How hard do I pick?

You can of course keep derailing things, really, all fine with me. But just stop telling me things that I never even remotely asked about.

Since we are telling people about things not asked about, I suggest everyone put some 12's on and pick hard af and play Malcolm AC/DC riffs. His riffs don't sound right unless you do pick hard.

How hard do you?
I change it based on what kind of thing I'm playing. If I'm playing a riff, I'm picking hard enough to get the brightness and attack from the the guitar, whilst hitting the amp with a high enough signal to get a nice rock or metal tone. I'm not tensing my hand or applying any level of strain or pressure to my playing when I do this. It still feels fluid and free.

When I do lead lines it is much the same.

Sometimes when I'm playing crescendos and things like that, I deliberately pick softly, and then build that up into picking hard, and I'll quite often accompany this with volume pedal action to enhance the effect.

Since we are telling people about things not asked about, I suggest everyone put some 12's on and pick hard af and play Malcolm AC/DC riffs. His riffs don't sound right unless you do pick hard.
Put a compressor first and squash that hard picking.

Except this is true for most people. This is from Andy Wood who I'm sure you will find an excellent player with impeccable picking.

No, this is not "true" for most people.
And even if, it's still not what this thread is about. Something you constantly chose to ignore.

Deal with the consequences of harder picking! Physics.

I have absolutely no idea what this comment is supposed to imply.
Do I, at any place in this thread, come through as if I had no idea about picking strength and certain consequences?

Well, @Eagle - I suppose deleting all of your posts in this thread is what you think of as being good manners, right? Rest assured, it's exactly the opposite.

We’re talking at cross purposes so nothing useful will come of it.

While true, a) you started it and b) that still is no excuse for deleting all posts, which renders the last two pages of this thread into an utterly useless mess. Do you do that in real life as well? Like killing everybody who has witnessed something you've once said but wish you hadn't?

While true, a) you started it and b) that still is no excuse for deleting all posts, which renders the last two pages of this thread into an utterly useless mess. Do you do that in real life as well? Like killing everybody who has witnessed something you've once said but wish you hadn't?
There is nothing to be gained. You don’t want to explain how harder picking is not a musical decision governed by the instrument and the dynamic you want people to hear. It is simply not possible to separate these things. End.

There is nothing to be gained. You don’t want to explain how harder picking is not a musical decision governed by the instrument and the dynamic you want people to hear. It is simply not possible to separate these things. End.

No, the issue is that you don't even remotely understand what this thread is about - even if I explained it umpteenth times.
You could've just said "sorry, no idea what you're on about" and that was it. No hard feelings or whatsoever. But instead you decided to do what other forums would even ban you for (completely destroying any context by deleting posts that had replies).

I understand you I just think you are wrong.
And I wanted to try to see if I had misunderstood you. But we fundamentally disagree so you can decide to delete your posts and then you can continue with your discussion with a clear thread. It’s down to you if you decide to do that. Or it can stay as it is.

I understand you I just think you are wrong.

How can I be wrong when I'm asking questions as in the original post? There's just NO WAY to be wrong with those questions.
You. Don't. Understand. This. AT. ALL.
And now, pretty please, stop it! After all, you'll delete your posts again, displaying bad forum manners and destroying any thread context!
Thanks for nothing, really!

Fwiw, I kept (and will keep) going at it.
So far, even in case it's not causing any direct results I could count (which it actually is, at least partially), this "new awareness" has improved some things more than pretty much anything else this old dog has fooled around with during the last years.
Had a small gig on saturday, mainly acoustic and 2-3 jazzy tunes, improvements in that area are somewhat small, yet, I had a little paper note on my board (sorry, forgot to take pics) saying "Anschlag!" ("Picking!"), just so I constantly reminded myself, which, at least for me, without any doubt is the hardest part.

Need to iron out some things, though, such as balancing between strumming and single notes, but that seems to be less hard than I thought at first. Just with funky stuff I try to really dig hard automatically all the time. Need to check whether that'd profit from somewhat ligher playing, too.

Back