HX Stomp: Five Cable Method (5CM)

deepskyone

Groupie
Hey folks,

cool new forum, it's me (beginner-intermediate guitarist, advanced gear buyer). Nice to meet you!

After having complained about my stuff at The Other Place™️, I am trying to come up with creative solutions before I decide to give up and sell it all.

I am currently running
  • BluGuitar AMP1 Iridium
  • HX Stomp in 4CM
  • Rockboard MOD 5 connected to AMP1's Rec Out (with analog cabsim disabled) as IR loader to run direct
Here are the problems with this setup:
  • I cannot use the Stomp standalone without unplugging stuff
  • Headphone out of the Stomp is useless
  • The MOD 5 is crap. It starts clipping very early when pulling up AMP1's master and no possibility to add high or low cuts.
So I had the idea for the following "five cable method" setup and surprisingly it works. I am basically putting the preamp and the power amp in the loops of the Stomp like this:
  • Guitar -> In L
  • Send L -> Amp In
  • FX Send -> Return L
  • Send R -> FX Return
  • Rec Out -> Return R
Pros
  • I can ditch the MOD 5 and run IRs in the Stomp
  • I can run all the combinations without patching
    • HX Stomp standalone (in stereo)
    • HX preamp model into AMP1 power amp
    • Normal 4CM
  • I can run stereo fx after the IR for recording
  • Headphone out works as expected so I can run backing tracks via USB
Cons
  • I am losing two additional blocks (2nd FX loop + IR) when going direct or one block when playing only through a cab (Return R)
  • The signal is taking three trips through the Stomp
  • EDIT: Ground loops, duh 🤦‍♂️
Is this crazy? Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have tried some insanity shenanigans of this nature with the Stomp. It is super capable but the block limitations for something like this where you are killing blocks left and right with just sends and returns is not for me. I don't think you are crazy if it is working for you though! I will say I would love a full size HX in a more compact package. Multiple trips through the stomp is mentally concerning but in all actuality, unless you are Steve Vai; I don't think it will matter.

Thanks!

I decided to go into the opposite direction. Bought an SD-1 and a DD-3t and stopped 🦆ing around with 4CM and MIDI for now. Has helped my actual practice time immensely...

18068EF4-7F79-4294-B0EA-F20660665C60.jpeg

As for the latency, I tried playing the Stomp after the 3.50 update again yesterday. I am not sure if it's the COVID talking but I can't help myself, playing the modelled amps feels like playing through mud. Is this latency or is this the "feel" that everybody keeps harping about?

Last edited:
Thanks!

I decided to go into the opposite direction. Bought an SD-1 and a DD-3t and stopped 🦆ing around with 4CM and MIDI for now. Has helped my actual practice time immensely...

View attachment 2156

As for the latency, I tried playing the Stomp after the 3.50 update again yesterday. I am not sure if it's the COVID talking but I can't help myself, playing the modelled amps feels like playing through mud. Is this latency or is this the "feel" that everybody keeps harping about?

1. Nice setup. Definitely lends itself to just playing, vs arranging blocks and what not. Kudos.
2. As far as the feel, I, and many others, experience the same thing.

I'd be the first one to say that I am NOT sensitive to latency, just like I've never heard cone cry, or a speaker break in :LOL:, but, there is SOMETHING going on with my fingers when I play my Helix, vs analog gear. Like you put it, it's like playing through mud, and more difficult.

Thanks!

View attachment 2156

Oh that's a nice clean setup. Are you using the OX only for direct stuff?

Also, how do you like the BluGuitar cab? It looks super compact and has good reviews.

Oh that's a nice clean setup. Are you using the OX only for direct stuff?

Thanks! For me the killer feature of the OX is the room simulation which makes silent practice with headphones enjoyable and I have not been able to replicate it elsewhere. Also while the AMP1 does not really need a load to function it does need it to sound best. The attenuator is an added bonus which I use from time to time.

Also, how do you like the BluGuitar cab? It looks super compact and has good reviews.

Unfortunately, I lack a frame of reference and I cannot really tell. The only other cab I have ever played was a Katana. It does sound better than that but maybe a bit buzzy. Also have not had the chance (and skills) yet to take it outside and play it at proper volumes...

Back