Gilmour’s PULSE tones isolated

DrewJD82

Staff member
So I tossed this video on while I went about some work emails and at one point stopped because it was the absolute best I had ever heard someone cop Gilmour’s tone and playing. When I looked at the TV I saw he‘s offering the isolated tracks if you sign up to his Patreon, I might do that. @Piing, not sure if you saw this yet brother!

Good info, though his gear diagram doesn’t really give the full story of how the PULSE rig was wired up, it does a good job overall at going through the gear and those isolated tracks are rather priceless. Sounds like there’s some phase issues occasionally, but definitely quality enough to get a good idea of the tone and especially the delays.

I’ve been trying like hell to nail the lead tones in “Coming Back To Life” this week. I actually went and learned the leads note for note, I thought I knew these pretty well back in middle school but that’s definitely not the case. That motherfucker is the master of playing in a non-linear fashion, dude can make 4 different notes sound like he’s running up and down the damn neck and it’s astounding how much it trips my fingers up.

Are you planning on "Fractalizing" these tones, or doing it with real pedals?

Fractalizing right now, the real pedals is kinda the back burner/hobby within a hobby thing. I’ve been tempted to try using a Dover Drive or the Iron Bell when going for the “Coming Back To Life” tone, I haven’t had good luck with the Tube Driver models. Think I’m going to reset everything and start over though, I spent about 2 days tweaking further away from what I was going for than closer to it.

I'm pretty sure Fractalizing it will be doable and get those tones
This will be very interesting for sure, Comfortably Numb is on my list of songs

Fractalizing right now, the real pedals is kinda the back burner/hobby within a hobby thing. I’ve been tempted to try using a Dover Drive or the Iron Bell when going for the “Coming Back To Life” tone, I haven’t had good luck with the Tube Driver models. Think I’m going to reset everything and start over though, I spent about 2 days tweaking further away from what I was going for than closer to it.
I'd love to try the preset when you get to that point.

I'm pretty sure Fractalizing it will be doable and get those tones
This will be very interesting for sure, Comfortably Numb is on my list of songs

Oh for sure. The biggest issue I’m having is going from the neck pickup in the 1st solo to the bridge in the 2nd; I haven’t been able to get the tone sounding right for both positions. He could be fucking with the EXG/SPC controls on the Strat between solos, too, there’s definitely a mid boost going on that 1st solo.

For the PULSE stuff his lead tone in “Comfortably Numb” is pretty much the same as the lead tone in “Sorrow”, I think he’s just dropping the mids on the SPC control for the “CN” solo, that was the first one I started to tackle with the preset, I just have to actually learn the solo now.

Oh for sure. The biggest issue I’m having is going from the neck pickup in the 1st solo to the bridge in the 2nd; I haven’t been able to get the tone sounding right for both positions. He could be fucking with the EXG/SPC controls on the Strat between solos, too, there’s definitely a mid boost going on that 1st solo.

For the PULSE stuff his lead tone in “Comfortably Numb” is pretty much the same as the lead tone in “Sorrow”, I think he’s just dropping the mids on the SPC control for the “CN” solo, that was the first one I started to tackle with the preset, I just have to actually learn the solo now.

Dayummm Drew that's awesome :oops:

Dayummm Drew that's awesome :oops:

It’s definitely fun when I start getting close. This particular album and the time it came out in was a year after I had started playing and a year and a half after seeing them, I was fanatical at this point, if I wasn’t watching the VHS I was listening to the cassettes and trying to play along. Putting that Strat together and finally really learning to play these songs is like snorting lines of nostalgia, it’s fucking awesome.

Gilmour's tone on Wearing the Inside Out is :chef too. All his tone is sweet though.

I love that song all around. He used his Workmate Tele on that solo, that one and the “Coming Back” solos. If you listen to the solos for “Poles Apart” (Strat), “A Great Day” (Gretsch) and “Wearing” (Tele) all back to back, it sounds like it’s pretty much the same rig, but a fairly obvious distinction in the guitars.

Division Bell is right up there with PULSE, before PULSE came out all I was listening to since the day it was released was DB. It’s kinda crazy to me that this music hits me exactly the same now at 40 as it did when I was 11. Even seeing/hearing things through a musician’s ear and the mystique has been lifted in that I actually understand what’s happening and these aren’t mythical gods, but I get lost in these songs, specifically Gilmour’s playing, exactly like I did back then.

Thank you for sharing it! I did not see it.

I am going to bring the Strat with EMG out of its case right now, and start fractalizing.

Let's share our presets to get the best ideas from each. I will share my work as soon as I got something (I have many things already, but I am going to start from scratch).

The first crucial point is: What IR? That guy is using a 1W Laney amp with a SM57 :rofl

Last edited:
Here is my first draft. A dirty recording, and the Axe-FX III preset

I have used nothing from that video. I haven't even finished watching it. Too much talk, as @James Freeman says. But this thread has been the inspiration to start tweaking gilmourthings again.

The preset is not from scratch, I have recycled old things.

I have chosen a 2x12 65 Bassguy DynaCab. It sounds good for this clean tone, but let's see how it behaves when I add distortion.

The preset contains borrowed things from certain individual that borrowed my Alembic F2B settings (I built myself an Alembic to clone it at the Axe-FX). After I spent a lot of time helping him to build his PF presets, he did not share anything with me, and he used my settings to sell his presets for money. So this is my revenge (I used a group-buy to get his presets, which are not so great unless a lot of tweak, for just few cents) :satan

EMG settings:
VOL= 10
EXG= 3
SPC = 8

Last edited:
F.U.C.K. SoundCloud!!!
1692417874950.png

Mr Bean Reaction GIF

I have uploaded the audio file to Mega

Last edited:
Here is my first draft. A dirty recording, and the Axe-FX III preset

I have used nothing from that video. I haven't even finished watching it. Too much talk, as @James Freeman says. But this thread has been the inspiration to start tweaking gilmourthings again.

The preset is not from scratch, I have recycled old things.

I have chosen a 2x12 65 Bassguy DynaCab. It sounds good for this clean tone, but let's see how it behaves when I add distortion.

The preset contains borrowed things from certain individual that borrowed my Alembic F2B settings (I built myself an Alembic to clone it at the Axe-FX). After I spent a lot of time helping him to build his PF presets, he did not share anything with me, and he used my settings to sell his presets for money. So this is my revenge (I used a group-buy to get his presets, which are not so great unless a lot of tweak, for just few cents) :satan

EMG settings:
VOL= 10
EXG= 3
SPC = 8

I know we've talked about this guy before, was it the Francesco dude? I've been using that PULSE pack as a starting point, it doesn't translate to the FW at all anymore and even when I first got it I had to dial the distortion back on everything, but the effects were pretty decent. At this point I've tweaked everything in them.

I gave up on trying to get the HiWatt and Tube Driver work, went to a Bassman instead, this is a 3 Knob Tube Dr in front of it. It’s really tricky getting the delay levels right, I have them cranked up, like 33% in the mix and the feedback is around 45% but they still aren’t as prominent. Only have the EXG/SPC on like 1-2 each.

Back