Half-days and hurricanes!

DrewJD82

Staff member
This Hurricane Nicole couldn’t have worked out any better for me; we’re just outside the cone in Ft. Lauderdale but we’re still getting some nasty weather, went in this morning and had my staff button up the property, by 8AM we were ready to go, CFO makes the call that we’re doing a half-day and we’re OFF tomorrow due to the weather. HELL YES!!!

What’s funny is our company owns the campus I run, so the tenants tend to look to us in regards to closing down/working from home. Since we don’t rely on day to day operations to keep the bills paid, everyone in my company takes the “Safety first, we don’t *need* to be here, so we won’t be. We value our employee’s safety far too much to concern ourselves with that.”, which makes the rest of the tenants look like dicks because they all want their staff to come in.

God Of War Ragnarok is downloading on my PS4, just picked up a big ole fat sack yesterday, got my new Lovepedals in yesterday, I’m good to go! I just have to keep an eye out for a hurricane warning, if we hit that status I need to run back to the property, shut down the elevators and chain up a few doors on mag-locks in case we lose power, thankfully I’m only 1.5 miles away and the roads are barren right now.

These are the times I thoroughly enjoy the media’s “YOU’RE ALL GOING TO F*CKING DIE IN THIS TROPICAL STORM THAT WE’RE PREDICTING IS GOING TO REACH CATASTROPHIC LEVELS!!! GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BUY EVERYTHING!!! GO TO PUBLIX AND BY EVERYTHING!!! YOU MIGHT NOT DIE IF YOU DO BUT IF YOU DON’T YOU WILL DEFINITELY DIE! YOUR WHOLE FAMILY, DEAD! BUY SOME SH*T! This hurricane announcement was brought to you by Home Depot, Lowes and Publx”, this is one of them.

We were on a project on the beach this morning and the wind was whipping and the waves were kicking. School is closed tomorrow so here’s to a 4 day weekend!

sean penn surfer GIF

Ya know, I love my company, but they fucked up today. After staying up until 7AM playing video games because I was OFF today, I get a call at 9AM from my CFO asking where I am.

To preface, I QUADRUPLE checked yesterday, “So we are closed REGARDLESS of the weather conditions, correct?” I was told that’s correct. Well I’m typing this from my f*cking desk running off an hour and a half of sleep because someone decided it’s nice enough to go into work today. Can’t reach half my staff because they’re probably out on a f*cking boat or something right now since we were all told we’d be off today and it’s beautiful outside.

I haven’t been legitimately pissed off in nearly 8 months, like livid pissed, that just ruined my streak.

Any Florida native knows the weather channel is FOS, 100% of the time. If they say “Cat 5” it means Cat 1 or 2, if they say Tropical Storm or Cat 1 it means a thunderstorm. It’s absolute bullsh*t this call to come in today was made after knowing full and well we weren’t going to get hit with sh*t.

I grrew up on the Florida Space Coast, Satellite Beach, to be exact. Hurrricanes were no big deal to my family and remember running out front in the yard to stand in the eye as it based by .... :facepalm

Later, I became the City manager/planner for the emergency plans for hurricanes et.al., and did that for 12 years. Learned enough to stop being casual with them as they approach. Give me a nuclear reactor accident any day!

Well, in Las Vegas, no more worries, except for a sister, son, and daughter in the Central Florida area, east and west coast ..... (sigh!).
Well, they all made it through this one, and i can wait for the next one to start worrrying again .....

I grrew up on the Florida Space Coast, Satellite Beach, to be exact. Hurrricanes were no big deal to my family and remember running out front in the yard to stand in the eye as it based by .... :facepalm

Later, I became the City manager/planner for the emergency plans for hurricanes et.al., and did that for 12 years. Learned enough to stop being casual with them as they approach. Give me a nuclear reactor accident any day!

Well, in Las Vegas, no more worries, except for a sister, son, and daughter in the Central Florida area, east and west coast ..... (sigh!).
Well, they all made it through this one, and i can wait for the next one to start worrrying again .....

Yep, they really aren’t big deals here for the most part and largely because the media hypes everyone up so much that they just sound like they’re crying wolf at this point. I totally get the idea of “We have to cover our asses and make sure people ARE warned that this could get bad”, but they focus a LOT more on the “YOU’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!” part and not the realistic aspects of them nearly enough.

I couldn’t imagine doing that for a whole city, I just handle a large commercial campus and that’s MORE than enough for me!

That sucks, Drew. I don't know about you, but bullshit last minute surprises/changes can toss
me into a downward spiral. Easy to go into the "Fuck you all!" place. It's one thing to be mentally
prepared for it, and another to not be prepared at all, and then you have to cave in to someone else's
last minute shift.

I know they appreciate you, based on what you have shared in the past, and hope you get
through the day ok. :hugitout

That sucks, Drew. I don't know about you, but bullshit last minute surprises/changes can toss
me into a downward spiral. Easy to go into the "f**k you all!" place. It's one thing to be mentally
prepared for it, and another to not be prepared at all, and then you have to cave in to someone else's
last minute shift.

I know they appreciate you, based on what you have shared in the past, and hope you get
through the day ok. :hugitout

Thanks, brudda.

It actually took a definite turn for the worse, but I’m just going to shut my mouth because I ain’t got nothin’ good to say right now.

Back