HX One - Noisy

James Freeman

Rock Star
Adds a whopping +20dB of raised noise floor, unusable in-front of drive pedals or amps with even the slightest amount of gain, I can hear hiss with clean effects like delay/reverb into a clean amp.
I wanted to like it because it fills a very useful spot but I cannot recommend it, the hardware design is flawed, unacceptable by any standard.
I really regret buying this one.

20240801_172403.jpg

I don't think this pedal was made by the same people who are responsible for the HX/Helix line, this unit does NOT deserve the HX logo on it.

EDIT:
Using a super clean linear power supply to power the HX1.
HX One has +20dB of noise above the AxeFx3 noise floor, and a big 50Hz mains hum.
The case seems to be made of plastic, so not much shielding if at all.

20240802_064306.jpg

noise floor.png

EDIT:
HX Stomp XL noise floor compared to HX1 noise floor.
Same as the AxeFx3, HX1 raises the noise floor by +20dB of the HX Sotmp XL.

20240802_134544.jpg

stomp vs one noise floor.png

-

Sound Sample, this is how an additional +20dB of noise floor sounds like;
Turning the HX1 On/Off (true bypass, flat EQ preset) before the Stomp XL with a Brit 2203 model (Gain at 7) in the Stomp.

EDIT:
It seems L6 didn't apply the same hardware design principles they did on the previous HX releases, ie. they cheaped out on the AD/DA topology and/or testing it.

If I recall correctly Digital Igloo said he is not the product manager of the HX1, that may have something to do with the flawed design of this thing because Eric knows all about noise floor from the Helix and Stomp design which are excellent.

Last edited:
Dang, that’s discouraging. I’ve still been considering picking one up. I had a similar issue with the loops on the helix floor, they’re much noisier than the main input and weee too noisy for me in front of gain if I could avoid it.

D

Mine definitely doesn't add any noise to my rig(s)
Defective unit?

Doubt it, there are far too many reports fot this to be a single unit.
I am really sorry I didn't do a thorough research before buying this junk.

Adds a whopping +12dB to the noise floor, unusable in-front of drive pedals or amps with even the slightest amount of gain, I can hear hiss with clean effects like delay/reverb into a clean amp.
I wanted to like it because it fills a very useful spot but I cannot recommend it, the hardware design is flawed, unacceptable by any standard.
I really regret buying this one.

View attachment 25885

I don't think this pedal was made by the same people who are responsible for the HX/Helix line, this toy does NOT deserve the HX logo on it.

How you digging the El Cap v2? Thinking of trying that to replace the Volante.

The noise floor is why I didn't buy one as well, after reading a lot of the comments on it. A huge shame to be honest, because it really should be a killer device in all other respects.

I had one for a minute but returned it. If it was after any gain pedal or if gain pedals were in the loop there was a lot of white noise. I tried it everywhere possible and with multiple pedals and it was consistent. It was a bummer because I thought it would be a great utility pedal. Limiting it to pre-dirt pedals made it not worth it to me.

That's a bummer.

I have an HX Effects that adds noise to my rig, oddly the left output is noisier than the right. But it's noisy even if I add a noise gate in the chain.

Meanwhile my HX Stomp adds no noise and even if there's noise from the models, the noise gate makes it silent again.

Back