How do you monitor when playing live?

How do you monitor your modeler playing live (multiple selections allowed)

• In Ear Monitors

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Powered Speaker ("FRFR")

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Guitar Amp

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • PA monitor

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Multiple sources

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ragingplatypi

Roadie
Curious what folks are using these days. Especially curious what powered speaker options people are sticking with over time.

Just the amp as of recent years. Definitely not playing anywhere big enough any time soon to get an in-ear system, but if things ever got to that point, I’d gladly make the jump.

Just the amp as of recent years. Definitely not playing anywhere big enough any time soon to get an in-ear system, but if things ever got to that point, I’d gladly make the jump.
My IEM “system” is actually just headphones and an extension cord to the headphone out of my HX Stomp. I’m using Monoprice Quintet headphones which are about $50, but I’d give the $16 Moondrops that @SwirlyMaple mentioned a shot.

I use a high quality "FRFR" as backline (with a bit of sound reinforcement from the PA for the audience). I do this because my "FRFR" sounds better for guitar than our PA. I used to use a Yamaha wedge monitor.

Never heard that before.
I did it for years, and yes it’s bad. When you run just one, you end up turning it up too loud to compensate for your open ear. While it takes some getting used to and is slightly more fussy to dial in, using two is better for your hearing by a lot. I thought it wouldn’t matter for me at the time because most of the time I wasn’t playing on a loud stage, I was wrong. Today I’m playing louder stages more often so I would never even consider it, but I did some damage running one in ear on quieter stages.

D

I'll make one observation: if the objective of the poll is to gauge the relative popularity of different types of monitoring solutions, then "powered speaker" and "PA monitor" should be lumped together. There's no difference between those two types.

I did it for years, and yes it’s bad. When you run just one, you end up turning it up too loud to compensate for your open ear. While it takes some getting used to and is slightly more fussy to dial in, using two is better for your hearing by a lot. I thought it wouldn’t matter for me at the time because most of the time I wasn’t playing on a loud stage, I was wrong. Today I’m playing louder stages more often so I would never even consider it, but I did some damage running one in ear on quieter stages.

D
Thanks for bringing it up.

I'll make one observation: if the objective of the poll is to gauge the relative popularity of different types of monitoring solutions, then "powered speaker" and "PA monitor" should be lumped together. There's no difference between those two types.
My thinking was more if someone is monitoring themselves on a house pa speaker that is shared with other instruments or vocals.

Back