Fractal Cygnus X2 (doesn’t matter which unit): too much bass?

Correct, there is no them or Us in this Forum, its all "We", unless you own a QC.
FIFY... :D

game on meme.jpg

JK...QC is fine, its mostly about the company.

Last edited:
Actually, I fixed it by moving to different brand IR’s for those amp models. For whatever reason, the YA stuff seems a bit more bassy than CelestionPlus IR’s.
That sounds like not solving the root cause though. Celestion's IRs are pretty shy on bass overall in my experience but I don't find YA boomy or anything.

Not Fractal related but I find it very strange that certain IR vendors have a 'sound' like Celestions offering.
Ruler flat solid state poweramp and coloration free mic preamps should be the norm when capturing IRs not the exception.

I don’t find them too bassy, no. Lots of things at play here you can narrow down, starting with:
Are they too bassy in a different room? How about on good headphones? How about when you change your seated position a little off axis? Move the chair back or forward? Does EVERYTHING sound bassy in this position? Do you find your mixes or sounds lack bass outside of your room? Any of the above points to room deficiencies which can include speaker placement too. Rule that out first.

Or…….maybe you just find that particular model with those particular IRs a bit bassy. The ecosystem has a ton of tools to tailor this to taste. Don’t be afraid to turn bass down to zero. On my REAL BE100, the bass is usually on 8 or higher and it’s been on 10. That’s where it sounds good to me.

This is kinda what I can’t stand about Fractal. The constant fiddlefucking is tiresome.
IMO not the case at all. Pick a few amps you like, a few IRs that work for you (factory, 3rd party, whatever you prefer) and that's going to work just fine going forward. I don't feel I need to do some major changes to all my presets between firmware versions or anything.

The weak link in most setups is always the output system. You will get vastly different results just from plugging in different headphones, let alone studio monitors in different rooms, PA speakers, poweramp and guitar cab etc.

I always thought the Freidman stuff IRL needed the bass knob CRANKED.
I've only tried the Runt and BE series and felt that those definitely did not need more bass through a Friedman 2x12 cab. If anything I was turning the bass down on those more than I did on the Bogner Goldfinger I had.

Last edited:
That sounds like not solving the root cause though. Celestion's IRs are pretty shy on bass overall in my experience but I don't find YA boomy or anything.

Agreed, Celestion stuff tends to be really thin sounding. York Audio is neutral for me and Ownhammer is typically bassy.

@paisleywookiee honestly sometimes I agree with you on fiddling around with the Fractal stuff, but I do think a lot of it comes down to monitoring and churning through cab/IR selections.

The last couple days I've been using the Michael Britt IR's (got those with the HX Stomp pack a few years ago), and I'm really happy with those right now. I got a Kemper last week and was comparing that against the Fractal and trying to reconcile the tonality. With the Kemper and MBritt profiles, it's warmer with a pronounced midrange, where the Fractal comparatively is a bit scooped with more highs and lows. There's a different tonality where the Kemper stuff sounds big in the low end, but the lows are actually tighter without as much flub. When I swap in the MBritt IR's, that seems to help a lot. I'm getting the more prominent midrange which is great for guitar, not as much deep bass, and not as much high treble.

If you have them, may be worth a shot trying them out. I'm using the "MB 212 412 3 Brt" one.

Ok, @paisleywookiee maybe you can try this test.

1. Select an empty preset.
  2. Add in signal chain IN1 -> Amp1 -> Cab1 -> OUT1.
  3. (optional) Add a Reverb1 after Cab1 if you want a bit of ambience to your sounds. Medium Room is a good starting point, adjust mix to taste.
  4. Open Axe-Change from the Axe/FMx-Edit menu.
  5. Select Cabs tab from the top.
  6. Search for "LT TV Mix 7". This is the cab you hear in a lot of Leon Todd videos.
  7. Save cab to device.
  8. Set Cab1 to use "LT TV Mix 7". No other adjustments.
  9. Set Amp1 to Dizzy V4 Silver 3.
Now the sound should be just a little bit muddy, boomy at the default settings. Try setting the amp to these settings:

1686673673335.png

Basically just a bit more gain, mids, treble and less bass. You can ignore the level setting here, adjust volume level to taste.

My setup: Skervesen Shoggie 8 with a BKP Juggernaut in the bridge -> Axe-Fx 3 -> Genelec M040 studio monitors. Placement of monitors is close to the wall due to shitty room with not many options. Bass cut on the back of speakers is set to -2 dB which helps, without it there's some boominess. Volume is pretty moderate, at least neighbors haven't complained yet.

On my system it sounds pretty mean with plenty of low end without being boomy. I roll off the volume and tone a bit to tame the highs and gain.

This is not going to work 1:1 with your setup but should give at least some indication. If it sounds super bassy, you might want to look at your speaker placement. If your speakers have bass cut features, enable them and see if that fixes the problem.

Ok, @paisleywookiee maybe you can try this test.

1. Select an empty preset.
  2. Add in signal chain IN1 -> Amp1 -> Cab1 -> OUT1.
  3. (optional) Add a Reverb1 after Cab1 if you want a bit of ambience to your sounds. Medium Room is a good starting point, adjust mix to taste.
  4. Open Axe-Change from the Axe/FMx-Edit menu.
  5. Select Cabs tab from the top.
  6. Search for "LT TV Mix 7". This is the cab you hear in a lot of Leon Todd videos.
  7. Save cab to device.
  8. Set Cab1 to use "LT TV Mix 7". No other adjustments.
  9. Set Amp1 to Dizzy V4 Silver 3.
Now the sound should be just a little bit muddy, boomy at the default settings. Try setting the amp to these settings:

View attachment 8116

Basically just a bit more gain, mids, treble and less bass. You can ignore the level setting here, adjust volume level to taste.

My setup: Skervesen Shoggie 8 with a BKP Juggernaut in the bridge -> Axe-Fx 3 -> Genelec M040 studio monitors. Placement of monitors is close to the wall due to sh*tty room with not many options. Bass cut on the back of speakers is set to -2 dB which helps, without it there's some boominess. Volume is pretty moderate, at least neighbors haven't complained yet.

On my system it sounds pretty mean with plenty of low end without being boomy. I roll off the volume and tone a bit to tame the highs and gain.

This is not going to work 1:1 with your setup but should give at least some indication. If it sounds super bassy, you might want to look at your speaker placement. If your speakers have bass cut features, enable them and see if that fixes the problem.
I’ll try that later, but I did a different test where I use the same IR, same guitar, same monitors, but Amplitube Mesa 2 with TC-100 ch.2, and then the Fractal TC-100 ch. 2. It’s definitely a parameter somewhere in the Fractal.

I think a lot of “too much bass” that a lot of people get are because they’re using speakers that are resting on desks without any isolation stands or isolation foam. If your whole desk is reverberating, you’re going to have too much bass.

I think a lot of “too much bass” that a lot of people get are because they’re using speakers that are resting on desks without any isolation stands or isolation foam. If your whole desk is reverberating, you’re going to have too much bass.
That's the thing though; my monitors are on isolation pads (Auralex), and using Amplitube's Triple Crown model with the same IR, it's sounds fine. It sounds amazing, actually. Obviously it's not the Fractal, I'm just missing something in the settings. Unfortunately though, it's not as simple as just dialing in the amp as you would the real one, like it's supposed to be.

Back