How do you all do them there pink noises?

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
I keep seeing cool charts being posted after someone has ran pink noise through a modeller, amp or pedal to check differences in settings/options etc. How are you all doing this?

I want to run some pink noise into my amp and then some pedals I've built to compare the differences but don't know the best way to proceed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hmm, I’m not sure about running it through pedals, but the Reaper DAW has a pink noise generator. It’s very useful for getting levels while mixing. You could line out from your PC to an amp or pedal with that sound.

I suppose I need to loop it back then so I'd either need to mic the cab or use a loadbox to get the signal back into reaper?
Yep. There are a number of ways to generate pink noise, but if you’re running it through real hardware, you need a way to get the output from that hardware back into your DAW (or wherever your analysis plug-in or software resides).

For an amp, a loadbox is the easiest way, but of course if you’re comparing speakers/mics, the loadbox won’t work :)

Yep. There are a number of ways to generate pink noise, but if you’re running it through real hardware, you need a way to get the output from that hardware back into your DAW (or wherever your analysis plug-in or software resides).

For an amp, a loadbox is the easiest way, but of course if you’re comparing speakers/mics, the loadbox won’t work :)

Thanks. I want to compare some circuits into the front of a jvm so a loadbox should work fine I suppose.

You could use the line out on the JVM instead of a mic or load box

That's a good call. My you gents are helpful dudes.

I was thinking something like this might help me get some definitive answers for the pedals I'm building. I've been breadboarding a lot of circuits and want to see if I can actually 'see' the differences in parts that I 'think' I can hear or if I'm just fooling myself.

Back