Guitar Wireless Frequencies

Rock Chalk

Roadie
So a while back, I got a 3-node wireless mesh system for our place, which is bad-ass as it has made our wireless performance rock solid on everything from our i-devices to our security/wildlife cams.....love it.

The problem is, this mesh system has made my Carvin WG5 guitar wireless useless, as it just garbles the signal no matter what channel I choose on the Carvin.

My question is, is there a guitar wireless system that uses something other than 2.4 or 5g that can co-exist with the mesh system? If there is, hopefully it comes in the same form factor as the Carvin, as I don't want to have to wear a wireless pack here at the house lol. I mean, I don't really need wireless, but it sure is nice to not have to deal with a cord!

There will be pro systems that use other bands. Most are going to use 2.4 and/or 5 though, because those are the "free" spaces that can be used without needing to be licenced/regulated etc. (which is why WiFi routers use them). There will be systems that use UHF, or use licenced frequencies, but in my limited experience once you get into the licenced bands it gets complicated if you're going to be using them at loads of different venues (at least in the UK, although my info may well be out of date).

{Edit to add}
Depending on how congested your WiFi frequencies are at home, you could take your mesh system off "auto" and fix it to known channels, and (assuming it supports it) but your guitar wireless on a channel at least three away from the nearest mesh channel, which will cut down on interference. In theory.

There's this post: https://thegearforum.com/threads/be...ons-that-dont-break-the-bank.2266/post-169864

and also, we were just discussing these the other day, but I can't find the thread right now:

Edit: here it is: https://thegearforum.com/threads/fr...-chains-of-this-mortal-coil.4281/#post-170879

There's this post: https://thegearforum.com/threads/be...ons-that-dont-break-the-bank.2266/post-169864

and also, we were just discussing these the other day, but I can't find the thread right now:

Edit: here it is: https://thegearforum.com/threads/fr...-chains-of-this-mortal-coil.4281/#post-170879
Bingo......I think that's just what the doctor ordered......thanks!

I have some old X2 XDS95 wireless systems I bought in early 00s (before L6 bought them, one wa actually made in Sacramento CA), they are non-wifi-band RF and work great. The weak point is the guitar to transmitter cable, but I can fix or rebuild them as required.

Also, my IEM system is an old non-wifi Shure PSM200 and it also does not have any issues with wifi-induced noise.

FWIW it was for that reason I stopped using my cheapie Xvive U2 wireless dongles, they kept getting stepped on by any nearby wifi signal...

With the non-wifi RF wireless system you just need to check if they operate on any forbidden bands before you buy, not that hard to do. Check this out:
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/operation-wireless-microphones

It sounds like you've had some success with your older non-wifi RF wireless systems, such as the X2 XDS95 and the Shure PSM200, which have proven reliable without experiencing interference from wifi signals. This contrasts with your experience using cheaper Xvive U2 wireless dongles, which were prone to interference from nearby wifi signals.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think newer wifi based system would try to interfere with your wifi network.

It sounds like you've had some success with your older non-wifi RF wireless systems, such as the X2 XDS95 and the Shure PSM200, which have proven reliable without experiencing interference from wifi signals. This contrasts with your experience using cheaper Xvive U2 wireless dongles, which were prone to interference from nearby wifi signals.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think newer wifi based system would try to interfere with your wifi network.
That may very well be true. Tbh I haven't really noticed anything untoward with my router while using the dongles at home, but now that you mention it I will investigate. I suspect the router may have more robust interference rejection capabilities than the dongles, but interesting thought.

FWIW, my bandage uses a L6 G50, which I believe uses 2.4G wifi band, for rehearsals and gigs, haven't noticed any issues using wifi at his place. But then again we only use wifi when playing back tunes from YT etc...

EDIT was thinking some more about this, seems to me the RF power output of the dongles is likely less, perhaps significantly so, than a router, so it may not be powerful enough to affect the router unless it is literally right on top of it. Got me curious, I'm gonna look into it...

Last edited:
That may very well be true. Tbh I haven't really noticed anything untoward with my router while using the dongles at home, but now that you mention it I will investigate. I suspect the router may have more robust interference rejection capabilities than the dongles, but interesting thought.

FWIW, my bandage uses a L6 G50, which I believe uses 2.4G wifi band, for rehearsals and gigs, haven't noticed any issues using wifi at his place. But then again we only use wifi when playing back tunes from YT etc...

EDIT was thinking some more about this, seems to me the RF power output of the dongles is likely less, perhaps significantly so, than a router, so it may not be powerful enough to affect the router unless it is literally right on top of it. Got me curious, I'm gonna look into it...
The actually, the interference would be very negligible. You may even need to use a spectrum analyzer to see the difference, which I think is totally unnecessary.

Back