has anybody compared Sennheiser HD600 vs HD560S side by side?

Based on measurements I’m seeing online, the SHP9500 has a boost of roughly 5dB from about 4kHz to 7kHz. That’s a pretty significant spike in the sibilant treble frequencies. Your ears might be accustomed to that, but I’d expect it to be pretty fatiguing. That will surely make them sound more airy, but boosted response in one area is equivalent to attenuated response in another.

Definitely give yourself some extra time to get accustomed to the HD600. What you’re perceiving as a “veil” is likely just the lack of over-hyped treble. If you want the HD600 to sound more like the Philips, you could always use EQ to boost 4k to 7k… but I can’t really recommend it ;)

You know what they say though… beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Or something like that! :headbang
Those things can really screw up the experience. I bought a Beyer DT770 for my first modeler, and it totally ruined my first experience with a modeler, for two years. Nothing I did translated to even remotely, and it wasn’t until forum members (thanks tgp!!!) told me.. “can be that you’re adjusting your sound for the 770’s and when you play through something else everything is off”. This was true and it was a high end spike that got me… and they were also closed making it worse on the ears.

HD600 changed all that. After getting used to them, I had no problems dialing in sounds on them at home and then actually being pretty damn close in to where I wanted in the rehearsal with a band. Minor adjustments of course, but I could actually use headphones to make presets in the ballpark.

Now I’m just a homeplayer, but I rely on the Hd600 over the Presonus monitors I had (sold them fuckers) even for putting out stuff like clips on IG and such.

HD600 is definitely growing on me after many hours. :D I was listening to some oldies through them all evening and the decay on some of reverb was like I never heard before. It truly reveals some more details that are missing on other cans.
Cool, cool. At the very least, based on the measurements from Crinacle and Oratory1990, the HD600’s mids should sound noticeably fuller and more balanced than what you were hearing in the SHP.

Our ears are initially drawn to brighter and louder audio, much like our eyes preferring vivid, oversaturated colors on TVs. But it’s a bit of an illusion which comes with other problems, such as being a very poor reference that doesn’t translate well to other devices or listeners.

Those things can really screw up the experience. I bought a Beyer DT770 for my first modeler, and it totally ruined my first experience with a modeler, for two years. Nothing I did translated to even remotely, and it wasn’t until forum members (thanks tgp!!!) told me.. “can be that you’re adjusting your sound for the 770’s and when you play through something else everything is off”. This was true and it was a high end spike that got me… and they were also closed making it worse on the ears.

HD600 changed all that. After getting used to them, I had no problems dialing in sounds on them at home and then actually being pretty damn close in to where I wanted in the rehearsal with a band. Minor adjustments of course, but I could actually use headphones to make presets in the ballpark.

Now I’m just a homeplayer, but I rely on the Hd600 over the Presonus monitors I had (sold them *****ers) even for putting out stuff like clips on IG and such.
1000x this. I use my HD600 as a mixing reference too. If it sounds good and balanced in them, it’s likely to sound good on many other playback devices, whether they are bass-bloated or treble-heavy.

Also, if you listen to well-produced music a lot in them, it trains your ears to what balanced mixes *should* sound like in terms of frequency distribution. That can be very useful even just for dialing in guitar patches.

I've got the following headphones:

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD558
Roland RH-A30
BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm
Tascam TH-02
AKG Y50

I use headphones almost exclusively for playing guitars, so they are always connected to the headphone amp Topping l30 ii, which is then connected to the line outs of my audio interface.

Sennheiser HD600 sound best to me without any EQ correction. There is little to no benefit from EQing these headphones. They are that good. Beyerdynamic DT990 sound just as good, with a different sound signature of course, but only after the corrective EQ is applied. For this I use Realphones, and their EQ profile has turned my Beyers into completely different headphones. It's crazy how different they sound, in a good way. Roland RH-A30 are no slouch either. The rest of the pack is underwhelming to say the least, if you ask me.

Back