HX 3.6. Is there a snapshot volume issue?

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So dumb question that I haven't seen anything about. Upgraded to 3.6. It switches amp channels via snapshots. One snapshot is considerably louder than the other despite the channels being volume matched in reality without the Stomp in the mix. Nothing amiss on any of the levels on any of the blocks from one snap to another either. Is this a thing?

Are you 1000% sure there's no other difference between the snapshots? The surest way to tell would be to take the HX Stomp out of the audio chain entirely, and see if there's a level change with just channel switching connected via MIDI.

Are you 1000% sure there's no other difference between the snapshots? The surest way to tell would be to take the HX Stomp out of the audio chain entirely, and see if there's a level change with just channel switching connected via MIDI.
I don't believe so. The only other thing that could be is that the channel presets on the Boogie have some sort of weird volume twitch saved in them? There are a few other midi parameters beyond channels, fx loop and reverb. I wonder if the stomp is sending a midi command that is causing this? I need to crack the manual.

Another way to test is remove the midi out of the equation and just use the footswitch or channel toggle and see if the issue persists with just the HX effects in the loop and not doing the switching.

Do you have a compressor active in one of the snapshots?

Your release time should be set as short as possible, while avoiding the "pumping" effect. This is a common mistake when compressing low-frequency material such as electric bass and kick drums. If your release time is set too short, you will hear the compressor cycling between active and inactive states, resulting in a “breathing” effect.

No. IR, eq, dual pitch, delay, verb, send and return block. Super simple.
But not simple enough to troubleshoot this issue. So many variables that could impact level, if you happened to change one of the Snapshots unawares.

If you don't want to pull the Stomp out of the audio path, then maybe just copy the preset to a new one, delete all the FX blocks, and see whether the channel switch causes any change in volume? (But you'll still have to check to make sure input and output levels are the same for both Snapshots.)

I haven’t seen any snapshot volume issues, but I only use snapshots for gigs and I’ve been off for a couple of weeks. I don’t have another until next weekend. So if I have problems, that’s where I’m going to learn about it…

You probably have, but did you make sure the send and return levels and the patch output levels aren’t set to change in the snapshots?

D

I haven’t seen any snapshot volume issues, but I only use snapshots for gigs and I’ve been off for a couple of weeks. I don’t have another until next weekend. So if I have problems, that’s where I’m going to learn about it…

You probably have, but did you make sure the send and return levels and the patch output levels aren’t set to change in the snapshots?

D
I did. I am going to doublecheck all these things this evening just to be sure as well as copy the preset but leave all the blocks out of it and see. It could be the Boogie preset is flaky and I just need to resave it to that same slot on the amp itself?

I did. I am going to doublecheck all these things this evening just to be sure as well as copy the preset but leave all the blocks out of it and see. It could be the Boogie preset is flaky and I just need to resave it to that same slot on the amp itself?
"Boogie preset" is one of those phrases that reminds me I haven't purchased an amp in a very long time. :D

Step 1: Plug a guitar directly into the Boogie's input; pull any cables out of the Boogie's FX loop.
Step 2: Change Snapshot on HX Stomp to change channel on Boogie (via MIDI, I presume.)
Step 3: Know for sure whether it's the Boogie or the Stomp that's changing levels.
Step 4: Profit.

underpants-gnomes.jpg

This...is...weird

Guitar----amp
Stomp in FX loop using In/Out
Send from the Stomp going to my interface
Amp speaker out to 4x12

Stomp in loop and midi connected; snapshots are equal volume through the 4x12.
Stomp in loop and midi connected; snapshots are drastically different volumes through the send feeding my interface. There are NO level differences in any block or global setting listed here. No Command Center values other than PCs that call the up channel presets on the Boogie. The fact that the volume levels are different through the send seems like it would indicate it's that block with an issue but the settings are the exact same for that block from one snap to the next. Super weird.

Have you tried rebuilding the patch from scratch?

You could incrementally increase complexity while adjusting for perceived volume parity amongst snapshots.

Lots of work though.

Have you tried rebuilding the patch from scratch?

You could incrementally increase complexity while adjusting for perceived volume parity amongst snapshots.

Lots of work though.
Yes. This is weird af. Unless there is an issue with snapshots and the send block? Any thoughts @Digital Igloo ? I factory restored the amp (and associated midi interface and presets) via instructions given in the manual. So odd. I used the Stomp in the loop of the BL the exact same way and it does not exhibit the same behavior. It's not switching channels via midi but you would think that if it was an issue with the send block or physical send jack of the Stomp; you would still see the same results when switching snapshots.

Last edited:
Does collapsing a stereo signal to mono induce a change in output level on the stomp? Just throwing out ideas

Back