has anybody compared Sennheiser HD600 vs HD560S side by side?

Cactusprick

Groupie
strictly for guitar modelers - Fractal, Helix, Kemper, QC and so on.

Are there really discernible difference in sound to justify the price tag difference (putting other factors as build quality and etc aside)? HD600 is almost twice as expensive.

I haven't used the 600 but I have the 6xx which is very close in terms of sound and the 560s.

I prefer the 6xx all around because it's just on the warmer side of neutral where the 560s is a couple notches brighter than neutral. Especially for playing guitar, having less high end in the headphone makes it easier to use longer where brighter headphones can be fatiguing.

If you're not in a big rush to buy, Drop has the 6xx on sale for under $200 a few times per year. That's a great value as they are basically HD650 headphones in a slightly different color, and the 650 (like the 600) sell for about $400. There's a good reason they are highly recommended.

The 560s I see creeping up to over $200 new which is a bit crazy, they were $150 last year when I bought them. Good headphones, but the 6xx (and 600 and 650) are better built and should last you quite a long time.

sorry I have to ask again... how does HD599 (I know I know.. not quite audiophile but) measure up against HD600?

A look Rtings says they are very similar. By design the 599 at least look very comfortable, maybe better comfort than hd600. 599 get good points for neutral sound also.

I have. All in all I think HD 600 is the better headphone. It's more comfortable, has better built quality and just sounds a bit better especially in mid frequencies. However, 560s is cheaper, easier to drive and has better imaging and soundstage if that matters. That being said, I sold both.

Edit. ...and since sound was the only factor to consider, I think you made the right choice of the two.

FWIW, I have the 599SE's and I love them. I compared them to Audio Technica M50's, and those I really disliked. Headphones are such a personal thing, you should always try a couple.

The 599SE's are very clear sounding, and are the closest I've ever heard to a pair of loudspeakers. I track vocals with them and their open-back nature isn't a problem.

I have. All in all I think HD 600 is the better headphone. It's more comfortable, has better built quality and just sounds a bit better especially in mid frequencies. However, 560s is cheaper, easier to drive and has better imaging and soundstage if that matters. That being said, I sold both.

Edit. ...and since sound was the only factor to consider, I think you made the right choice of the two.
What did you end up with after selling both?

I had DT770's which I hated, so that put me off the other Beyer pairs. Be interested in trying the DT1990's at some point though.

I had DT770's which I hated, so that put me off the other Beyer pairs. Be interested in trying the DT1990's at some point though.

I haven't had or heard those so can't really say how they compare. I also have DT 700 Pro X, which I think would be the "improved" version of DT 770, and I like them very much for closed backs. But those sound better with EQ (harman target), DT 1990 I prefer without. Then there's also the closed back DT 1770 Pro but those I haven't heard.

I'm curious to try the Beyer 700 or 900 Pro X. I've had 770, 880, and 990 and they are all way too hyped in the high end. It was okay for me a few years ago but with worsening tinnitus I can't do it anymore.

after hours of researching and reading I have decided to get HD600. Buy it right, and once.
You made a good choice. It's rare that somebody doesn't keep and use them forever once they buy a pair. I have a set that is 20 years old and recently bought a second set to use away from home. They're a great pair of reference 'phones and they also sound nice for general music listening. They aren't cheap, but you'll likely get many years of use out of them, and will appreciate the longterm value of your investment.

got HD600 over the weekend.

I was very underwhelmed at first as I have been using SHP9500 for a long time. HD600 sounded very muffled (so this is Sennheiser veil?), and soundstage was way smaller in comparison. It was very apparent the upper register is very flat. I used to own HD280 and did not love them for years I had them. But HD600 is much better than those.

I kept using it for more than 3 full days to give plenty of time for me to get used to the sound signature and for the headphones to break in (whether or not it is a fact or not).

I have found SHP9500 to be very sibilant cans in comparison - I have never realized this before. However I still love them as they give the top end sizzle and chime on FM3 and other modelers.

Base response sounded to be better on HD600, it sounded tighter and punchier. SHP9500 is quite loose in this regard.

In listening to music some tracks sounded similar but in overall I have found SHP9500 more open and pleasing. It sounds very open and airy comparing to HD600.

I know it takes a while to adapt to a new headphones so will give it more time.

In conclusion, never put down SHP9500 for them being cheap - I sill think they are fantastic although their sibilance can be ear fatiguing over time. Some may call it harshness, I call it liveness and punchiness.

got HD600 over the weekend.

I was very underwhelmed at first as I have been using SHP9500 for a long time. HD600 sounded very muffled (so this is Sennheiser veil?), and soundstage was way smaller in comparison. It was very apparent the upper register is very flat. I used to own HD280 and did not love them for years I had them. But HD600 is much better than those.

I kept using it for more than 3 full days to give plenty of time for me to get used to the sound signature and for the headphones to break in (whether or not it is a fact or not).

I have found SHP9500 to be very sibilant cans in comparison - I have never realized this before. However I still love them as they give the top end sizzle and chime on FM3 and other modelers.

Base response sounded to be better on HD600, it sounded tighter and punchier. SHP9500 is quite loose in this regard.

In listening to music some tracks sounded similar but in overall I have found SHP9500 more open and pleasing. It sounds very open and airy comparing to HD600.

I know it takes a while to adapt to a new headphones so will give it more time.

In conclusion, never put down SHP9500 for them being cheap - I sill think they are fantastic although their sibilance can be ear fatiguing over time. Some may call it harshness, I call it liveness and punchiness.
Based on measurements I’m seeing online, the SHP9500 has a boost of roughly 5dB from about 4kHz to 7kHz. That’s a pretty significant spike in the sibilant treble frequencies. Your ears might be accustomed to that, but I’d expect it to be pretty fatiguing. That will surely make them sound more airy, but boosted response in one area is equivalent to attenuated response in another.

Definitely give yourself some extra time to get accustomed to the HD600. What you’re perceiving as a “veil” is likely just the lack of over-hyped treble. If you want the HD600 to sound more like the Philips, you could always use EQ to boost 4k to 7k… but I can’t really recommend it ;)

You know what they say though… beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Or something like that! :headbang

Based on measurements I’m seeing online, the SHP9500 has a boost of roughly 5dB from about 4kHz to 7kHz. That’s a pretty significant spike in the sibilant treble frequencies. Your ears might be accustomed to that, but I’d expect it to be pretty fatiguing. That will surely make them sound more airy, but boosted response in one area is equivalent to attenuated response in another.

Definitely give yourself some extra time to get accustomed to the HD600. What you’re perceiving as a “veil” is likely just the lack of over-hyped treble. If you want the HD600 to sound more like the Philips, you could always use EQ to boost 4k to 7k… but I can’t really recommend it ;)

You know what they say though… beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Or something like that! :headbang
HD600 is definitely growing on me after many hours. :D I was listening to some oldies through them all evening and the decay on some of reverb was like I never heard before. It truly reveals some more details that are missing on other cans.

Back