I’m askeert.

KingsXJJ

Roadie
After having a lovely honeymoon with my JJ Jr. head into a Creamback-65 loaded EVH 1X12, I ordered the combo in an influenced moment of bravado. It is sitting here, a virgin, waiting for a power up and play through.

Dear Baby Jesus…. What is my problem? I have a major malfunction.

Woop woop!!! Stereo rig!!! 🤘

Star Wars Salute GIF

Woop woop!!! Stereo rig!!! 🤘

Star Wars Salute GIF
Not a bad idea! Integrating pedals with even one amp though is painful for me. With a good solid base tone, I just need ambience like mild room/studio reverb or delay. I will say that the JJ Jr. Head brings it. Just like with GF’s, I seem to go for backups. Once a gig fails, PTSD.

Last edited:
JJ Jr is one amp I’ve been really interested in since they were announced. If I could use a tube amp I’d probably save up for one before anything else.

My only problem with the JJ Jr I borrowed from my friend is that it sounded small, which should come as no surprise. He thought the same, and sold it.

Sounded good tho, just small

I’m purposefully avoiding looking at Friedman amps on Reverb because if I see a good price on a JJ Jr, I can’t promise I won’t jump on it and I don’t want a high gain amp right now.

If not now, then when? 😎

Hahaha after I get an undecided tube amp that’s most likely going to be as single-channel, boomer-esque amp (Bassman/JTM45 territory) and a couple more guitars. I need to scratch a LP and a Tele off my “need” list. The LP might get scratched off today, but if it doesn’t it’s DEFINITELY getting scratched off in February. I’ve been looking at all the Japanese LPC’s today and have put a couple in a cart already….going to do my “Wait 24 hours and think about it first”

Now that Edwards will no longer be making LP’s, I want to take advantage of the prices they’re at right now. I’ve had major LP gas for the last week, which I’ve never had in my life.

My only problem with the JJ Jr I borrowed from my friend is that it sounded small, which should come as no surprise. He thought the same, and sold it.

Sounded good tho, just small
Thank you for being a part of why I was able to get such great deals on the head and combo. I think they sound glorious.

I presented my sought after tones to Dave and asked him whether I should go for the JJ Jr. or PT V2.

He said “Shoot, for those tones, I’d lean toward the JJ.” He was right and he knows his stuff. I still have a PT V2 on the way because… they are being made.

JJ Jr. Head sounded bigger than the combo to me. Sent the combo back. Looks like it is JJ Jr. And PT V2 heads for me running into EVH cabs (1x12 or 2x12 closed back) loaded with Creamback 65’s. Using a variety of delays and reverbs in the loop.

I love how the JJ Jr. does AIC. PT V2 here on Weds. Hoping it covers everything else Marshall… Plexi to 800 to 900.

Trying to avoid the Synergy Insanity…. Funny how comments plant seeds.

Synergy: Accept No SubstitutesTM
You are gonna end up costing me thousands. So in the synergy approach, it all about preamp tones coupled with neutral or “non-offensive“ tube power amps? With all of the discussion about poweramp tubes and the +/-‘s of small iron versus big, how is that truly possible?

Maybe it is the preamp that matters after all unless a tube poweramp is cranked to ear damaging levels… Personally, I just like the level/volume that a tube poweramp section reveals itself to be tube… just a touch of sag, compression, singing and feedback. It becomes more than simple amplification and adds a bit of something alive to the equation.

Last edited:
You are gonna end up costing me thousands. So in the synergy approach, it all about preamp tones coupled with neutral or “non-offensive“ tube power amps? With all of the discussion about poweramp tubes and the +/-‘s of small iron versus big, how is that truly possible?

Maybe it is the preamp that matters after all unless a tube poweramp is cranked to ear damaging levels… Personally, I just like the level/volume that a tube poweramp section reveals itself to be tube… just a touch of sag, compression, singing and feedback. It becomes more than simple amplification and adds a bit of something alive to the equation.

So I won’t front at all, a Synergy rig is not cheap, especially once you go down the rabbit hole of multi module rack setups. (SYN2 or multi SYN2’s) I suppose someone wanting a simple expansion to their existing amp/rig who has a clear idea of a specific preamp they’d want to get could do a simple SYN1+Module setup and it would be straight forward and relatively affordable. Most people end up going down the path of the darkside and start gobbling up all the modules and building elaborate rigs.

As far as power amps, it integrates pretty easily with any tube poweramp. The PS2/100 is a dead neutral power amp and the modules still sound great with it. I’ve wanted to pair it up with the KSR poweramp to add some extra poweramp coloration into the mix. I wouldn’t think about “needing” a neutral power amp, plenty of people add modules to existing amps that all do their own thing. Obviously it would influence the tone but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. On one hand you inject no poweramp coloration into the mix and you’re just getting pure preamp tones, on the the other hand you could say you’re “missing” some poweramp mojo. I’ve run it with amps and clean power sources and it’s still cool either way.

It’s a really nice system, once you find the modules that scratch the itch.

Yeah, the biggest thing keeping me away from a Synergy rack is that I know I‘d have to get my hands on every module. I feel like the module boat was missed by me with the old Egnater and then the Randall’s. I was really surprised when they got popular this go-round, it’s not often a product gets a 3rd chance at life and then takes off.

I wonder if that was just a timing thing, like the world wasn’t ready for it back then, but after 20 years of modelers, preamp pedals and all the other fun sh*t we got now, it’s not as foreign of a concept?

Regardless, @KingsXJJ is going to be rockin’ the f*ck out because none of those amps are downers! I think the most common comment I’ve heard about the JJ Jr’s is “Holy f*ck this is loud for what it is” That amp is like the really cute chick at work who flirts with you while you have a girlfriend and you’re like, “I can’t be playing along with this….I don’t need this in my life….but damn she’s cute and it’s harmless, right? I at least won’t think about her while I’m bangin’ my AxeFX” :rofl

Since I sold my AxeFX, I will be banging the JJ exclusively. Along with the rest of my gear. The AxeFX is like a girl that wears different wigs. Like Ana De Armas in Blade Runner 2049.

In someways you are just banging the same chic. I like a merry-go-round.

Maybe I’m being a d!ck.

Back