Help identifying old set of 12ax7a

EOengineer

Shredder
I’m helping a friend sort out an old Kalamazoo 12 from the 60s and I couldn’t help but notice these old tubes.

As far as I’ve found CMI could be anything, they rebadged from many manufacturers. Anyone have a good eye for tubes?

IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5823.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

Possibly Mullard? But don't take my word for it as I'm not as well versed as many gurus.

Possibly Mullard? But don't take my word for it as I'm not as well versed as many gurus.
Same boat. Saw they were made in the UK and instantly thought maybe mullard. I’m not usually that lucky but the guy who owns the amp is.

Same boat. Saw they were made in the UK and instantly thought maybe mullard. I’m not usually that lucky but the guy who owns the amp is.
It probably is but just keep digging if you have to know.

Careful inspection of the images shows these are CMI Electronics... Printed on the tube.

From searching it appears they may have been Raytheon as the actual manufacturer and CMI might be Chicago Musical Instrument company...

?????

Careful inspection of the images shows these are CMI Electronics... Printed on the tube.

From searching it appears they may have been Raytheon as the actual manufacturer and CMI might be Chicago Musical Instrument company...

Yeah I think in both cases anything branded CMI in the tube space is probably manufactured by someone else. I’m not a tube expert by any stretch, but I don’t see anything pointing towards any in-house tube manufacturing.

I appreciate you guys poking around. I just sent the pics to my amp tech.

I’m helping a friend sort out an old Kalamazoo 12 from the 60s and I couldn’t help but notice these old tubes.

As far as I’ve found CMI could be anything, they rebadged from many manufacturers. Anyone have a good eye for tubes?

View attachment 27748
View attachment 27749
View attachment 27750
View attachment 27751

Date codes look very Mullard-esque to me. B = Blackburn Factory produced.

Back