Help me setup my strat

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
I've been a Les Paul man for so long, that my strat just sits there and actually feels uncomfortable to play. So what's the issue? I don't really know... I've got the bridge parallel to the body, and it is locked down quite close to the body. I don't really use the whammy or anything like that, I just treat it as if it was a fixed bridge.

BTW, it is a Fender Player Strat, and looks very nice and sounds great! I just think it could play better. What should I take a look at??? I guess action, intonation, neck relief, those are all typical things to look at on a guitar. What about fret edges, any way I can deal with them without spending hundreds on a tech???

I'm listening to this, which is a demo I wrote ages ago:

And I love the sounds. Would happily write more of this kind of stuff if it felt nicer to play.

Is it a Maple or rosewood fretboard? Are you going to be playing in standsrd? Also what's the action like on your les paul?

Maple. Action on my LP is medium-ish. I've not measured it, but I don't like a super super low action or anything.

Also have you got a 6 inch steel ruler? It's worth checking the height of each individual string so you know you're following the radius of the board. That'll help with comfort and playability.

I use 11s on my strat and les paul and my les paul feels a lot slinkier than my strat. It's a lot tighter but I'm used to it now. The longer scale length of the strat will make it feel like it has more tension if both guitars are tuned to standard. It might be worth going down a gauge on your strat or even half a gauge. So 10s on your LP and 9s or 9.5 on your strat, the tension should feel the same then.

Ahhh. So I was using 52-10 on my LP for drop-C, and I used the same on my strat for E-standard. So should I .. gulp... try 9's ???

It'll probably feel a lot closer to the tension of your LP. Especially if you're in drop C in one and standard on the other.

I'm using 56-11's for the LP now, coz I'm switching between drop-C and drop-B a lot of the time. But the strat, I think I'm happy to switch between E-standard and drop-D mostly.

Okay.. okay... I may have been using too hench a string gauge. I shall buy a lighter set and try it out.

Bridge right down near the body on a Strat, vs. the TOM up higher on a LP perhaps is making it uncomfortable for you?

I'm so used to how the bridge sits on my Majesties and JP15 that I can't do a LP any more. (I mean, I could, but it feels too weird.)
If this is the issue, you can raise the bridge with a block of wood and longer bridge mounting screws, adjust the neck angle to match with a shim, and finally remove the pup covers to get them to sit higher. All of that can make the picking hand position pretty close to a Gibson's, and to top it off a 24.75" scale conversion neck will get you the rest of the way there.

In my time playing “aspiring luthier” with a couple parts Strats, I found I was able to WILDLY alter the playing experience by making small changes in neck angle with very fine shims in the neck pocket.

Some guitars loved the headstock to tilt a few degrees back, others wanted a few degrees forward. I’d find very noticeable difference in how the slinky the strings felt, small timbre differences too sometimes. I’m not an expert but I think the change in break angle at the nut and saddles is part of the difference.

If you’re in it to learn and discover, play around with the neck angle and see what you think.

A Strat in Eb is a beautiful thing. Can make them strings/that tension a tad more forgiving, too.
Yep. I've pretty much settled on Eb these days. Tuned one of my strats up to E yesterday and it was like "wtf man"?! :roflIt was pissed at me.
So grabbed the trusty Ibby Artist instead which plays like butter in E standard (and any standard really).

Anyways, I say experiment with string gauge until comfortable with the tension. Could be 11's or 8's. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been a Les Paul man for so long, that my strat just sits there and actually feels uncomfortable to play. So what's the issue? I don't really know... I've got the bridge parallel to the body, and it is locked down quite close to the body. I don't really use the whammy or anything like that, I just treat it as if it was a fixed bridge.

BTW, it is a Fender Player Strat, and looks very nice and sounds great! I just think it could play better. What should I take a look at??? I guess action, intonation, neck relief, those are all typical things to look at on a guitar. What about fret edges, any way I can deal with them without spending hundreds on a tech???

I'm listening to this, which is a demo I wrote ages ago:

And I love the sounds. Would happily write more of this kind of stuff if it felt nicer to play.

I dig that demo. Didn't realize it, but I locked into a sorta trance with it while posting. It builds up nicely. (y)

Back