I am definitely doing something wrong/ A/E into Helix

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Been trying to create a patch that works well for my cheapo A/E. Comparing to direct in to my mixer, it sounds dull it seems no matter what I do. I have tried the clean tube pre and a couple different compressors and EQ's. Also some Taylor IR's I have. I haven't tried to download a patch for A/E at customtone yet but I figured I wouldnt have to. This A/E sounds great on it's own straight to mixer but I'd like to have a flanger and a chorus for a couple different songs I do.

I must be doing something wrong.

How does it sound with everything bypassed in the Helix? If that’s not on par with straight into mixer…something else is going on.
If it is on par….you ruined it by switching the wrong block on :-)

How does it sound with everything bypassed in the Helix? If that’s not on par with straight into mixer…something else is going on.
If it is on par….you ruined it by switching the wrong block on :-)

Good idea I havent checked that yet.

Still struggling with it even after reading that the return is the exact same impedance as the guitar in when set to instrument. It dulls TF out of the signal. Gonna try a clean boost first in chain I guess. I can go back to straight in to mixer but damn wanted that Phase 90 and a Chorus badly. I do have a Phase 90 and a decent chorus pedal so if worse comes to worse just run into those then the mixer I guess.

basically what I am trying to do

1685548792729.png

Last edited:
I dont know what it is it's a cheapy Oscar Schmidt A/E I bought. Thing does sound very good into the mixer.
Active eq pickup systems shouldn't have problems with tone alteration since the have internal buffers. Strange stuff.
Does the input sound dull with other signals?

I was just mixing some acoustic guitar. I tried to put some chorus on it but line you said, the high end dulled out so I brought the mix and rate down and boosted some shelving EQ. Seemed to do okay. Could be the product of high end phasing from the kind of effect you're dealing with

For my A/E preset I have an optional eq assigned to a switch that boosts the top end. I’ve found that when I don’t have the eq on it can either be “warm” or “dull”. And that’s playing through the same PA each week. I think there’s too many factors at play to know what’s really impacting it on a given day.

I once saw Willy Porter do a sound check and it was intense. He had a ton of gear for his own sound and was still calling out specific eq bands to the sound guy to tweak.

Back