Gee whiz, modeling is dead!

So genuine question - what kind of videos do people want to see?
I like a short history of the company and the gear being reviewed then an in depth playthrough with technical explanation of the circuit and what going on inside to produce this sound.

I like JHS videos about classic pedals, 5 Watt World, Plague Scythe Studios, and a like, basically the longer more in-depth videos.

I’m a big fan of Pete’s vids and on the flipside, I dig Ola’s vids where he opens something up, plugs it in and goes for it right there without knowing at all what he’s doing. I don’t really consider those Ola videos demos as at most he’s talking about features he hasn’t explored yet and I suppose I see them as the only part of an unboxing video I give a damn about; actually plugging the sh*t in.

One thing I think would go a long way and Pete did this in a forum post after the fact, but we often see the end result of geartubers testing out gear with other gear to get it to sound the best. I’d love to hear all the stuff it DIDN’T work with. When Pete did the SLO pedal he caught a lot of sh*t, as usual, because he made it sound good. He explained later at TheOtherPlace that he tried it with a few amps and didn’t get good results. I’d almost expect that to become a demand as time goes on and more people get sick of feeling like they’re watching commercials when they’re watching a gear demo.
I like Ola's vids, and I'm not even a chugger kind of player. But he's likable and dives right in.
Agree with what you're saying, and I can see adding that extra bit of cons being beneficial to new players. But I think Pete's pretty clear with his business model, if he doesn't jive with something in a big way, he just want make a vid. For experienced players we know how gear can be, it doesn't always work in every conceivable setup, so I don't expect someone like Pete to focus so much on that end of things. Unless it's from a functionality standpoint, routing, etc., which is always helpful.

Honestly this time:

For me, I'm tired of seeing a dude sit in front of a "studio" desk. I'm also tired of videos that are just about a piece of gear, how it works, and what it can do.

If I'm gonna watch gear videos, I want some sort of narrative, and not just 5-watt-worlds generic book report history narrative (I could rant about that guy for 7 pages if we wanna start a thread), but some honest introspective narrative, even if it makes people judge you as an idiot.

The best YouTube videos are the ones that are a story about one thing, but are a narrative about something else entirely. Like this dude:

For gear stuff, Strymon's "deep dive" videos are some of the best. They have their sound designer explain what they were going for with each feature and then showing what different settings for each control can do. That has sold me a lot of Strymon pedals I hadn't considered at first. Like if you take the Strymon Zelzah at face value you go "Why would anyone buy a really expensive phaser?" but when you see that it can be a chorus, flanger, vibrato, auto-wah and a lot of things in between, all in one based on just how you set it up, it starts to make a lot more sense.

I hate what some channels do where they are literally reading the product manual on the video rather than having taken some time to learn to work the pedal or amp before they started filming. To me that just wastes people's time. Then it becomes like an unboxing video and to me the only use for those is to see what's in the box if they don't state it on the product website.

I like Pete Thorn's videos where he has written a unique song and then breaks down how he got those tones with whatever he's demoing. He's a monster player and I enjoy the songs he writes for the videos as they are kind of in my wheelhouse. It ends up having double value where I learn a bit about his songwriting process and also about the gear.

One of the coolest videos I watched recently was when That Pedal Show had David Rainger of RaingerFx come in and explain why and how he made some of his rather unusual pedals. I would never buy any of them but I really appreciate how innovative they are and hearing the designer show what they can do is cool.

Regarding pedal reviews, since those have most importance to me:

- consistent amp and clean platform tone (Andy pulls this off like a boss, imho)

- talking only where necessary, and even then, please keep it basic but informative enough, and as objective as you can (too much talk -> I'll go watch elsewhere and remember to steer clear of your vids)

- single coils and humbuckers, please

- show settings at all times

- at least try and explore the pedal, search high and low for sweet spots, classic or unusual sounds, whatever (I hate drive reviews that ignore different gain settings, for example)

Probably more, but that's what comes to mind right off the bat.

Yup. The Internet is basically for three things: fart videos, screaming goat videos, and cats being cute while being insufferable a******s to dogs videos.
I have to admit some of the farting guys are pretty hilarious
It not so much the farts effects but his comments and the reactions
Like oh knew I shouldn’t have worn white today , as he is running past a group of girls

Or looks like Ithe browns are going to the super bowl

Back