riff at one tempo, but if purposely played as triplets, it now forces me to do the 8-7 P-O just a bit harder, to place the accent on the 7, then, same thing, as it comes back up, to get the next accent on the 8, I have to do that H-O just a bit harder...., and the riff slows down a bit. But I figure that's a much better way to practice it.

So if I'm right, I'm thinking by doing an exercise like this for a set amount of time, builds stamina, and doing it with changing accents helps with individual finger strength.

What I don't know, is if this sort of thing will help with building speed.

What I mean by stamina, in the context of whether it helps in building trill speed, is for example:

Doing any riff that involves PO's/HO's, with accents that switch to different notes (e.g., a 4-note pattern as triplets), doing it for a set amount of time, like 2 minutes, for example.

I try to use exercises like this with accents that switch to different notes, since that seems to help in building finger strength.

I.e., I can do a 5-7-8-7 riff at one tempo, but if purposely played as triplets, it now forces me to do the 8-7 P-O just a bit harder, to place the accent on the 7, then, same thing, as it comes back up, to get the next accent on the 8, I have to do that H-O just a bit harder...., and the riff slows down a bit. But I figure that's a much better way to practice it.

So if I'm right, I'm thinking by doing an exercise like this for a set amount of time, builds stamina, and doing it with changing accents helps with individual finger strength.

What I don't know, is if this sort of thing will help with building speed.
You are right. However if you view it as time rather than stamina and concentrate on making the time right rather then a dexterity builder you will get to your goal faster.

In other words if time is internalised you be able to juggle patterns that til now Felt better in 4 than 3 easily.

Last edited:
You are right. However if you vote it as time rather than stamina and concentrate on making the time right rather then a dexterity builder you will get to your goal faster.

In other words if time is internalised you be able to juggle patterns that til now Fell better in 4 than 3.
I think I understand that. Thanks

Back