Gibson Les Paul vs Epiphone: Can you spot the Epiphone?

1. Les Paul Classic with 57+
2. Les Paul Studio with 498
3. Epiphone Adam Jones with Duncan Distortion

For me the 57+ is chewier, sings with leads and has great separation.

The 498 has more potential to have quack from the pick attack.

The Duncan Distortion has a thicker midrange and can get muddy at times.

Personally, they are all great and this Epiphone has changed my perception of the line. Though I still have a hard time with the look of the head stock.

Wow, I was totally wrong!

And yeah, the headstock is the ONLY thing keeping me away from an Epiphone. I've been wanting to try one regardless to see how they stack up to the Edwards. I was initially going to grab one of those Jones Epi's but between the headstock, prices and QC reports I figured I'd just hold off until I can play one and see how I feel about it once they've flooded the market with them.

Interesting, I never messed with the pole pieces, but I couldn't get anywhere with just pickup height adjustments. I replaced it with a pearly gates and was much happier though. Sadly that guitar is long gone

One thing we can't determine in a challenge like this is the feel of a pickup under our fingers.

My experience is that is sometimes more important (or at least as much so) as the tone. :idk

And yeah, the headstock is the ONLY thing keeping me away from an Epiphone. I've been wanting to try one regardless to see how they stack up to the Edwards. I was initially going to grab one of those Jones Epi's but between the headstock, prices and QC reports I figured I'd just hold off until I can play one and see how I feel about it once they've flooded the market with them.

I have a Cantrell Sig Epi, and it is pretty nice, but not as well put together as the Edwards.

This one is flawless as for as I can tell.

I gave a couple new USA models that have some small QC issues. Only visual so it's not an issue for me.

Oh, the AJ is for sale haha

feel of a pickup under our fingers
Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

I have a Cantrell Sig Epi, and it is pretty nice, but not as well put together as the Edwards.

That’s right, totally forgot about that.

It should be better than the Epi, Edwards on the used market usually run $1000-$1500 right? My new Epi 59 with Gibson Burstbusters was $599. Now sure how they are doing that since the pickups alone are around $300, but they are so who am I to complain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Cantrell Wino is around $899 brand new and these new Epi's are pretty good these days, IMO. I had 2 frets that needed leveling and I probably could have done it with a hard polish on them, but I had the tool so I leveled them. After that, a polish, and a setup and it great! Best Epi I have ever played.

I still want a Gibson LP one day though:sofa

I definitely think the last is the AJ Epi with the Distortion, but to be honest the 498s can be pretty mean sounding too. I don't think the guitar itself would have much effect to the tone, especially with gain.

I am going to guess:
1) 57+
2) 498
3) Duncan Distortion

Edit: just saw the answers posted already... :ROFLMAO: oh well. I still like the 498t overall in many situations!

I definitely think the last is the AJ Epi with the Distortion, but to be honest the 498s can be pretty mean sounding too. I don't think the guitar itself would have much effect to the tone, especially with gain.

I am going to guess:
1) 57+
2) 498
3) Duncan Distortion

Edit: just saw the answers posted already... :ROFLMAO: oh well. I still like the 498t overall in many situations!
Perfect!

It should be better than the Epi, Edwards on the used market usually run $1000-$1500 right? My new Epi 59 with Gibson Burstbusters was $599. Now sure how they are doing that since the pickups alone are around $300, but they are so who am I to complain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Cantrell Wino is around $899 brand new and these new Epi's are pretty good these days, IMO. I had 2 frets that needed leveling and I probably could have done it with a hard polish on them, but I had the tool so I leveled them. After that, a polish, and a setup and it great! Best Epi I have ever played.

I still want a Gibson LP one day though:sofa

Yup. Good points. Not really equivalent in terms of pricing. The Cantrell is great. Pickups kind of blow. I bought
a legit Gibson 498T to put in the Bridge spot some day. And at $899 it came with a nice Hardshell case. The Edwards
did not, and it was $1100 new.

The Epi is a tad muddy and not as articulate as the Edwards. That's what blows me away about the Edwards is how
resonant and vibrant it is.

Hope you get your Gibby some day. :beer

Yup. Good points. Not really equivalent in terms of pricing. The Cantrell is great. Pickups kind of blow. I bought
a legit Gibson 498T to put in the Bridge spot some day. And at $899 it came with a nice Hardshell case. The Edwards
did not, and it was $1100 new.

The Epi is a tad muddy and not as articulate as the Edwards. That's what blows me away about the Edwards is how
resonant and vibrant it is.

Hope you get your Gibby some day. :beer
Put some Classic 57's or 57 in the neck and a 57+ in the bridge. It should clear up a lot of that. That's what I put in my Epi ES335

I sold my last 3 Gibsons to finance an Harley (no regrets!) this past summer. There were things (little niggling things)
that I didn't dig about each of them (a Walnut 335, an '61 Reissue SG with Vibrola, and a 50s Traditional LP) and a bit
of that was the pickups. :idk

Appreciate the recommendations. :beer

I sold my last 3 Gibsons to finance an Harley (no regrets!) this past summer. There were things (little niggling things)
that I didn't dig about each of them (a Walnut 335, an '61 Reissue SG with Vibrola, and a 50s Traditional LP) and a bit
of that was the pickups. :idk

Appreciate the recommendations. :beer
I love the sound of the burstbusters in my LP, sorry I did not mention that too, lol...

Waiting for the Golden ears toanwood crew to chime in with 100% certainty which is which.

I dunno, I have personal experience with all 3 pickups in the OP and know what I like and dislike about them, so I tried to take the "tone only comes from pickups" approach that's been getting rammed down my ears lately to make my guesses and that was 0/3 for me. Turns out only a Gibson is good enough afterall :p:rollsafe

Back